Talking Heads

by Alan Bennett | Plays & Scripts |
ISBN: 0563206225 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Jonniboi of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 4/17/2012
Journal Entry 1 by Jonniboi from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Had to read this book for my English A-Level, but we only read "Her Big Chance" and that was all.

The Blurb:
"Six monologues written for television, each in its own way reflecting Alan Bennett's marvellously observant view of the British way of life. Winner of the 1989 Hawthornden Prize, they are now modern-day classics. They are touching and real, and very funny.

A Chip In The Sugar - with Alan Bennett as Graham
Bed Among The Lentils - with Maggie Smith as Susan
A Lady Of Letters - with Patricia Routledge as Irene Ruddock
Her Big Chance - with Julie Walters as Lesley
Soldiering On - with Stephanie Cole as Muriel
A Cream Cracker Under The Settee - with Thora Hird as Doris"

Journal Entry 2 by Jonniboi at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, May 28, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (5/28/2012 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Sent this book off, it's now in the post!

Finally on it's way! Sent out as an RABCK, I hope you enjoy it :)

Journal Entry 3 by veleta at Ourense, Ourense Spain on Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Sorry for my lateness in writing this journal. In fact, I got it last week, and what is more, I've just started reading it. [I've just read the first monolougue, and I liked it].

Thank you so much for sending this book all the way to Spain. It looks like a dense book, but the form helps to make it interesting and fluid.

Journal Entry 4 by veleta at Ourense, Ourense Spain on Tuesday, July 3, 2012
6 really interesting monologues. My favourite ones were A Chip in the Sugar, Bed Among the Lentils and Her Big Chance, although they all are interesting in their own way. Nowadays, there are not many distinctively midlle-aged or elder characters who become protagonists in their own rights; However, in this monologue collection they all somehow shine in their own way. How boring, insipid, useless life may be! From the actress who talks as if she were portraying Lady Macbeth but becomes a beach bimbo in a third-rate film to the closeted gay; from the nutty lady who writes anonymous letters to the wife of a parish shepherd who becomes addicted to drink and sex.

Journal Entry 5 by veleta at Pub Dickens in Ourense, Ourense Spain on Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (7/10/2012 UTC) at Pub Dickens in Ourense, Ourense Spain

Released this Tuesday.

Journal Entry 6 by nerdanel6 at Burgos, Burgos Spain on Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Passed on by Veleta, thanks!!

Journal Entry 7 by nerdanel6 at Burgos, Burgos Spain on Sunday, October 14, 2012

These are for watching or listening to, in my opinion. They lose a bit of shine being read from the page. I sometimes got lost in the dialogues. Each story is perfect and wittily observed. No surprise endings just immensely satisfying ones.

The stories are sometimes impressive, occasionally sad, but the way that Bennett manages to convey this with humour is absolutely brilliant.

Journal Entry 8 by nerdanel6 at Escuela Oficial de Idiomas in Burgos, Burgos Spain on Monday, April 22, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (4/25/2013 UTC) at Escuela Oficial de Idiomas in Burgos, Burgos Spain

Liberación del Día del libro 2013