Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress: A Novel

by DAI SIJIE | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by LittleDachshund of София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on 5/4/2012
Journal Entry 1 by LittleDachshund from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Friday, May 04, 2012
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress is an enchanting tale that captures the magic of reading and the wonder of romantic awakening. An immediate international bestseller, it tells the story of two hapless city boys exiled to a remote mountain village for re-education during China’s infamous Cultural Revolution. There the two friends meet the daughter of the local tailor and discover a hidden stash of Western classics in Chinese translation. As they flirt with the seamstress and secretly devour these banned works, the two friends find transit from their grim surroundings to worlds they never imagined.

This bookray uses the remainder of SqueakyChu's list of participants in the original bookray with her copy - http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/1416352.
Unfortunately I never received it and bought my own copy to start another bookray with the new book. SqueakyChu was kind to allow me to use all remaining participants for my bookray. The list is as follows:

LittleDachshund (Bulgaria--EU) - read
biisbsw (New York, US--US) - read
minesayn (Ohio, US--???) - read
grovalskii (Germany), intl) - read
Beitaljawzaa (Switzerland, ?) - read

I decided to make this a bookray and the book stays with Beitaljawzaa!

Journal Entry 2 by LittleDachshund at София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Monday, May 07, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (5/7/2012 UTC) at София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria

The book was posted to vassilka! I hope it travels fast. Enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by vassilka at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Thursday, May 17, 2012
The book arrived this morning! Thank you very much LittleDachshund! What a lovely bookmark you enclosed!!
I've got a pile to be reads at the moment but I'll do my best not to be late in sending it to the next person.

Journal Entry 4 by vassilka at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Monday, May 28, 2012
A lovely story which captured me from the first page! It's more than a love story or a story about the famous Chinese re-education. It's all these but most of all it's a story of how books can change a person's life, the way of thinking and his/her future...

Thank you all for making this book available to so many readers in so many countries and thank you LittleDachshund for sending it to me and help this bookring move on!

Journal Entry 5 by vassilka at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Monday, May 28, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (5/28/2012 UTC) at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece

The book is travelling to ruzena in Finland. Happy reading ruzena!

Journal Entry 6 by wingruzenawing at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, June 01, 2012
The book is here. Thank you Vassilka for the beautiful Unicef card :)

Journal Entry 7 by wingruzenawing at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, June 02, 2012
An entertaining story. It tells about the depressing times of Cultural Revolution, but it is not cheerless at all. The short introduction tells that Dai Sijie was himself "re-educated", experiencing those conditions for years. It sounds like that in the lively text. The details of the so-called education are spare but well illustrated, including the hard work in rice-fields and the keen supervision in personal life. Moral rules were strict, marriage was not allowed until 25 years of age. Books were banned; social values were those of the Chinese communism and Mao’s manifesto; preachers got to go and sweep streets. Young men then shuttle between the circumstances and the challenges of life proper, and it’s apt to bring much action and fuss and fun. But first of all, the story is another advocate for Literature.

Thank you LittleDachshund. The book is ready to travel as soon as I receive the next address.

-ruzena

EDIT. Lunatum asked to be skipped, so Stoepbrak is the next.

Journal Entry 8 by wingruzenawing at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (6/5/2012 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Little Seamstress is on the road again.

Journal Entry 9 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Tuesday, June 19, 2012
The book arrived safely in Cape Town, in an envelope with some lovely aurora borealis stamps. Thanks for shipping it to me, ruzena, and thanks to LittleDachshund for registering the book and hosting the bookray.

I should be able to get to it soon.

Commiserations to SqueakyChu, who started out the ray originally with another copy of the book. It's always sad when a well-travelled book -- well, any book -- gets lost. Let's hope it will still resurface one day.

Journal Entry 10 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Friday, June 22, 2012
A book lover's book with much to offer. While it reads almost like a fable, the story is rooted in reality. It describes a part of history I wasn't even aware of in a way that leaves little doubt as to its plausibility. I loved it.

The book will continue its journey once I have a forwarding address.

Journal Entry 11 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Monday, July 02, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (7/2/2012 UTC) at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

The book is on its way to biisbsw in the USA. I posted it this morning, opting for surface mail. Quite often a registered package like this gets lucky and is included with items dispatched by airmail. Only time will tell.

International tracking number: RJ009650533ZA

Journal Entry 12 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Friday, July 27, 2012
Finally had a chance to stop at the post office and pick this one up. Thanks for including me and sending it my way. I look forward to reading it and expect to be able to get to it soon. Thanks again!

Journal Entry 13 by wingminesaynwing at Huron, Ohio USA on Friday, September 14, 2012
Received in the mail...thanks to biisbsw for sending it to me and to LittleDachhund for starting the book ray. Will get reading it as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 14 by wingminesaynwing at Huron, Ohio USA on Thursday, October 18, 2012
Literature changes people, and this novel is a good example of this. Two young men are sent away to a rural area to be re-educated in the time of Mao. Through a friendship with another young man, also being re-educated, they get a copy of one of the novels of Balzac. This sets off a chain of events in which many other novels fall into their hands. All are forbidden in China, but does not deter these men from reading them. Introducing this literature to the "Little Seamstress" changes her, too.

Journal Entry 15 by wingminesaynwing at Berlin (irgendwo/somewhere), Berlin Germany on Thursday, October 18, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (10/18/2012 UTC) at Berlin (irgendwo/somewhere), Berlin Germany

Sent via the post to the next reader on the list. Happy travels, little seamstress!

Journal Entry 16 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, October 31, 2012
just received the book today. Thank you minesayn for mailing it to me and thank you LittleDachshund for sharing the book!

Journal Entry 17 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Thursday, November 15, 2012
quite an interesting little book. It was a quick read.

The book is now on its way to Switzerland

Journal Entry 18 by Beitaljawzaa at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, December 02, 2012
The book arrived last Wednesday, but I wasn't able to make an entry till today. Thanks for including me, looking forward to reading it next week.

Journal Entry 19 by Beitaljawzaa at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, December 09, 2012
A good read. Change never takes the direction one intends it too, not entirely.
Thanks LittleDachshund. I seem to be the last on the list, so I will be sending the little book on its way back to Sofia. Adé!