The Butterfly Tattoo

by Philip Pullman | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingAzukiwing of Miami, Florida USA on 4/29/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Sunday, April 29, 2012
I love The Golden Compass, and so was excited to find this at Miami's library book sale. This is Pullman's first novel.

At the 20th hour of Dewey's Read-a-thon, I need something short and easy, and this looks good. I thought this is a children's book, but after reading it I won't classify it as such, with the murder and a love making scene several pages long.

The first line grips me: "Chris Marshall met the girl he was going to kill on a warm night in early June." It was love at first sight, but the fate kept pulling them apart. So how did he end up killing her? How could he possibly? Without spoiling the plot, I will just say that it's a compelling read, as the plot tightens and you feel like a witness to a car wreck happening...

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, June 20, 2013
I received this yesterday from Azuki when I saw her in person for dinner! So nice to see you again :)

Thanks for this book, I believe it was from a VBB.

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Chris meets Jenny while he's working a party, after she runs away from some guys because they found out she crashed the party. It's love at first sight for Chris and Jenny agrees to meet him again. The two get closer, though Chris loses touch when Jenny's home is raided for drugs and she can't return. At the same time, Chris' boss is having Chris help him fix up a remote cabin. The reason he gives is that there's a bad guy looking for him after he helped put his brother behind bars. Chris isn't sure if it's true but helps him out anyways.

This is a pretty short book and it felt like things just weren't explained enough throughout the novel. There was romance and there was a mafia type story, but they didn't work well together at all for me, which I think was in part due to the fact that the book was so short and there wasn't enough time to make the two themes work with each other. Having read His Dark Materials, I don't feel like this lived up at all to how good that trilogy was. I was pretty disappointed with this one.

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren at PATH (Toronto's downtown walkway) in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 03, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (9/2/2015 UTC) at PATH (Toronto's downtown walkway) in Toronto, Ontario Canada

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience.