Summertime

by J.M. Coetzee | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winglamelemonwing of București, Wallachia Romania on 6/16/2012
Journal Entry 1 by winglamelemonwing from București, Wallachia Romania on Saturday, June 16, 2012
[back cover blurb]

A young English biographer is working on a book about the late writer, John Coetzee. He plans to focus on a period in the seventies when, the biographer senses, Coetzee was 'finding his feet as a writer". He embarks on a series of interviews with people who were important to Coetzee - a married woman with whom he had an affair, his favourite cousin Margot, a Brazilian dancer whose daughter had English lessons with him, former friends and colleagues. Thus emerges a portrait of the young Coetzee as an awkward, bookish individual, regarded as an outsider within the family. His insistence on doing manual work, his long hair and beard, and rumours that he writes poetry evoke nothing but suspicion in the South Africa of the time.

Journal Entry 2 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Tuesday, July 31, 2012
What a nice book to finish July with. I loved Coetzee's fictitious biography and will be on the lookout for the rest of the series (Boyhood and Youth).

Soon to be sent to blue-berry as part of the Wishlist Tag Game.

Journal Entry 3 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (8/8/2012 UTC) at București, Wallachia Romania

Now travelling to Blue-Berry for the wishlist tag game. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by Blue_berry at Croydon, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Thank you lamelemon for sending this book as a part of wishlist tag game! I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 5 by Blue_berry at Croydon, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 24, 2013
I enjoyed this book a lot - Coetzee's language and dry sense of humour is excellent. I have no idea if there is any truth in the character assasination which he subjects himself into but it makes an original portrait of outsider.

Journal Entry 6 by Blue_berry at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (4/24/2013 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

Sending to the next reader as a part of the wishlist tag game, enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by dutch-book at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, May 26, 2013
Totallg forgot to journal this one. It starts good. Thanks for sending!

Journal Entry 8 by dutch-book at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Tuesday, December 18, 2018
I've finished the book today. And I think it was an okay book. So okay in fact that I just now had to think really hard what the story was about and if I liked it, and I finished it three hours ago! It is a bit forgettable, just like the Coetzee in the story was, actually.
This book is going on the AVL-stack.