Lost and Found: A Novel

by Carolyn Parkhurst | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 6/16/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, June 16, 2012
I added this book to my wishlist a while back because I heard part of the storyline includes a reality show similar to The Amazing Race (which I love). I found this copy recently at the Book Thing.

From Amazon.com -
What do a suburban mom, her troubled daughter, divorced brothers, former child stars, born-again Christians, and young millionaires have in common? They have all been selected to compete on LOST AND FOUND, the daring new reality show. In teams of two, they will race across the globe - from Egypt to England, from Japan to Sweden - to battle for a million-dollar prize. They must decipher encrypted clues, recover mysterious artifacts, and outwit their opponents to stay in play.

Yet what started as a lark turns deadly serious as the number of players is whittled down, temptations beckon, and the bonds between partners strain and unravel. The question now is not only who will capture the final prize, but at what cost.

Journal Entry 2 by wing6of8wing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Wednesday, June 06, 2018
Sadly, MaryZee passed suddenly in September 2012. MaryZee's daughter is now ready to rehome her mom's books and I was willing to collect and redistribute them to keep her literary legacy alive.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 17, 2018
One of the books from maryzee's collection 6of8 gave me to help distribute.

Journal Entry 4 by wingSpatialwing at A Friend, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 25, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (10/24/2018 UTC) at A Friend, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

Congratulations! You've found a traveling book!
See where I've been and track where I go by creating an account and writing a journal entry for this book.
Wish to remain anonymous? Then no need to create an account, just write a journal entry letting us know where you found the book and review it if you like.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, October 29, 2018
The wonderful surprise box-o-books arrived today - many thanks! (It's especially touching to see another of maryzee's books.) And, like maryzee herself, the story sounds fascinating - I'm a long-time fan of "The Amazing Race", and while I hope it doesn't get ugly behind the scenes, I can imagine how the stress might make things... interesting! Will definitely read this one.

Later: I really enjoyed this, in part for its behind-the-scenes-of-reality-show aspect and multiple viewpoints, but also for the depth of the main characters. There's the husband and wife who've each come through a "pray away the gay" experience - their internal monologues reveal the extent of the lies they've told themselves, but they each had different reasons for doing as they did, and different ways of adapting to change as the pressures of the game unfold); the mother-and-daughter, whose relationship could be an ordinary strained teen-and-mom situation but is complicated by several factors, including the daughter's surprise pregnancy - and the reveal that the girl's gay and only went with her boyfriend due to social pressure; there's a fading celebrity who's angling to use the show to get back in the public eye, and isn't fussy about how to get there; and other characters, including contestants and key members of the production staff.

I enjoyed the mechanics of the game, too, though I wouldn't want to play it; "Amazing Race" is tough enough, and this one throws in some increasingly obscure riddles that I know I couldn't do under pressure. But the ways in which the teams reacted, the manipulation behind the scenes, the developing and changing relationships - it was all a very entertaining read. (Though I wish Justin had had a better outcome...)

I should add that bits of it are very funny, not least because its scavenger-hunt aspect forces the competitors to carry around an increasing number of weird items, from a single ski pole to a live parrot. (The parrots are swapped out regularly, to save the birds from too much stress. Yes, I worried about this; yes, the producers planned for it {wry grin}.)

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Ohio Rd in Tyngsboro, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, November 18, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (11/19/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Ohio Rd in Tyngsboro, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in this handsome and roomy Tardis-themed Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2018 E-less release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Tyngsboro, Massachusetts USA on Friday, March 29, 2019
This book was left in my little free library and I decided to read it before sending it back out into the world. A quick fun read that was surprisingly touching.