Daphne du Maurier

by Margaret Forster | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingelizardbreathwing of Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on 5/27/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingelizardbreathwing from Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Sunday, May 27, 2012
I read about this biography in Susan Toth's "England: As You Like It". I requested this copy from paperbackswap.com.

Journal Entry 2 by wingelizardbreathwing at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Saturday, December 28, 2013
My feelings are mixed on this one. I'm glad I read it, yet I'm disappointed that I spent so much time on, what seemed like, a biased and somewhat contrived biography. I don't, at all, claim to be an expert on du Maurier, but I have read several of her works and I think the author is making a pretty big deal out of her supposed sexual "issues". WAY too much time was spent on the author's sex life, lack of sex life, imagined sex life, and the author's obsession with du Maurier's (maybe?) lesbian tendencies. Surely, there was more that influenced her writing than her issues about sex. I feel like this author made du Maurier seem a shallow and spoiled young and middle-aged woman---and a crochety, demented elderly woman.

I had just finished reading du Maurier's, The House On The Strand, before I started this one and was excited to see that the names and places in the novel are real! I really enjoyed this fantastical story and am excited to look for another of her's, The Scapegoat.

I'll be releasing this one eventually. It's one of those that could get sort of lost and put away if not released to just the right person, so I'll sit on it a bit (it's so big, I literally could!) and see if I can find a good fit for it.

Released 7 yrs ago (2/7/2014 UTC) at A Bookcrosser in Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

I'm sending this to my Valentine's exchange partner, jennyc1230. While searching your book lists, I saw that one of your favorite books is Du Maurier's, Rebecca. It's also one of my favorites and one of the reasons I picked up this biography. There were some slow parts to this one but, as a whole, I enjoyed it and think it was worth reading. I do think the author wanted to stir up a bit of drama (seemed a little British-tabloidish in places) but still good. Hope you enjoy this one!

To the finder of this book:

Thanks, and Happy BookCrossing! :)

Journal Entry 4 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Wednesday, February 12, 2014
Thank you so much! This will be an interesting book. I love Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, I think it's the only book I've read by her, but I love to read about the authors behind my favorite books/movies, etc. I appreciate you thinking of me and picking such a wonderful book for my Valentine's exchange gift.

Journal Entry 5 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, May 10, 2014
My Review: I read this one awhile ago, but forgot to journal with my review. I love the book Rebecca by this author, so I was interested in reading more about Daphne du Maurier. It's interesting that so many creative people are so gifted in creative things, but very confused and emotionally immature in their personal life.

Putting into my bookbox: Virtual Biography/Auto-Biography/Humor Bookbox, for Round #6.

Journal Entry 6 by JennyC1230 at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (5/21/2015 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sending to JudySlump612 from the Virtual Biography/Auto-Biography/Humor Bookbox Enjoy the books!

Journal Entry 7 by JudySlump612 at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, June 02, 2015
Received from JennyC1230 - thank you!

Journal Entry 8 by JudySlump612 at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, November 11, 2015
I agree with elizardbreath on this, that WAY too much time was spent on the author's sex life, etc. My hope in reading an author's biography is to learn about the factors that shaped her writing, and there didn't seem to be much of that here. Without such a justification, the prying into her various sexual situations just seems like gossip and prurient curiosity.

As far as I can tell from other reading I've done, maybe the biggest factor in du Maurier's writing was her rented home, Menabilly. It was certainly the model for Manderley in 'Rebecca,' and seems to have also played an important part in the setting of 'My Cousin Rachel.' The book does dwell on how important it was to her, and how much work and money she poured into maintenance and renovations, especially considering she never had more than a long-term lease. But it only has one picture, of the outside - I would have liked some of the inside, maybe even floor plans!

But that's just one person's opinion. Future readers, what do YOU think of this book?

Released 5 yrs ago (11/11/2015 UTC) at Precision Grind Coffee House (E. Franklin Ave & 23rd) in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

On OBCZ shelves