Wicked Bugs: The Louse That Conquered Napoleon's Army & Other Diabolical Insects

by Amy Stewart | Pets & Animals |
Registered by FeistyPom2Love of San Ramon, California USA on 5/19/2012
Journal Entry 1 by FeistyPom2Love from San Ramon, California USA on Saturday, May 19, 2012
Amazon Editorial Review:

"In this darkly comical look at the sinister side of our relationship with the natural world, Stewart has tracked down over one hundred of our worst entomological foes—creatures that infest, infect, and generally wreak havoc on human affairs. From the world’s most painful hornet, to the flies that transmit deadly diseases, to millipedes that stop traffic, to the “bookworms” that devour libraries, to the Japanese beetles munching on your roses, Wicked Bugs delves into the extraordinary powers of six- and eight-legged creatures.

With wit, style, and exacting research, Stewart has uncovered the most terrifying and titillating stories of bugs gone wild. It’s an A to Z of insect enemies, interspersed with sections that explore bugs with kinky sex lives (“She’s Just Not That Into You”), creatures lurking in the cupboard (“Fear No Weevil”), insects eating your tomatoes (“Gardener’s Dirty Dozen”), and phobias that feed our (sometimes) irrational responses to bugs (“Have No Fear”).

Intricate and strangely beautiful etchings and drawings by Briony Morrow-Cribbs capture diabolical bugs of all shapes and sizes in this mixture of history, science, murder, and intrigue that begins—but doesn’t end—in your own backyard."

Journal Entry 2 by FeistyPom2Love at Carpinteria, California USA on Friday, July 20, 2012
I loved reading this awesome little hardback, which is filled with beautiful illustrations!! This book is captivating, creepy and scary all at the same time. I'm not scared of snakes or spiders, just mosquitoes, ticks and other critters that transmit painful bites and/or diseases.

I'm sending this off a USA Only Bookray and the list of participants is as follows:

GoryDetails
JDT
CatladyDane
imuzak12
quickheels
HI77 <-------Book is here currently!!
tchaikovsky

Journal Entry 3 by FeistyPom2Love at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, July 20, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (7/24/2012 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

Off to GoryDetails, who is the 1st reader for part of this bookray! Happy reading.

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, August 01, 2012
Wicked Bugs arrived safely in today's mail; many thanks! I've contacted booklady331 for an address so that I can move it along as soon as I've read it. [I enjoyed Wicked Plants, by the same author, and am really looking forward to this one!]

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, August 06, 2012
I really enjoyed this book, even more than "Wicked Plants", perhaps because the wickedness of the bugs is so much more... active {wry grin}. From the moment I turned a page to find an all-too-accurate rendering of a spider through the many examples of creatures that may be considered horrible, destructive, painful, dangerous, or deadly, this was a lot of fun - even if it did sometimes make me pause to be sure there wasn't anything crawling up my back!

There are way too many delightful bits to quote here, but a few that caught my eye include:

The male crab spider, which wraps strands of its silk around the legs of a female so as to hold her down during mating, improving the odds that the male will be able to get away again without being eaten. "This form of bondage is politely referred to as a bridal veil by scientists who have observed the ritual."

The nightmarish account of torture by bug-pit, featuring bloodsucking assassin bugs - and victims who spent years in such pits, which boggles the mind.

There are bugs with literary tie-ins, such as biting midges; there's a scene in Lord of the Rings in which the hobbits find themselves in a Midgewater Marsh, with Sam wondering what they eat when they can't get hobbit. [This book doesn't cite that scene, but its descriptions of plagues of midges reminded me of it.]

Nightmare-fuel scenario: someone trying to smuggle thousands of live spiders on board an airplane, including the Brazilian wandering spider (highly poisonous); snakes on a plane would be nothing to it!

There's a section on bookworms, none of which are actual worms, but the insects that do dine on - and destroy - books are plenty scary enough.

The wonderfully poetic Schmidt Sting Pain Index (you can see the whole thing here), with descriptions like "Light, ephemeral, almost fruity. A tiny spark has singed a single hair on your arm."

Centipedes that hang from the ceilings of caves and snag passing bats.

And the "zombies" chapter, about parasites that can cause mind-boggling changes in their hosts' behavior.

And there's much, much more, with fascinating if unnerving info, and some delightfully wry remarks here and there. An extensive bibliography is there, if this book hasn't put you off insects - it includes some titles I've read, such as Bitten.

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, August 06, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (8/6/2012 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

The book's on its way to booklady331 in Florida, to continue the ray. Thanks for sharing this one!

Journal Entry 7 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, August 17, 2012
Arrived at my house and I just started it. I will PM the next person on the list so I can get it off as soon as I finish.

Journal Entry 8 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, September 03, 2012
It was a fun read. I read it as we travelled this weekend. I shared different wicked bugs with my husband as he drove. I am amazed that I there are so many bugs let alone so may "wicked" bugs. I have the address of the next person and will pass it on.

Journal Entry 9 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, September 03, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (9/4/2012 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! off to shwooz to continue the bookring. You will never look at a bug the same again. I'm not even sure I want to go outside. LOL

Journal Entry 10 by Shwooz at Menominee, Michigan USA on Monday, September 10, 2012
The book arrived today. Just PM'd the next in line so it can be on it's way when I'm finished.

Update:
The book will be on it's way Monday, October 1st. Will update then.

Journal Entry 11 by Shwooz at Menominee, Michigan USA on Thursday, October 04, 2012
The book is off to the next in line today. My son and I had fun picking a bug or two to read before bed. Interesting :)

Journal Entry 12 by Shwooz at Menominee, Michigan USA on Thursday, October 04, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (10/4/2012 UTC) at Menominee, Michigan USA

On it's way to dicentragirl today.

Journal Entry 13 by dicentragirl at Shoreline, Washington USA on Tuesday, November 20, 2012
Ack!! I've had this for awhile now. I will be mailing this along with Wicked Plants today. Passing it along without reading. I don't want to hold up the ring any longer.

Journal Entry 14 by glade1 at Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Monday, February 18, 2013
Received in the mail on Saturday. This is behind several other books I have promised to others, but I'll get it read and moving as soon as I can. Thanks!

Journal Entry 15 by glade1 at Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Monday, March 25, 2013
I enjoyed this little book and its companion. They are lighthearted and contain interesting information but are not as in-depth as some might hope. My comments for this one echo mine for Wicked Plants. Wish there were photos, it left me hungering for more information on some species, etc. But overall I enjoyed both books.

Will get them moving again as soon as I get hold of some spare cash for postage.

Journal Entry 16 by glade1 at Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (4/9/2013 UTC) at Greensboro, North Carolina USA

Mailed to judygreeneyes. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Thursday, April 18, 2013
Hello - this book is now safely in sunny San Diego. I'm just finishing the book I'm reading, so this one is up next. Thanks for sending it!

Journal Entry 18 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Wednesday, May 01, 2013
This book is a surprisingly fun and engaging read. I will admit to a lot of grimacing and having to cover the drawing on the page a few times so I could concentrate on the text. Some of the drawings were so creepy, I felt like the bugs would crawl off the page and into my lap :) I loved the scary anecdotes and truly interesting historical bits. I was fascinated with the details of how insects have been used for torture or in war as weapons. Awful. Amy Stewart has really got the knack of conveying factual information in a conversation and engaging way. Really great, glad I read it!

This book goes to quietorchid next.

Journal Entry 19 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Thursday, May 02, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (5/2/2013 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

Off by mail to quietorchid.

Journal Entry 20 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Friday, May 10, 2013
Came in the mail! I'll start this quickly, and put it back into the mail.

Journal Entry 21 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Thursday, May 16, 2013
Interesting, I enjoyed curling up with this book. Again, as with here Wicked Plants, I didn't find any new information, but it was well presented, and the illustrations where beautiful. Thanks for including me!

Journal Entry 22 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (5/16/2013 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

This is off to Florida, where the bugs are bigger!

Thanks for including me....

Journal Entry 23 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Friday, May 24, 2013
Yikes the illustrations give me creeps!!
Book is here, real fast! Will start on this as soon as I finish the other ring I'm reading now.

Journal Entry 24 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, July 04, 2013
This is such an entertaining read. Part of me wish that the illustrations aren't so real... it gives me creeps. But part of me is so intrigued by the stories that I end up goggling images of the said insect. The puss caterpillar sure looks like a teeny pussy cat (or pomeranian!) Thankfully I am warned so should I ever come across one I know to resist the urge to stroke it. Also glad of the mention of green-banded broodsac, which I learned about reading a manga GoryDetails introduced me to.

I've pm'ed JDT and should be able to send this out within a week. Thanks FeistyPom for sharing!

Journal Entry 25 by wingJDTwing at Pleasanton, California USA on Monday, July 22, 2013
Wicked Bugs arrived in today's mail!
Thanks, azuki - and everyone else before me on this intriguing bookray!

Journal Entry 26 by wingJDTwing at Pleasanton, California USA on Wednesday, July 24, 2013
I like the concept of this book - amazing info, almost-too-realistic illustrations, the author's fascination with wicked bugs [and plants] without a scientist's background.

This time the descriptors: painful, destructive, painful, horrible, deadly were almost too descriptive for my mood. And this little factoid, enlarged to a full page, did kinda gross me out: "Flea vomit is the true culprit in a plague epidemic."

That said, I've enjoyed being part of these bookrays!
Sending this book on to CatladyDane - enjoy!

Journal Entry 27 by CatladyDane at Orlando, Florida USA on Friday, July 26, 2013
Arrived in today's mail. I can't wait to read it! Bugs are such fascinating creatures. I welcome many to my yard & garden.

Journal Entry 28 by CatladyDane at Orlando, Florida USA on Monday, July 29, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (7/29/2013 UTC) at Orlando, Florida USA

Just dropped off at the post office - on its way to imuzak12 in Virginia.

Journal Entry 29 by imuzak12 at Virginia Beach, Virginia USA on Friday, August 02, 2013
I received this bug book in mail. OMG, these pictures in the book are so real, and they make me somewhat itchy. Yet, I'm looking forward to reading it:)

Journal Entry 30 by imuzak12 at Virginia Beach, Virginia USA on Thursday, September 05, 2013
It was so fun to watch and read:) It is so amazing that there are many bugs (and species) that female eats male. I read a Japanese fictional novel that was about Asian giant hornets, so I knew and watched the video of Asian giant hornets and Japanese honeybees. It was quite fascinating, so let me share them here.

This one is a Japanese version documentary, Asian giant hornets vs Japanese honeybees
And these are different documentary, English version.
Asian giant hornets vs Western honeybees http://youtu.be/IWI6_VEbsdA
Asian giant hornets vs Japanese honeybees http://youtu.be/TkIvM0dKhS8

Journal Entry 31 by imuzak12 at Virginia Beach, Virginia USA on Thursday, September 05, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (9/3/2013 UTC) at Virginia Beach, Virginia USA

Mailed it to the next reader, quickheels, in Havana, FL!
DC# 9114901159815556963576

ETA - 9.14.13
From USPS.com
DC Tracking #9114901159815556963576
Status: Delivered
Your item was delivered at 12:58 pm on September 6, 2013 in HAVANA, FL.

Journal Entry 32 by quickheels at Havana, Florida USA on Saturday, September 14, 2013
It's here and I've got a good way thru it. Very interesting

Journal Entry 33 by quickheels at Havana, Florida USA on Thursday, September 26, 2013
On it's way to tchaikovsky

Journal Entry 34 by tchaikovsky at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, October 01, 2013
I received this book today in the mail - thank you to quickheels for sending it! I will read and pass on to the next person in the bookray as soon as possible :)

Journal Entry 35 by tchaikovsky at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Thursday, October 31, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (10/31/2013 UTC) at Charleston, South Carolina USA

This book was awesome - such a great read! I'm sure that everyone else will enjoy it as well; I sent it to the next person in the book-ray today. I apologize for the delay in shipping, but I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 36 by wingHI77wing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Wednesday, November 06, 2013
When 2 legs becomes 4

than eight,
we are dining on protein.