Alone in Berlin

by Hans Fallada | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 014118938X Global Overview for this book
Registered by Kleofas of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 5/31/2012
Journal Entry 1 by Kleofas from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, May 31, 2012
'Terrific... a fast-moving,important and astutely deadpan thriller' - Irish Times

Journal Entry 2 by Kleofas at Cafe Kleofas in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, May 31, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (5/31/2012 UTC) at Cafe Kleofas in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Newly added. Starts its "into the wild" journey in Kleofas Cafe.

Journal Entry 3 by teapot at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, September 15, 2012
Found it on the shelf at Kleofas cafe on Gorgie rd. Always wanted to read it! Very excited!

Journal Entry 4 by teapot at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 23, 2013
Incredibly well written and translated, it's almost hard to believe that this was written over 60 years ago, the sentiments and moral issues are all still relevant.

The petty criminals Kluge and Borkhausen, and the staff at Gestapo headquarters are particularly intriguing. Otto Quangel, one of the main protagonists, is a bit less sharply defined. His motivation seems unclear, and he doesn't really appear to have had any feelings for his son when he was still alive, let alone risk his life in reaction to the news of his death.

The interrogation and prison scenes are genuinely frightening, and the oppressive atmosphere is very effective.

The plot may not be the most fast paced of thrillers, but still a very interesting, sometimes unpleasant, thought-provoking read.

Journal Entry 5 by teapot at Pallini, Attica Greece on Friday, May 01, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (4/30/2015 UTC) at Pallini, Attica Greece

Sending to Greece as a book exchange!

Journal Entry 6 by alexotanil at Pallini, Attica Greece on Monday, May 11, 2015
My friend Konstantinos is mad about this book and always pushed me to read it. I've read Fallada's "Drinker" instead (I loved it) and now it's time for taking a walk "Alone in Berlin"! Thank you, teapot! :)

Journal Entry 7 by alexotanil at Pallini, Attica Greece on Thursday, October 01, 2015
I hate to admit it but I was so disappointed reading this book. I assumed it would be a real depiction of life under the Third Reich but I didn't get any of that. The main story was really touching but the sub plots bothered me so much that I barely got past them. I believe the main problem was the lack of consistency. I have read "The Drinker" and I was astonished by Fallada's talent. But he wrote "Alone in Berlin" in only 24 days - and it shows. Maybe if he worked a bit more on the text this could have been a masterpiece but now it's just a good story with a flat narrative. Or maybe I just had way too high expectations.

Journal Entry 8 by alexotanil at Homesick café in Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Friday, October 02, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (10/2/2015 UTC) at Homesick café in Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece

In the bookcrossing zone for somebody else to find.

Journal Entry 9 by Alerion at Haarlem, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, February 01, 2017
I just realised I had this book in my hands but had never caught it. I am ashamed.

Anyway I just finished it and here is my review:
Hmm not sure what I should say about this book. It left me with mixed feelings and thus a medium rating. Not a really bad book, but nothing amazing. It is basic the story of a couple during the Second World War in Germany and their effort to resist the totalitarian governing of Hitler. I appreciate the fact that the writer did not go through in describing in detail the tortures and the way of interrogating, but still he doesn't lose the ability to create feelings (pity, anger, despair) for the heroes. There were points where I had to press myself not to quit it, but in total I think it was worthy. After all it is based on a real case and it does show up to a point the fear and the terror the regime had created inside Germany.

My favourite character was surprisingly detective Escherich.