The Hinge Factor: How Chance and Stupidity Have Changed History

by Erik Durschmied | History |
Registered by Triggerfish of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 4/30/2012
Journal Entry 1 by Triggerfish from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, April 30, 2012
Donated to BXing by my partner.

Journal Entry 2 by Triggerfish at Biblos, Chambers Street in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, April 30, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (4/30/2012 UTC) at Biblos, Chambers Street in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

To be released at mini meet with Australian visitors.

Journal Entry 3 by iron_bun at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 05, 2012
Caught at the May meetup

Finally got around to reading it. It's very interesting and puts meaning behind some of the songs I knew when I was young, like "The grand old duke of York."

It has a grim finish, but then it is about war.

Journal Entry 4 by teapot at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, September 03, 2018
I've actually had this for ages but I just realised I never journaled it!

Journal Entry 5 by teapot at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, December 28, 2018
Hmmm. Not sure what to make of this. The premise was really interesting, but the author never delivered on the implication that one single detail caused a wildly different outcome in most of the chapters.

How does a new, superior weapon qualify for the subtitle "how change and stupidity have changed history"? Yes, with bad weather or an indecicive general I see it, but a lot of the time the author kind of wrote himself into a corner when he admitted for example that Napoleon would have lost another day if he had been victorious at Waterloo (page 98).

Another issue is of course the usual adage that history is written by the victors. So in the chapter The Sorge Enigma, as the footnote on page 308 points out: "Stalin’s critics have not detailed any military errors, but Hitler’s generals have." That just goes to show that Stalin may have made just as many errors in judgement as Hitler, it's just that they are not as well-documented, so we don't truly know what factors really sealed the outcome of the battles in Russia.

There were some other issues, for example the translations of the foreign text were often inaccurate, there were any spelling errors, and the many footnotes were distracting and could easily have been incorporated into the text.

Journal Entry 6 by teapot at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, February 09, 2019

Released 5 days ago (2/10/2019 UTC) at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Will bring to the meetup at Filmhouse Cafe.

Journal Entry 7 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, February 11, 2019
Picked up at the meetup yesterday, thank you