The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 1)

by Lemony Snicket | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by rhombitruncated of Bowie, Maryland USA on 10/30/2003
Journal Entry 1 by rhombitruncated from Bowie, Maryland USA on Thursday, October 30, 2003
While playing at the beach one gray day, the Baudelaire children, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny, get the bad news that their house has burned down and their parents died. This is not a good beginning for a story. Unfortunately things don't get much better as the book continues. You see, the Baudelaire's were very rich, so the orphans will inherit quite a fortune when they come of age. The first relative they are placed with, Count Olaf, has only this fortune in mind when he agrees to take the children in.

While the book does not start out or end happily, I found that I was drawn to the Baudelaire children, and I want to hope that eventually something good will happen for them. I look forward to see what happens in the next book.

I'll admit that I got tired of the endless explanations of some of the words, but I can understand that most of the readers of these books are much, much younger than me, and probably need the extra help. I learned to just skim over those parts by the end of the book.

Journal Entry 2 by akuchling from Bowie, Maryland USA on Friday, October 31, 2003
This is the first book in a series that's currently reached book 8. Written for young readers, it's an Edward Gorey-style story of cruelty. The three Baudelaire children are orphaned at the beginning of the story and sent to live with a distant relative, the disreputable Count Olaf. Count Olaf immediately begins scheming to get their inheritance for himself, and the rest of the book is concerned with the working out and ultimate failure of the plot. (In each of the following books, the Baudelaires go to live with a different relative, Count Olaf always shows up with a new plan, and things end messily.) The book is somewhat amusing, but not enough to make me want to read any more of the series.

Released on Friday, October 31, 2003 at Cyrandall Valley in Vienna, Virginia USA.

Left it out for trick-or-treaters as part of SSM7.