Invitation to the Game

by Monica Hughes | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by DendriticTrees of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 5/13/2012
Journal Entry 1 by DendriticTrees from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 13, 2012
Lisse and her friends are done with school, and in a world where most jobs are done by robots have reached the end of the line, until the recieve an invitation to take part in the mysterious game.

This is a fantastic young adult novel, one of my favourite stand-alone science fiction novels, and the best part is the character dynamics.

Journal Entry 2 by DendriticTrees at Confederation Park in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, July 02, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (7/2/2012 UTC) at Confederation Park in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Released as part of the bookcrossing scavenger hunt

Journal Entry 3 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, July 02, 2012
Picked this up at our BookCrossing scavenger hunt. Looks interesting!

Journal Entry 4 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 05, 2013
I might have been one step a head of the characters in where the book was going but I certainly enjoyed the journey the characters went through. What a great book!

Journal Entry 5 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 12, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (1/12/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this to January's BookCrossing meeting. Thanks for sharing!

Are you in the Calgary area and interested in meeting up with other Calgary BookCrossers? Please check out our facebook group, "BookCrossing Calgary" for details on how. Meeting are held on the second Saturday of every month at the Joshua Tree Cafe starting at 11am. New Crossers are always welcome.

Journal Entry 6 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 13, 2013
Picked up this book at the Calgary BookCrossing January meet-up. You got to love a bizarre cover.

Journal Entry 7 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 28, 2013
This has an interesting premise and you can apply it to society even today. What do you do with the people who can't contribute to society? The solution here is crafty, if somewhat strange. The only thing that put me off from the story was how some of the characters in the group weren't that well defined. They were sort of just there to fill out the group and that doesn't make much sense when each member of the group is supposed to fill a certain role. And the ending was a little weird. I guess if you're not happy, you just suck it up.

Journal Entry 8 by locker-monster at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 09, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (2/9/2013 UTC) at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Releasing this book at the Calgary BookCrossing February meet-up. If it didn't go home with someone it's on the bookshelf.

Journal Entry 9 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, February 10, 2013
Grabbed at get together

Journal Entry 10 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, June 09, 2015
Quite an interesting concept. I enjoyed the idea of a civilization that's threatened by decent unemployed people because robots are doing everything now. The book really drew me in, and it was fun to watch it unfold. Though I'm a bit uncertain about the ending - I feel like I was waiting for something a bit more to happen but things ended more calmly than expected, or something. Also that the characters were a bit young for the ending, but maybe not.

Thanks for the fun read!

Journal Entry 11 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 13, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (6/13/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to get together

Journal Entry 12 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 13, 2015
Any book with a cover this epic (not the same as pictured above) has to be mindblowing. Right?

Picked up at the June Calgary BookCrossing Meetup.

Journal Entry 13 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 12, 2018
Interesting concept. I thought I knew where this was going, but the reveal ~60% into the book caught me surprise.

Journal Entry 14 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 12, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (5/11/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the May Calgary BookCrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 15 by reveredchicken at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 13, 2018
Picked this book up at the monthly book crossing meeting at Cravings Market Restaurant.