corner corner Chinglish: Found in Translation

Chinglish: Found in Translation
by Oliver Lutz Radtke | Humor
Registered by allysther of Silver Spring, Maryland USA on 4/30/2012

status (set by booklady331): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by allysther from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Monday, October 31, 2016

This book is from the library of Purple58
She was a crappy Bookcrosser
But a wonderful human being

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, October 31, 2016

This is not an ordinary book: it's a BookCrossing book! BookCrossing books are world travelers - they like to have adventures and make new friends...and every once in a while they even write home to say what they've been doing.

☻ ☻ ☻

This book was found in the library of Purple58, a very special woman whom I was fortunate enough to meet through our BookCrossing group, the Table of Contents.

Fiercely independent, with a loving heart and a wicked sense of humor, she was passionate about the things she believed in and was willing to stand up and be counted when necessary. She was truly a one of a kind individual, and she will be missed by all of her many friends...who prefer to believe that she's off in Vegas, having a fabulous time and eating as many desserts as she wants.

This book came home from purple58's wonderful send-off with me. I think Holly would have loved her final party and I'm glad I was able to be a part of it. This book will be heading out soon in honor of an exceptional woman who, somewhere, is probably disappointed that she didn't get another chance to give out Christmas gifts. ;)

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (11/7/2016 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Headed for Arizona via media mail.

Released for pinkoeria & motherof11's E-less challenge.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book!

Please take a moment to make a journal entry and let the book's previous readers know that it's safe with you.

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow the further adventures of your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

(Think of it like Where's George for books: a little like geocaching or a treasure hunt - you can follow a registered book's journey every time someone makes a new entry. Some BookCrossers even leave books *in* geocaches!)

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!

Journal Entry 4 by wingBOOKWORMINUSALLwing at Mesa, Arizona USA on Sunday, December 04, 2016

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, hyphen8, for this book that came as part of a lovely little boxful of books that were once a part of Purple58's collection, who I never personally met...may she Rest In Peace. I will be deciding which few I'd like to keep to read, and will eventually Wild Release, and share them all with others, in order to help make Purple58's wish that all her books find good homes when she is gone come true. ; )

Journal Entry 5 by wingBOOKWORMINUSALLwing at Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (12/13/2016 UTC) at Miami, Florida USA

Controlled Release for:

1. *US* Only - "READ IT, SWAP IT, LEAVE IT" Bookring Game

2. What's in a Name (DragonGoddess) http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/23/535547
HIN, LISH, LIS, FOU, RAN, LA, ION...C[hin]g[(lis)h]: [Fou]nd in T[ran]s[la]t[ion]

HAPPY READING! : )

Journal Entry 6 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Friday, December 30, 2016

This book comes at a perfect timing, because I'm behind with my 2016 reading goals and can use some quick reads!

At first I was a bit turned off by the book, because I find it a bit mean-spirited to laugh at people who are learning English as a second language. After all, I have seen a lot of erroneous and nonsensical tattoos and displays of Chinese characters. Just as Chinese and Japanese may consider it cool to just have some English words on a t shirt, the reverse can be true for American products to have some Chinese characters on it. However, the author did say in the foreword that the intention is more for humor and as a way to understand the culture behind the language, so I try to relax and enjoy it.

Anyway, after reading the book, I will now look at the lawn and see little grass trembling in fear at my big feet, I will also try to fall gracefully should I ever find myself on slippery grounds (in China a warning sign I saw for slippery floor was translated into Be Careful of Land Slide). It's actually nice that the police seems so caring for safety, and definitely comforting to know that there is a place where I can go to "free yourself from the misery of a existence."

This book will now continue its journey in the ring.

Journal Entry 7 by wingBOOKWORMINUSALLwing at Mesa, Arizona USA on Sunday, April 09, 2017

Thank you so much for participating in my first ever
Group 3 "READ IT, SWAP IT, LEAVE IT" Bookring!!!

And THANK YOU for your patience in waiting for so long for me to be able to make a Journal Entry!!! ; ) Been a rough month, explained in part here. http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/5/533419/8913767

Journal Entry 8 by wingBOOKWORMINUSALLwing at Mesa, Arizona USA on Saturday, May 26, 2018

Reserved for Round 8 of booklady331's Virtural Non Fiction Bookbox http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/518393

UPDATE: 21 September 2018

This book was not selected by any participant during Round 8 of the VBB and Round 9 will soon be starting https://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/518393 , so I'm removing it from offerings, and will be sending it to another BCer as a Surprise RABCK, after I do another quick read through. ; )

From the back of the book...

Welcome to the wonderful work of Chinglish, where humor and wisdom abound. Here you will welcome presence, be cautious to droppings, and show mercy to the slender grass, Perhaps you want to visit the fixed expectations district, or dine on choicely raw material? Wherever you go, whatever you do, always remember what your mother told you: wash after relief.

Oliver Lutz Radtke works as a television news producer in Singapore.

I find the first sentence (see below) of the Forward of sorts in this book, to be akin to the finding of one's first Bookcrossing book, and the passion of Bookcrossing that it creates. ; ) There will, without a doubt, be at least ONE thing in this book that brings a smile to your face. : D

"Some instances in life happen with such intensity that they may well be regarded as the starting point...for a wonderful friendship or a lifelong passion." ~ Oliver Lutz Radtke

From Amazon...

Chinglish offers a humorous and insightful look at misuses of the English language in Chinese street signs, products, and advertising. A long-standing favorite of English speaking tourists and visitors, Chinglish is now quickly becoming a culture relic: in preparation for the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, the Chinese government was determined to wipe out incorrect English usage.

Journal Entry 9 by wingBOOKWORMINUSALLwing at SURPRISE RABCK, Florida USA on Saturday, September 22, 2018

Released 4 wks ago (9/22/2018 UTC) at SURPRISE RABCK, Florida USA

TO THE FINDER OF THIS BOOK:

HELLO...WELCOME to BOOKCROSSING...and CONGRATULATIONS!

You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BOOKCROSSING http://www.bookcrossing.com/about. Maybe you'll even decide to make a journal entry on this book, possibly listing me...BOOKWORMINUSALL...as the one who referred you. We want to make the whole world a library! You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (it's free!). Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend, or even set it free "in the wild" for someone else to find as you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels - you'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your email address), it's fun, it's free, and it's spam-free...all thanks to our dedicated totally AWESOME BOOKCROSSING MANAGEMENT http://www.bookcrossing.com/management, and SUPPORT TEAMS!!!

HAPPY READING!

Journal Entry 10 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Thank you for sharing the book with me. It arrived safely. Thank you, also, for all the BC goodies. I always love receiving them. I love surprises.