The Virgin's Daughters: In the Court of Elizabeth I

by Jeane Westin | History |
Registered by winglauraloo29wing of Edmonton, Alberta Canada on 6/26/2012
Journal Entry 1 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, June 26, 2012
The story of Elizabeth I, as it''s never been told before-through the eyes of two ladies-in-waiting closest to her...

In a court filled with repressed sexual longing, scandal, and intrigue, Lady Katherine Grey is Elizabeth''s most faithful servant. When the young queen is smitten by the dashing Robert Dudley, Katherine must choose between duty and desire-as her secret passion for a handsome earl threatens to turn Elizabeth against her. Once the queen becomes a bitter and capricious monarch, another lady-in-waiting, Mistress Mary Rogers, offers the queen comfort. But even Mary cannot remain impervious to the court''s sexual tension-and as Elizabeth gives her doomed heart to the mercurial Earl of Essex, Mary is drawn to the queen''s rakish godson...

Journal Entry 2 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (6/28/2012 UTC) at Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sending as part of the Summer Gift Giving to Boekentrol. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Friday, August 03, 2012
Thank you SO much for this unexpected surprise!! For sending me this wishlist book along with stamps, sweets, and fridge magnets! It is really a wonderful surprise :-)

Thank you, you rock! (I'll look for you on FB and/ or Twitter, thanks for the card!)

Journal Entry 4 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, May 01, 2016
After reading the first 191 pages, I was very excited. Loved the book, despite I usually do not like sighing ladies, love affairs and court intrigues.

But the I got a cold shower: part 2 starts with a new mistress, the queen much older and more or less the same setting.

I has seen on the back cover that the story involved 2 ladies of the court, but I had no idea that this form was chosen to tell their stories.

I can't start over right away after having liked lady Katherine so much and imagined her life and all she has been through.
At page 236, knowing for sure that Katherine won't return to the story, I'm abandoning it.
For me, it could have better been two books. The part I read however, gets a high note, because I liked it so much 😀

Journal Entry 5 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, May 05, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (5/6/2016 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

This book will be travelling to one of the participants in Oppem's Birthday RABCK Group 2016.

Happy Birthday!!

Happy reading, I hope you like the book I picked :-)

Journal Entry 6 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Vancouver, Washington USA on Thursday, June 30, 2016
Received this wishlist book for my birthday. I'm so excited to read it! Hoping to find some time soon to read it! Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 7 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Vancouver, Washington USA on Friday, July 07, 2017
I really liked this book. I really liked Katherine Grey's character and it took me awhile to like Mary Rogers. In the end, I was very engrossed in this book and could barely put it down. I just can't get enough of Tudor history and this was an interesting look at Elizabeth through her ladies in waiting. Will find a new home for it soon.

Journal Entry 8 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at ~ An Exchange!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, July 08, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (7/10/2017 UTC) at ~ An Exchange!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Headed off to elizardbreath in a box full of Tudor history (and a few others). Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by wingelizardbreathwing at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Wednesday, July 12, 2017
I'm looking forward to learning all about the Tudors! Thanks so much!

Journal Entry 10 by wingelizardbreathwing at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Sunday, August 27, 2017
Excellent! I really loved these two stories about some of the most well-known figures in the court of Elizabeth I. It helped knowing (from previous JEs) that I was going to get two stories on different time lines. Once I finished the first one about Kate Grey, I put it aside for a couple hours before starting the story about Mary Rogers. I thought I would end up liking the Kate Grey story better but now that I'm done with Mary's I barely remember Kate's! Part of me wants to go research how her story really turned out and part of me wants to leave it alone as I enjoyed it so much!

I began this book on the heels of Alison Weir's The Life of Elizabeth I, and already had a strong dislike for this queen. Knowing the heartbreaking story of Katherine Grey didn't make her tale any easier to read and left me despising QEI all the more. I didn't know much at all about Mary Rogers' life but the end made me think QEI to be such a selfish woman---using everyone's lives to feed her flighty whims. One thing I appreciate the most about this author is she allowed both women to enter their romantic relationships as "honest women", though I'm removing two stars for unnecessarily descriptive sex scenes.

I'll put this aside to pass on to another Tudor fan!

Sending to a paperbackswap.com member in Ohio. Enjoy!

To the finder of this book:

Thanks, and Happy BookCrossing! :)

Journal Entry 12 by sl1mak at Oberlin, Ohio USA on Monday, January 28, 2019
Received the book from a paperbackswap member in Arkansas. Thanks so much! Excited to read it!