Blood Law: A Novel

by Jeannie Holmes | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 055359267X Global Overview for this book
Registered by loriped of Keizer, Oregon USA on 4/22/2012
Journal Entry 1 by loriped from Keizer, Oregon USA on Sunday, April 22, 2012
To stop a vampire killer, she’ll have to slay her own demons first.

A provocative and savvy vampire, Alexandra Sabian moves to the sleepy hamlet of Jefferson, Mississippi—population 6,000, half vampires—to escape the demons lurking in her past. As an enforcer for the Federal Bureau of Preternatural Investigations (FBPI), Alex must maintain the uneasy peace between her kind and humans, including Jefferson’s bigoted sheriff, who’d be happy to see all vampires banished from town. Then really dead vamps start turning up—beheaded, crucified, and defanged, the same gruesome manner in which Alex’s father was murdered decades ago. For Alex, the professional has become way too personal.

Things get even more complicated when the FBPI sends in some unnervingly sexy backup: Alex’s onetime mentor, lover, and fiancé, Varik Baudelaire. Still stinging from the betrayal that ended their short-lived engagement, Alex is determined not to give in to the temptation that soon threatens to short-circuit her investigation. But as the vamp body count grows and the public panic level rises, Varik may be Alex’s only hope to stop a relentless killer who’s got his own score to settle and his own bloody past to put right.

Journal Entry 2 by loriped at Keizer, Oregon USA on Wednesday, June 22, 2016
One of Mom's Vampire books ready to travel in the Vampire Book Box.

Journal Entry 3 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Sunday, July 03, 2016
This book rode to the end of the line in the Vampire Bookbox.

Journal Entry 4 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, September 01, 2017
I went into this book casually, assuming it would be one of the generic paranormal romances that I find plenty of. I was actually impressed to find a compelling paranormal mystery and a interesting romance. There are plenty of areas that still lack originality (mostly character traits), but the well-layered plot and tight writing helped carry me over those stumbling spots. The large assortment of characters played off each other well, and there were some plot twists that had me scrambling to re-write my guesses about who was involved in which crimes. Varik, the love-interest, is quite unoriginal, but I enjoyed the way that Holmes wrote the couple carrying a torch despite a very messy breakup.

Journal Entry 5 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, March 09, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (3/9/2018 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

One of the starting volumes in the Otherworldly (Shrinking) Bookbox

Journal Entry 6 by loriped at Keizer, Oregon USA on Thursday, March 29, 2018
I see this book is making the rounds in another Emmejo's bookbox. Hope someone else selects it so that it doesn't end back with her.

Journal Entry 7 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, May 03, 2018
I'm claiming this from the Otherworldly bookbox.

Later: The southern setting and political subplots (the Human Separatist Movement among them!), plus the feisty vampire heroine with her peril-magnet brother and her troubled love-life, all beg comparison to the Sookie Stackhouse books - but I think Holmes has managed her own tone and style. I wasn't that keen on the political infighting - too much like real-life news! - but the rest of the story was entertaining.

Journal Entry 8 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, July 16, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (7/16/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to the Vampire bookbox, which will be on its way soon. Enjoy!

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***