Edinburgh Dead

by Brian Ruckley | Horror |
Registered by LaPitchoune of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 6/17/2012
Journal Entry 1 by LaPitchoune from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, June 17, 2012
There is a law against murder. But there are no laws for the dead.
***
In the starkly lit operating theaters of the city, grisly experiments are being carried out on corpses in the name of science. But elsewhere, there are those experimenting with more sinister forces.

What a delightful surprise. It had been a while since I had read a genuine horror book. Moreover, this one is situated in Edinburgh, my favourite city, around the Victorian year 1828. This was the year of the the Burke and Hare murders, whence the novel draws inspiration. There are references to historical figures, and some of the the places can be recognized, if one's lucky to be familiar with the Edinburgh of today. One of the reigning locations is, of course,the majestic geological high point of the city, Arthur's Seat.

The plot of the novel wasn't credible at all points, but overall it was magically captivating. I couldn't put the book down unless I absolutely had to. I loved the sinister atmosphere, which reminded me of Resident Evil and some other classic horror stories. Also, Ruckley's language appealed to me. I recommend this to any fans of horror and dark, grim and gloomy Scotland!

I'd hate to have this book go to waste, so I'm considering a book ring or ray, if there are readers who are interested in sharing this experience with me.

Journal Entry 2 by LaPitchoune at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, June 21, 2012
The book will set out in a ray as follows:

LaPitchoune (Fin - ships int'l)
PJLBewdy (Aus - ships int'l)
Bookworm-lady (EU - ships EU)
Earthcaroleanne (EU - ships EU)
Nell-Lu (UK - ships UK?)
Sorcheen (EU - ships int'l)
Shwooz (US - ships US/Can) <------------------- here
Mssaver (US - ships US/Can, possibly int'l)
Silvia-pco (EU, ships int'l)
Sannuli (Fin)

Journal Entry 3 by PJLBewdy at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, August 07, 2012
It arrived safely. Looking forward to reading this book and I should be able to get to it fairly soon. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 4 by PJLBewdy at Salamander Bay, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, August 30, 2012
Enjoyed: The Edinburgh setting and the quality of the writing
Didn't enjoy: The somewhat circuitous plot structure.
I'm not sorry that I read this book but it didn't pass the 'I wish it would never end' test. I was actually a bit 'over' it by the time I finished. Quire is an interesting character but a strait laced and fairly humourless one. Thanks to LaPitchoune for sharing. Will get this book off to Spain on the next leg of its travels soon.

Journal Entry 5 by PJLBewdy at Salamander Bay, New South Wales Australia on Friday, September 07, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (9/7/2012 UTC) at Salamander Bay, New South Wales Australia

Off it goes to Spain - enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, September 17, 2012
Received today; thanks, PJLBewdy, for sending it all the way from Australia; and thanks, LaPitchoune, for sharing it.
Looking forward to reading it, as soon as I finish the book I am reading now...

Journal Entry 7 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, October 03, 2012
Currently reading it; I will ask for Earthcaroleanne's address.
Thanks for sharing! :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, October 11, 2012
I'm halfway through it; though the plot is interesting, I am finding it hard to read... Maybe it's me...
Anyway, just wanted to let you know it will be on its way to Earthcaroleanne as soon as I finish it.
Sorry about the delay!

Journal Entry 9 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, October 21, 2012
I'm giving up on this one...
Really interesting plot, but there is something about its characters which just doesn't grab me, it lacks that "page-turner" quality...
Having said that, it was great reading about some places in Edinburgh I have had the pleasure to visit on two occasions... A most amazing city!
Maybe I would appreciate it more at some other stage in my life, I don't know.
Anyway, thanks for sharing it, La Pitchoune; I won't keep it any longer, and send it soon to Earthcaroleanne.

Journal Entry 10 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, October 22, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (10/22/2012 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent today to Earthcaroleanne in Scotland.
Good Halloween reading; I hope you'll like it... :)

Journal Entry 11 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, October 25, 2012
This has arrived! A perfect Halloween book - it may jump up the pile.

Journal Entry 12 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, November 05, 2012
I absolutely loved this book. I love Edinburgh; I love the architecture and the history and I have a morbid fascination with the body snatchers and the anatomists. I especially loved the descriptions of the wynds and closes and I've sat in the old anatomy theatre so I could picture a lot of it. I was so pleased that the historial facts were correct, as far as I knew. I even learned something as I investigated the Holy, Happy & Just Lands as I had never heard of them before. Thank you so much for sending this out in a bookray.

Journal Entry 13 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, November 05, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (11/5/2012 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

On its way in the bookray.

Journal Entry 14 by Nell-Lu at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, November 08, 2012
This arrived yesterday -- many thanks earthcaroleanne for sending it to me, and LaPitchoune for starting the bookray. I'm looking forward to reading The Edinburgh Dead; I'll start it as soon as I finish my current book.

Journal Entry 15 by Nell-Lu at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, November 12, 2012
I enjoyed this, particularly the Edinburgh setting and history. Thanks for sharing!

I PMed Sorcheen to ask for an address when I received the book, but haven't yet received a reply. I'll PM again now.

Journal Entry 16 by Nell-Lu at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, November 12, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (11/12/2012 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

I have sorcheen's address now, so this will continue on its travels. Happy reading, sorcheen!

Journal Entry 17 by sorcheen at Duisburg, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, November 23, 2012
The book has arrived - thank you! I like the fact that it's coming straight from Edinburgh! :) I'll start reading as soon as possible, looking forward to it!

Journal Entry 18 by sorcheen at Duisburg, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, February 05, 2013
I really enjoyed this book - especially liked the setting, of course!
It's on its way to Shwooz now.
Thank you very much for sharing!

Journal Entry 19 by Shwooz at Menominee, Michigan USA on Saturday, February 16, 2013
Got the book earlier in the week. Will get started on it shortly.