Short Girls

by Bich Minh Nguyen | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 6/10/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, June 10, 2012
From the back:

"Aside from their petite stature, Van and Linny Luong couldn't be more different. Diligent, unassuming Van works as an immigration lawyer in the Michigan suburbs, but no one knows that her picture-perfect marriage has suddenly evaporated. Beautiful, fashionable Linny lives in Chicago and has drifted into a dead-end affair with a married man. And though they both feel untethered and burdened by their secrets, they've never been able to confide in each other.

To celebrate his upcoming citizenship oath and to improve prospects of his invention the 'Luong Arm' - an instrument to help short people grasp objects that are out of reach - their eccentric father calls them back to the Vietnamese American community they fled long ago. Called 'a writer to watch, a tremendous talent' by the Chicago Tribune, Bich Minh Nguyen makes her fiction debut with this deeply moving and entertaining story of two Vietnamese sisters who discover a new, enduring connection that will see them through the pitfalls and triumphs of a truly modern American story."

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, December 10, 2018
Enjoyable, fluently told story of two Vietnamese-American sisters trying to fit in to two cultures and discover their true selves. I especially enjoyed the first half of the book, getting to know the characters and the setting. The second half felt a bit hurried and some parts of it a bit unmotivated. The relationship between Van and Miles, in particular, felt unbelievable in its lack of communication. Maybe it's something about the East Asian mentality that I've often found difficult to relate to. All in all, though, a recommended read!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, March 08, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (3/8/2019 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

You picked this from the First Sentence VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, March 13, 2019
Thank you, well received; maybe not something I would have picked myself, but I think I will enjoy reading it! :)