Hobbit, The (Unwin Books)

by J. R. R. Tolkien | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BodhiBabe of Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on 4/22/2012
Journal Entry 1 by BodhiBabe from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 22, 2012
Greetings, lucky finder of this book! Treat it nicely, enjoy reading it & let everyone know what you thought of it here; you can be anonymous if you like or you might want to join Bookcrossing. Then, pass it on when the time is right.

Can't be objective about this one, I loved it from the moment I read it at the age of 10. Hobbits, dwarves, trolls, elves, goblins, wargs, giant eagles, giant spiders, as well as a creepy little character with a magic ring & a taste for raw flesh - all built up into a story that starts as a bedtime tale but seems to grow up as it goes along until suddenly you're facing epic battles, glimpsing a bigger story & encountering that father of calamities, Smaug the Golden, possibly the best dragon in children's literature. Next stop Middlearth, tales of the Vikings & beyond...

That copy resided on the bookshelf under the windowsill in my school classroom but it wasn't long before I saved up my pocket money & bought my own. It was a 1973 imprint, the second that year & in all respects identical to this battered '72 print that I rescued from a charity shop. Seems we couldn't get enough of the reluctant adventurer Bilbo the hobbit & the fascinating, villainous dragon Smaug back then, & what better example of the species Draco Draconis could there be to release on Saint George's Day?

Released 6 yrs ago (4/23/2012 UTC) at Milton Keynes Library in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom

On the BC shelf in the Lending Library in time for St George's day.

Journal Entry 3 by wingMKlibrarieswing at Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 23, 2012
Join your local library and use your card to keep it active.
It is FREE and opens the doors to books, music and film, IT and our services from your home.
We value your membership: keep using us!

Click here
for Milton Keynes Libraries webpage.