Two of Hearts (Yaoi) (Deux)

by Kano Miyamoto | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 1934496367 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 4/30/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, June 01, 2012
I got this yaoi manga from Barnes and Noble because the cover-art tempted me - gotta love a handsome guy in glasses! {grin}

Solitary writer Haruya sees handsome young lost-boy Maki on the beach and takes him in - only to find that the boy's not well, either physically or emotionally. After a trip to the hospital the boy heads home, as does Haruya, where he picks up his regular life again - only to have Maki (whose home life we've glimpsed by this point) turn up in time to see him having sex with his partner. Much anguished discussion ensues, and it's clear that Haruya's both protective of and drawn to Maki, who's desperate in his own way - and possibly manipulative, or at least that's what Haruya's partner thinks. Some interesting and troubling dynamics here, and it takes a while before we learn whether these guys are good for each other or not. I liked the writer's-inspiration bits, the beach house, the relationships - oh, yes, and the cat!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (6/27/2014 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to my Yaoi Manga shrinking bookbox, which will set out on its first leg tomorrow. (See the bookbox journal here for mailing order and contents.) Hope someone enjoys the book!

*** Released for the June Brides release challenge, for "hearts". ***

Journal Entry 3 by Keitorin at Cookeville, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, July 16, 2014
I’ve read and enjoyed this author before, so it was good to see familiar art! Gorgeous cover and character designs. I thought the cat was really cute, I love little touches like that that enrich a story.

I liked how Maki was written and how Haruya interacted with him about his issues.

The small text in Japanese wasn’t erased, so I could see that some of the translations were off to me.

This manga was really good to me until page 107, when Haruya said that his relationship with Yagisawa was ‘different’ than with Maki, even though it was obvious that Yagisawa didn’t agree and we find out that Haruya knows about Yagisawa’s feelings the whole time.

What bothered me really was that he used the excuse of the relationship being ‘different’ to cheat on Yagisawa. It really didn’t seem like they had any agreement that it was okay to kiss others, and Yagisawa’s reaction solidifies that.

Then Yagisawa had to become the ‘villain character’ to make Maki depend on Haruya even more. He raped Maki, but what happens then? Does Haruya own up to his shit right away and break off from Yagisawa? No, he stays friends with him. And even further, Maki becomes friends with his rapist.

When Haruya and Maki had sex, the only reason Maki wanted to do it was to be like Yagisawa, because Haruya told him that relationships and sex went hand in hand, and those two had sex, so…

Act 5, Maki: “Do it the real way now.”

I did not know there was a ‘real’ way to have sex. Penis-in-hole is not the be-all end-all. For some people, handjobs are sex. The idea that Maki felt like he had to go ‘all the way’ because that’s what he was told ‘real sex’ is makes me sad.

Act 5, Haruya: “Don’t be such a baby!”

Well that’s see, we have someone who’s never had anything up there (except by a rapist) and a top who’s trying to stick his dick up a hole that’s not supposed to have something up it with nothing to ease the way. I’d say Maki has all the right in the world to complain. I know Iwould be! I complain at having to do pap smears and they use lube (a lot).

This bit pre-sex below made me nearly throw my hands up in the air with the book still in it.

Maki: “…Does it ever feel good?”
Haruya: “It hurts for everyone the first time. Girls, too.”

I’d like to share this bit from Oh Joy Sex Toy (posted on Tumblr here):

"You keep these kids ignorant and then suddenly they’re in a situation that they don’t even have the words for and they have no idea what to do,” she says. “They’re not taught how to ask for consent, how to give consent, how to revoke consent and stop mid-way through. They don’t know to use protection or to demand it if it’s absent, they don’t know this will spread STIs and pregnancy. They don’t know it’s not supposed to hurt.

Can you believe that? So, so, so many people think that sex is supposed to hurt the partner with a vagina when they have sex for the first time. They think that’s just the way it is, that’s just how it goes. *That* is obscene to me. Enforced ignorance that inevitably results in physical and emotional damage, *that’s* obscenity."

Journal Entry 4 by spacedog at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, August 14, 2014
took from gorydetails' yaoi bookbox.

Journal Entry 5 by spacedog at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, September 06, 2014
aside from the non-con which keitorin mentioned, i thought the book wasn't bad overall. the initial setup was somewhat more unique in that one of the protagonists comes from a troubled home life and has developed OCD behaviors, but it doesn't go very deep into the characters and their situation and the story ends up getting resolved pretty easily. the artwork is a bit lower less refined than i typically expect from a japanese mangaka, but it's not bad. overall it was about average for me.

Journal Entry 6 by spacedog at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, September 28, 2017
added to nimoridel's manga/graphic novel bookbox (http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/14452373)

Journal Entry 7 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, December 12, 2017
This came back in my manga & graphic novel book box.

Journal Entry 8 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Sunday, December 02, 2018
I enjoy a good yaoi manga at times. I'm a bit conflicted about this one. I liked the two main characters Haruya and Maki. I liked that they were both struggling with themselves as tormented individuals. Maki with his OCD behavior and troubled home life. Haruya homebody, who is stuck in a rut and unable to finish his novel for unknown reasons. I enjoyed their relationship as it unfolded.

But I don't care for rape plot points in stories. The part of the story with a very jealous Yagisawa and Maki almost had me putting the book down. I kept reading and got very upset when later both Maki and Haruya are friends with Yagisawa. The behavior that he showed towards Maki should not have been an easily forgiven act. Yet it is treated like one.

Journal Entry 9 by wingnimrodielwing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (4/22/2019 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

adding to my manga & graphic novel book box.

Journal Entry 10 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, May 15, 2019
I'm reclaiming this one from the Manga and Graphic Novel bookbox (bookbox journal here) to release elsewhere.

Journal Entry 11 by wingGoryDetailswing at Copper Door Restaurant in Bedford, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (5/15/2019 UTC) at Copper Door Restaurant in Bedford, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the little gazebo outside the restaurant; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]