And Be a Villain

by Rex Stout | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by allysther of Silver Spring, Maryland USA on 4/30/2012
Journal Entry 1 by allysther from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Monday, October 31, 2016
This book is from the library of Purple58
She was a crappy Bookcrosser
But a wonderful human being

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, October 31, 2016
This is not an ordinary book: it's a BookCrossing book! BookCrossing books are world travelers - they like to have adventures and make new friends...and every once in a while they even write home to say what they've been doing.

Other copies on my BookCrossing shelf: 5303558 13283101

☻ ☻ ☻

This book was found in the library of Purple58, a very special woman whom I was fortunate enough to meet through our BookCrossing group, the Table of Contents.

Fiercely independent, with a loving heart and a wicked sense of humor, she was passionate about the things she believed in and was willing to stand up and be counted when necessary. She was truly a one of a kind individual, and she will be missed by all of her many friends...who prefer to believe that she's off in Vegas, having a fabulous time and eating as many desserts as she wants.

This book came home from purple58's wonderful send-off with me. I think Holly would have loved her final party and I'm glad I was able to be a part of it. This book will be heading out soon in honor of an exceptional woman who, somewhere, is probably disappointed that she didn't get another chance to give out Christmas gifts. ;)

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (11/7/2016 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Headed for Arizona via media mail.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book!

Please take a moment to make a journal entry and let the book's previous readers know that it's safe with you.

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow the further adventures of your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

(Think of it like Where's George for books: a little like geocaching or a treasure hunt - you can follow a registered book's journey every time someone makes a new entry. Some BookCrossers even leave books *in* geocaches!)

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!

Journal Entry 4 by wingBOOKWORMINUSALLwing at Mesa, Arizona USA on Sunday, December 04, 2016
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, hyphen8, for this book that came as part of a lovely little boxful of books that were once a part of Purple58's collection, who I never personally met...may she Rest In Peace. I will be deciding which few I'd like to keep to read, and will eventually Wild Release, and share them all with others, in order to help make Purple58's wish that all her books find good homes when she is gone come true. ; )

Journal Entry 5 by wingBOOKWORMINUSALLwing at Danville, Virginia USA on Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (12/13/2016 UTC) at Danville, Virginia USA

Controlled Release for:

1. *US* Only - "READ IT, SWAP IT, LEAVE IT" Bookring Game

2. What's in a Name (DragonGoddess) http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/23/535547
VIL, LAIN, LA, NERO, WOLF, MYSTE, VEL...And Be a [Vil][(la]in) (A [Nero] [Wolf]e [Myste]ry No[vel])

HAPPY READING! : )

Journal Entry 6 by wingSouthernfryedwing at Lexington, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, February 01, 2017
This is my choice to read in the "Read it, Swap it, Leave it" bookring. Started it earlier today.

2/3/2017
I had heard of the great detective, Nero Wolfe but I had never read any of the books before this one. This book has a copyright date of 1948. I am sure that for it's time, it was very clever. My problem with the book is that a good many words have different meanings today than they did at that time or are terms that we never hear today. Still an interesting read and I didn't figure out "who dunnit" before Mr. Wolfe told me. I probably would never seek out another of Stout's books but if one came my way, I'd give him another try.

Journal Entry 7 by wingSouthernfryedwing at Lexington, South Carolina USA on Monday, February 06, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (2/7/2017 UTC) at Lexington, South Carolina USA

on it's way to the next participant

Journal Entry 8 by wingjlautnerwing at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Sunday, February 12, 2017
Arrived as one of three books in the "Read it, Swap it, Leave it" bookring game. I read this a long time ago so I know I will enjoy reading it again.

Journal Entry 9 by wingjlautnerwing at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Wednesday, February 15, 2017
Years ago, when I was a teen, I read Rex Stout. And Agatha Christie. And Ngaio Marsh. And many others my mother read before me. I know that I read this one before because I'm pretty sure I have read them all. But it has been so long.

So I enjoyed this dip into the past. Wolfe is his usual brilliant self, and Archie his usual ladies' man self. And Fritz is his usual cooking self, although we don't actually hear him say anything, as I recall. Because this was written in 1948 there are differences in the culture. I didn't find them as jarring as I expected. I find Archie's leering at women to be seriously annoying but I know he had a lot of company. And of course I can't get excited about the cooking of baby animals of any species, and there is too much of that here.

The case. A radio host calls on Wolfe to investigate the death by cyanide of a guest on her show - while on the air. She is joined by the show's producers and sponsors and others, all of whom just want this to go away and are finding that the police are not making progress. Wolfe gets stymied too, at first, but eventually finds a crack, then another, and he finds his way inside. While Archie runs around town doing various errands and even leaves town to retrieve one young witness.

It's comforting, in a way, to have things stay in place. Wolfe continues to visit his orchids twice (or is it three times?) a day. He continues to eat fancy foods and drink well. Archie continues to egg him on just to see if he can get his goat. Nice, in a way, to have everything in order. So I found it relaxing to read.

Journal Entry 10 by wingjlautnerwing at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (2/15/2017 UTC) at San Luis Obispo, California USA

Sent off to Bookworminusall as part of the Read it, Swap it, Leave it bookring game.

Journal Entry 11 by wingBOOKWORMINUSALLwing at Mesa, Arizona USA on Sunday, April 09, 2017
Thank you so much for participating in my first ever
Group 2 "READ IT, SWAP IT, LEAVE IT" Bookring!!!

And THANK YOU for your patience in waiting for so long for me to be able to make a Journal Entry!!! ; ) Been a rough month, explained in part here. http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/5/533419/8913767