True Confessions of a Heartless Girl

by Martha Brooks | Teens |
Registered by wingrureadingwing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 6/13/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingrureadingwing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, June 13, 2012
Martha Brooks is a master of the short story providing great characters in a believable slice of life. I could not turn away from the trainwreck of Noreen's life, and had to see how it was resolved.

Selected for the Canada Day Release Challenge hosted by gypsysmom, June 23 - July 2 2012, releasing books by Canadian authors and this year's theme - books by author Margaret Laurence. Martha Brooks is a Canadian author of YA fiction from Winnipeg.

...
This book's journey continues by its finder's cooperation and creativity. By making a journal entry on this book, you can add to the book's story as it travels from reader to reader around the world. Read it, share it, and pass it on! Thanks!

Journal Entry 2 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, June 14, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (6/14/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Sent to the winner of the 2012 International Canadian Literature Sweepstakes hosted by Fracula.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, June 20, 2012
This is so much fun. Books arrive in my mailbox every day or so from near and far. I've never read anything by Martha Brooks so I'm very pleased to receive this book. And I love the label you have designed for the release challenge (a beaver reading a BookCrossing book).

Journal Entry 4 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, May 18, 2013
This was a terrific book and I can't believe that the author is the same Martha Brooks as the jazz performer that I have seen many times. How does one person combine such different talents and excel at them all?

Noreen is a 17 year old who doesn't get along with her mother or her stepfather but who does have a stepsister who cares for her. However, Noreen runs away from her stepsister's home in Winnipeg with a boyfriend who then abandons her in Saskatoon. Hitching back to Winnipeg Noreen she is picked up by Wesley Cuthand, a labourer in Brandon. Wesley takes her back to Winnipeg but Noreen decides to move in with him and live in Brandon. They have some blissful times but Noreen manages to demolish that relationship. She takes Wesley's truck and drives into a small town called Pembina Lake. She parks outside of the town's only cafe and goes in for a coffee. Lynda, the owner of the cafe, is barely making ends meet but she offers Noreen a bed for the night when it is obvious she has no place to go. Lynda and the other residents of the town try to help Noreen but at every turn Noreen manages to rebuff their friendship and help. Oh yes, and she also finds out she is pregnant.

For such a small book there is a lot packed into it. Noreen's story is just part of it; almost every character has some tragedy or loss to overcome. I absolutely loved Dolores, the wise old woman who knows just how to help everyone else, but she has also suffered loss and is still grieving.

Martha Brooks was raised at the Manitoba Tuberculosis Sanatorium in Ninette Manitoba. Ninette is a small town located on Pelican Lake and I'm sure Pembina Lake is based upon Ninette. I see Brooks has written a book called Queen of Hearts which is set in a tuberculosis sanatorium. I think I am going to have to get my hands on it soon.

Thanks rureaading for introducing me to a Manitoban writer that I probably never would have met otherwise because I thought her books were just for young adults. Just another reminder that book categories are a recommendation not a restriction. I'll be passing this along during the 2013 Canada Days release challenge.

Released 6 yrs ago (6/29/2013 UTC) at Laura Ingles Wilder Gift Shop & Tour Beginning in De Smet, South Dakota USA

As a young girl I read all of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books and when I realized that we were camping less than 50 miles away from her home on which she based The Little House on the Prairie I had to visit. Unfortunately a nap and many stops to look at birds meant we got there too late to go on a tour so we just looked around and then left this book. I like to think that if Laura Ingalls Wilder was writing today she might have written something like this book.

This release is for the 2013 Canada Days release challenge which seeks to get Canadian books into the hands of new readers and for the 2013 52 Towns in 52 Weeks release challenge - Town #16.