corner corner The Night Buffalo: A Novel

The Night Buffalo: A Novel
by Guillermo Arriaga | Arts & Photography
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 4/16/2012

status (set by SqueakyChu): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, April 16, 2012

I selected this book from The Book Thing of Baltimore, an organization whose mission is to put unwanted books into the hands of those who want them.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Wednesday, November 25, 2015

I'm reading this book for the November 2015 TIOLI challenge on LibraryThing to read a book that was first published at the end of a war (Lebanon War, 2006)

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, November 28, 2015

Arriaga writes a very intriguing story of Manuel, a shiftless Mexican college student who was sleeping with three women, still living with his parents, and always I need of cash. The story opens with Manuel coming to visit Gregorio, his best friend. We see that their relationship is strained, and soon learn that Gregorio has committed suicide. Later, we realize that a love triangle existed between Gregorio and Manuel and that their mutual love was Tania, a woman for whom Manuel permanently rented a hotel room for their secret trysts. Gregorio wasn't quite as available as Manuel since he had episodic psychiatric hospitalization. So whom did Tania really love?

I was intrigued by this story. I wanted to know what really drove Gregorio into madness and despair. I liked the Mexico City setting (I once also ate at Sanborn's!) , the abbreviated chapter sections, the ease of the writing, the story's flow, and its underlying suspense. I was less enthralled by the story's ending. I don't like when new characters are introduced at the bitter end, nor do I like loose ends that seem to want another story written to explain them.

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, October 10, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (10/13/2016 UTC) at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA

I'm releasing this book for the following BookCrossing challenge:

*** The 2016 Tick Tock Release Challenge hosted by DragonGoddess. This book has the word NIGHT in the title.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 5 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, January 30, 2017

Caught!

Thank you for returning this book to the Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720). I'll be saving it to go out for Round #2.

Journal Entry 6 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (1/9/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA

Going out for Round #2...

--------------------------------

I'm releasing this book for...

***The 2018 Clean Start Release Challenge hosted by BOOKWORMINUSALL for zbird. The book's title contains the word ALO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 7 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Journal Entry 8 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Little Free Library #37285 at Living Faith Lutheran Church in Rockville, Maryland USA on Friday, March 09, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (3/8/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library #37285 at Living Faith Lutheran Church in Rockville, Maryland USA

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!