Why Not?: Fifteen Reasons to Live

by Ray Robertson | Philosophy |
ISBN: 1926845277 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingPooker3wing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 6/23/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, June 23, 2012
Purchased from McNally Robinson November, 2011.

November 25, 2011:
Okay, this is not yet a review. I've only read one of the essays since I bought the book last night but I did want to write down a few words to remind myself of the evening during which I bought the book.

I really enjoy the way this author writes. My favourite of his books is Gently Down the Stream. When I told him so at the signing session after his reading from Why Not?, he said his publisher would be happy to hear that. From that I surmised that it was not his own favourite. Maybe I should have asked him which one was, but I didn't. We went on to chat about the cover, when I told him that the cover was one of the things that had first attracted me to the book, he said his wife would be happy to hear that. He disclosed that the dog on the cover was their dog, Barney (Barry in the book) and that they've since added another dog to their family...Henry. When I asked if they only acquired male dogs, he responded that they got their dogs from the humane society and that it did not matter whether the dog was male or female only that it was the animal most needing a home. How could you not love a man like that? Actually I should say, how could you not love a couple like that? Indeed, it was they who gave a home to Barney and Henry. I met Ray's wife that night too and had the chance to exchange a few words. Afterward, I thought how nice it was to see that. I don't imagine it's great fun for a spouse to tag along on these sorts of trips, staying in one city just long enough to check into a hotel, attend the reading and check out, but the sharing of that experience strikes me as supportive and somehow special.

June 29, 2012:

I've now read all 15 of the essays, 15 reasons to live, some of them more than once, and, unlike the way I tend to read a book of short stories, greedily gobbling those down one after the other, I read Robertson's essays one at a time with gobs of time in between. I don't know if that was the best way to go about it. They were all interesting to me. His reasons (among them: work, art, love, friendship)were supported by personal anecdotes and philosophies and historical perspectives. These were, of course, Ray Robertson's reasons. They would not necessarily be mine or yours and some of them, taken on their own - individually that is - would not be enough to keep me from slitting my throat, I don't think. The essay about intoxication for example. Oh, I do like a good intoxicating experience now and then, but I doubt that would be enough if I was lacking in everything else, especially when the effects wore off.

The essay on love was just so lovely that I thought, "What if you did not have that? Reading about how wonderful and protective love can be and knowing you didn't have that, wouldn't you find life all that more painful?"

So then I thought, "Okay, maybe you don't need to have 15 reasons. But how many would be enough to sustain a person? One? Five? Seven out of fifteen isn't even a passing grade."

I don't know that, if in the throws of depression, reading Why Not? would be a life line to me personally, but I certainly enjoyed reading Robertson's answers to the question, what makes a life worth living. And I'm glad he was able to tot up 15 good ones.

Journal Entry 2 by wingPooker3wing at Little Free Library #2873 in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, November 03, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (11/3/2012 UTC) at Little Free Library #2873 in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

This book awaits a new reader at Little Free Library #2873. Will it be you?

To the finder of this book:
I hope you enjoy your new read.

Welcome, also, to the wonderful and wacky world of BookCrossing! Here you'll find a unique and worldwide community of book lovers sharing their books. This book is now yours! Read it, enjoy it. Keep it or pass it on to someone you know, return it to any Little Free Library or even release it into the wild. It is all up to you.

If you make a journal entry (you can do it anonymously or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this book will be notified by e-mail and can follow this book on its travels. BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your email address) and it's a whole lot of fun!

Journal Entry 3 by wingPooker3wing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, June 24, 2013
This book enjoyed a good run at the Little Free Library. It was borrowed and returned several times until I removed it about a month ago to make room for some new stock. I planned to give it a new adventure by releasing it into the wild for the Canada Day release challenge. And that's exactly what I'm doing. :)

Released 6 yrs ago (6/24/2013 UTC) at Woodsworth Building - 405 Broadway (at Edmonton) in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I left it on a bench on the front porch.

This book was released for the 2013 Canada Day release challenge that is running from June 22 to July 1st in celebration of Canadian books and authors. Read Canadian books!

To the finder of this book:

I hope you enjoy this wonderful book by a Canadian author as much as I did. Happy Canada Day on July 1!