Champagne for One (Nero Wolfe Mysteries)

by Rex Stout | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wing6of8wing of Silver Spring, Maryland USA on 5/13/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wing6of8wing from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Sunday, May 13, 2012
Yesterday BCinDC made an excursion to The Book Thing of Baltimore to stock up on books to give away next weekend at the Gaithersburg Book Festival. This is one of the ones I brought home. I quite enjoy Nero Wolfe books, so I may have to read this before giving it away.

Released 7 yrs ago (5/19/2012 UTC) at Gaithersburg City Hall Concert Pavilion and Grounds in Gaithersburg, Maryland USA

This book, along with many others, will be distributed for free by members of the local Book Crossing group, BCinDC, at the Gaithersburg Book Festival. -- This little mystery is rather well done, with a supposedly impossible crime and an interesting twist or two.

Welcome to Book Crossing -- this book is now yours to read, retain, release, or any combination thereof which suits your fancy. Books registered with Book Crossing are tracked by those who have read them before to see where they will go and who they will meet on their journeys. People who participate in the Book Crossing community often establish friendships and trade books or comments on books and just relish a relationship with other readers across the globe.

You are welcome (and encouraged) to create a journal entry on the book, particularly when passing it on to a specific someone or releasing in the wild. You don't have to read the book to create a journal entry nor do you have to feel obligated to write only positive things. All those who have had their hands on the book before you would be excited to read any journal entry you choose to make.

You can remain anonymous or join Book Crossing, where you are known to others by the screen name of your choice and no personal information is revealed. If you join, you can receive e-mail updates about all the places this book travels to in the future. (I would love it if you listed me, 6of8, as your referring member).

Sharing books in this fashion is just another way of spreading good karma across the world. Whatever you choose to do, enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, May 20, 2012
I brought this home today from the Gaithersburg Book Festival. It was one of only about 50 books left over. I thought this looked like a likely candidate for an OBCZ release. Thanks 6of8! Nice to see you today!

Journal Entry 4 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Monday, August 20, 2012
I don't think I've ever read one of Rex Stout's mysteries before, so I decided to take this opportunity. I've heard of his luscious food descriptions, and there was a bit of this here, although most of the story centered around the aftermath of a swanky dinner party. An acquaintance of Archie's calls him at the last minute, and asks him to take his spot at a dinner party as a cavalier to be introduced to some young ladies who've previously been residents at a home for unwed mothers. The dinner party is given by the owner of the home, and is meant as a bit of a step up for the young ladies. The scandal is who is the father of the baby of the young lady who is murdered, and of course, who committed the crime (or was it, since she'd threatened to commit suicide and had a container of cyanide in her purse).

Nero Wolfe is at his logical and deductive best. This is a later story in the series; I know if I find any more of them I'd love to read them, especially the earlier ones where the characters and formulae for the mysteries are still being developed.

I enjoyed this one. Thanks for sharing, 6of8! This will be going into a small box I'm going to send out as a RABCK in a couple of months.

Journal Entry 5 by wing6of8wing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Monday, June 04, 2018
Sadly, MaryZee passed suddenly in September 2012. MaryZee's daughter is now ready to rehome her mom's books and I was willing to collect and redistribute them to keep her literary legacy alive.

Journal Entry 6 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Thursday, September 20, 2018
MaryZee was an enthusiastic evangelist for BookCrossing and is badly missed by those who knew her. I am proud to be able to have called her my friend, and am honored to be able share her books with the world.

Journal Entry 7 by wingResQgeekwing at Bright Horizons Preschool in Alexandria, Virginia USA on Thursday, September 20, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (9/20/2018 UTC) at Bright Horizons Preschool in Alexandria, Virginia USA

Left on one of the benches next to the playground, on the Jamison Ave. side of the building.

======================

DEAR FINDER,

I hope you enjoy the book!