Isolde, Queen of the Western Isle (Tristan and Isolde Novels, Book 1)

by Rosalind Miles | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Dove-i-Libri of Cape Coral, Florida USA on 6/21/2012
Journal Entry 1 by Dove-i-Libri from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, June 21, 2012

In the golden time of Arthur and Guenevere, the Island of the West shines like an emerald in the sea—one of the last strongholds of Goddess-worship and Mother-right. Isolde is the only daughter and heiress of Ireland’s great ruling queen, a lady as passionate in battle as she is in love. La Belle Isolde, like her mother, is famed for her beauty, but she is a healer instead of a warrior, “of all surgeons, the best among the isles.” A natural peacemaker, Isolde is struggling to save Ireland from a war waged by her dangerously reckless mother. The Queen is influenced by her lover, Sir Marhaus, who urges her to invade neighboring Cornwall and claim it for her own, a foolhardy move Isolde is determined to prevent. But she is unable to stop them. King Mark of Cornwall sends forth his own champion to do battle with the Irish—Sir Tristan of Lyonesse—a young, untested knight with a mysterious past. A member of the Round Table, Tristan has returned to the land of his birth after many years in exile, only to face Ireland’s fiercest champion in combat. When he lies victorious but near death on the field of battle, Tristan knows that his only hope of survival lies to the West. He must be taken to Ireland to be healed, but he must go in disguise—for if the Queen finds out who killed her beloved, he will follow Marhaus into the spirit world. His men smuggle him into the Queen’s fort at Dubh Lein, and beg the princess to save him.

From this first meeting of star-crossed lovers, an epic story unfolds. Isolde’s skill and beauty impress Tristan’s uncle, King Mark of Cornwall, and—knowing nothing of her love for Tristan—he decides to make her his queen, a match her mother encourages as a way to bind their lands under one rule. Tristan and Isolde find themselves caught in the crosscurrents of fate, as Isolde is forced to marry a man she does not love. Taking pity on her daughter, the Queen gives her an elixir that will create in her a passion for King Mark and ensure that their love will last until death. But on the voyage to Ireland, Tristan and Isolde drink the love potion by accident, sealing their already perilous love forever.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Purchased more than five years ago, never got around to reading this. Even though I'm still interested, I have so many other books to read that I'm sending it out into the world.

Journal Entry 2 by Dove-i-Libri at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Thursday, June 21, 2012
Offered as a RABCK with its sister book The Maid of the White Hands at this Forum Thread: CLICK HERE

Accepted by HeartThumper. Will be sent out tomorrow.

Journal Entry 3 by wingheartthumperwing at Hutchinson, Kansas USA on Wednesday, July 11, 2012
It's here. Can hardly wait to start it. Thank you so much.

Journal Entry 4 by wingheartthumperwing at Hutchinson, Kansas USA on Wednesday, January 29, 2014
Started it yesterday, finished it today. Already started the second book. It was really good. I had never read anything about these two and have never seen the movie. Really kept my interest. It was hard to put down.

Released 5 yrs ago (2/15/2014 UTC) at BOOK BOX in -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA

Added to the Historical Fiction Book Box.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Sunday, March 09, 2014
Selecting from emmejo's Historical Fiction Bookbox, thanks for including it for me to find. Found another copy of this one in my piles of books so this copy is available

Journal Entry 7 by wingbookstogivewing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (1/14/2015 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Releasing as a selection from the General Literature VBB, Happy Reading!

To the finder of this book:

BookCrossing is free to join and a great deal of fun, completely confidential, and you may remain anonymous. If you choose to join please consider using me BOOKSTOGIVE as your referring member.

Journal Entry 8 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, March 14, 2015
So this book had done some travelling around the US and has now returned home to Lee County, FL. I wonder where it will travel after I read it.

Journal Entry 9 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, October 27, 2018
Almost stopped reading but decided to continue. It did get some better. I never connected with characters nor did I care what happened to them. The family tree and map in the beginning was helpful.