Silence Will Speak: A Study of the Life of Denys Finch Hatton and His Relationship With Karen Blixen

by Errol Trzebinski | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by Watchcat of -- Not a city (geographical features, etc), New Jersey USA on 5/23/2012
Journal Entry 1 by Watchcat from -- Not a city (geographical features, etc), New Jersey USA on Wednesday, May 23, 2012
After first seeing the film "Out of Africa" (which I now must have watched a dozen times; no exaggeration, =^.^= can recite the dialogue), I started compiling a small collection of books about British-colonial Kenya, this being among them. But I started reading it only recently. And I quit 3/4 of the way through. While Trzebinski show flashes of literary brilliance, I found the book far too slow-moving and half again as long as it should be. Plus, the copy editor in me was irritated by the poor punctuation; the author appears to have a fear of commas.

It is, however, most informative. I learned, for instance, that my perception was correct: 99.9% of the time, Denys Finch Hatton had a hat on. (He was almost completely bald.)