The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter, and Tears at the World's Most Famous Cooking School

by Kathleen Flinn | Cooking, Food & Wine |
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 4/30/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Monday, April 30, 2012
I picked up this withdrawn library hb recently at the library's used book sale. I love foodie memoirs and am looking forward to reading this.

From Amazon.com -
A delightful true story of food, Paris, and the fulfillment of a lifelong dream
In 2003, Kathleen Flinn, a thirty-six-year-old American living and working in London, returned from vacation to find that her corporate job had been eliminated. Ignoring her mother’s advice that she get another job immediately or “never get hired anywhere ever again,” Flinn instead cleared out her savings and moved to Paris to pursue a dream — a diploma from the famed Le Cordon Bleu cooking school. The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry is the touching and remarkably funny account of Flinn’s transformation as she moves through the school’s intense program and falls deeply in love along the way. Flinn interweaves more than two dozen recipes with a unique look inside Le Cordon Bleu amid battles with demanding chefs, competitive classmates, and her “wretchedly inadequate” French. Flinn offers a vibrant portrait of Paris, one in which the sights and sounds of the city’s street markets and purveyors come alive in rich detail. The ultimate wish fulfillment book, her story is a true testament to pursuing a dream. Fans of Julie & Julia, Almost French, and Eat, Pray, Love will be amused, inspired, and richly rewarded by this seductive tale of romance, Paris, and French food.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, August 18, 2012
Wonderful foodie memoir. The author shares her decision to live in Paris and study at Le Cordon Bleu. She shares stories about her classes, her fellow students, chefs, and new friends. She tells stories about living in Paris. We also hear of her love for and marriage to a former friend, Mike. She also shares quite a few recipes, from the simple Crepe with Nutella and Bananas to the more difficult Duck with Orange Sauce and Figs. Although the recipes are reminiscent of the Le Cordon Bleu recipes, they're not identical, and thankfully somewhat easier.

I've learned two important things in this book: never try to stuff an overabundance of brioche dough into a too-small apartment fridge; and if you try to cram a trussing needle up the backside of a lobster, and he gets loose he will wreak his revenge. ;)

This book is reserved for a promised RABCK. Hope the next reader enjoys it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Friday, June 08, 2018
Sadly, MaryZee passed suddenly in September 2012. MaryZee's daughter is now ready to rehome her mom's books and I was willing to collect and redistribute them to keep her literary legacy alive.

I read this book and enjoyed it a few years ago. I think I know someone else who would really enjoy it.

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Monday, June 25, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (6/25/2018 UTC) at Silver Spring, Maryland USA

This book was shared with a food-loving friend over a delicious lunch.