More Ketchup Than Salsa: Confessions of a Tenerife Barman

by Joe Cawley | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by Shrewsbury of Biel / Bienne, Bern / Berne Switzerland on 4/14/2012
Journal Entry 1 by Shrewsbury from Biel / Bienne, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Saturday, April 14, 2012
Have not read.

Journal Entry 2 by Shrewsbury at Bahnhof Bern in Bern, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Monday, April 16, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (4/16/2012 UTC) at Bahnhof Bern in Bern, Bern / Berne Switzerland

Im Schliessfach Nr. 302 im Bahnhof Bern.

Journal Entry 3 by storm0103 at Aeugst am Albis, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, April 25, 2012
It looks like a funny book.
I will definitely read this book as soon as I have some holiday.
Thanks for sharing your books with all of us.

Journal Entry 4 by storm0103 at Aeugst am Albis, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, May 15, 2012
I have finished this book over the week-end and I had a good laugh.
Interesting descriptions of the English people going on holiday :-) After reading that, I definitely don't feel like going to Tenerifa. However, I am sure that it's a beautiful island.

Bookray:

11. Penelopewanders - CH
12. Carmendoran
13. Merrymari - UK/US/ CAN
14. Agrace - US - US shipping
15. Quickheels - US - US shipping <= the book is here :-)
16. hrance27 - US - US shipping - no answer
18. Alexiapapa - Greece - EU shipping - no answer
19. tenscentpistol - France

20. Collin26 - Philippines - asked to be at the end

Link to the forum BOOKRING, BOOKRAY, BOOKBOXES

Released 7 yrs ago (5/21/2012 UTC) at La Chapelle sur Erdre, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Let's this book travel !

Journal Entry 6 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, May 25, 2012
I'm looking forward to reading it although I have so other many sensible things to do. :)

Journal Entry 7 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Saturday, June 16, 2012
I read it just before travelling and had no time to journal it. It was an interesting story. I have friends of friends who had a similar experience in the same place with disturbing consequences concerning their couple... I now completely understand.

PMing Bootielootie.

Journal Entry 8 by wingIcilawing at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (6/19/2012 UTC) at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to the next reader.

Journal Entry 9 by bootielootie at Barnstaple, Devon United Kingdom on Saturday, June 23, 2012
Received this morning in the post from Icila (thank you). This is the first time I've taken part in a bookray! Really looking forward to reading this book, have read two pages, almost as soon as it arrived, but will be starting it properly tonight.

PM-ing Eponine38 for an address for when I've finished.

Journal Entry 10 by bootielootie at Barnstaple, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, September 24, 2012
It took me a while to read this book I kept picking it up reading a bit then leaving it for a while, which is quite unusual for me, considering I was very keen to get going on it. However I persevered to the end and I am glad I did. It made me chuckle in places and was an interesting insight into life and the trials and tribulations of running a bar in Tenerife.

Journal Entry 11 by bootielootie at Barnstaple, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, September 24, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (9/25/2012 UTC) at Barnstaple, Devon United Kingdom

On it's way to Eponine38
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, October 31, 2012
Received today. Thanks for sending overseas, Bootielootie! Will start reading within the next few days, after I finish my current read.

Journal Entry 13 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, November 15, 2012
I enjoyed this and laughed many, many times, to the consternation of my cat :-). It takes guts to pick up and move (even to a favorite place) and more than a little work to run a restaurant - Joe and Joy were there for several weeks before they even had a chance to go to the beach for a couple hours. That really struck me - the price to pay for living in "paradise".

I must admit that like you, storm0103, I've crossed Tenerife off my list of places to visit!

It was nice that the book ended at Christmas; guess I read it at the right time!

I was about to say, "I wish he'd write a sequel", when I took a look at his website and...he's working on one! And you can help:

Thanks for sharing this as a ray, storm0103!

Journal Entry 14 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, November 15, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (11/15/2012 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Off in today's mail to imuzak12. Hope you like it!

Journal Entry 15 by imuzak12 at Corpus Christi, Texas USA on Wednesday, November 21, 2012
I received the book in mail today. Thank you, eponine38, for mailing the book to me. I am looking forward to reading it :)

Update:
I am still reading this book between work and house chores. It's been hard to find reading time in my daily schedule, but I try finish reading and mailing it to the next person before Christmas.

Journal Entry 16 by imuzak12 at Corpus Christi, Texas USA on Saturday, December 29, 2012
I am sorry for taking a bit longer time. My schedule has been a little tighter than I anticipated with extra-working-hours and having-a-cold.

It was a quite entertaining book. I did not know where Tenerife is until I looked on the Internet. It is the largest island of Canary Island, which belongs to Spain, but its location is closer to Morocco than to Spain. Before I started reading the book, I expected to read the similar wackiness of people in Key West, where I had lived for a few years. I soon found I was wrong. British are much more shy than American, and other Europeans are also different from Americans. So, it was more like the scenery of the Big Island of Hawaii, where I visited once, plus unique Europeans & Tenerife locals.

Problems of running a bar are somewhat close to what I imagined from my experience in Key West. I wish I could make my husband, who occasionally talks about owning a bar, read this book(, but unfortunately he doesn't read much...). If you can vomit in toilet, that tells your toilet is very much cleaner than... some others' I've seen. I enjoyed reading the experience of Joy and Joe as bar's new owners in the new land. I especially admired the patience of these two people. Because they loved people, they had overcome obstacles with helps from Tenerife's locals. I don't need to have a bite at the Smuggelrs, but it would be nice to have a drink there and watch Buster :)

Sadly, MaryZee is no longer with us, and I already have the address of Azuki. I'm going to mail the book to her tomorrow, before going to work :)

Journal Entry 17 by imuzak12 at -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Saturday, December 29, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (12/29/2012 UTC) at -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Mailing to the next person by Media Mail.
Delivery Confirmation# is 0312 2120 0001 1909 7150.

Journal Entry 18 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, January 10, 2013
Hi book is here a few days, just that I try to do my BC journals every few days... to leave me some time for reading... so I didn't journal it immediately.
It saddens me to see that MaryZee was supposed to read this before me. I hope she finds her own copy in the big library up there!

Journal Entry 19 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Quite an enjoyable tale of two young couples who moved to a new place and starting a new life, owning a bar with minimal experience... the idea of it freaks me out! I most certainly wouldn't have done that. It's nice to see how they make it through, and towards the end, reading how the regulars gang up to take care of a trouble-making customer is certainly gratifying.

I am not sure why it seems like the girls are the ones who can't handle the stress though. Maybe his brother doesn't want to air his dirty laundry, but it makes me curious, what was he feeling? Did he think about quitting? Did the guys fight? After all, it seems like he paid a really high price to do this in the end, and I don't even know if he's enjoying it.

I am still waiting for Rodespringbal's address. Will pm her again.

Journal Entry 20 by wingrodespringbalwing at Moerbeke-Waas, Oost-Vlaanderen / Flandre Orientale Belgium on Tuesday, February 12, 2013
arrived today...

Journal Entry 21 by wingrodespringbalwing at Moerbeke-Waas, Oost-Vlaanderen / Flandre Orientale Belgium on Sunday, March 10, 2013
A feel good book actually, what is better than sticking up for what your dream is...

Hopefully Lunatum will feel the same :-) as soon as I have the address, it will be on it's way

Edit on 13th March: Lunatum asked to be skipped. Will try Soozreader

Journal Entry 22 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Monday, March 18, 2013
Thank you very much for this book that arrived safely today:) I look forward to start reading it soon!

Journal Entry 23 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Monday, March 25, 2013
Oh, I love these books! I don't know why because they are usually quite similar...they are just so lovely and I never get bored with them:) I've been to Tenerife (though I'm more familiar with Gran Canaria as besides holidays I've lived there for a year) so there were things and aspects I recognized (mostly good things)...though while in Spain I prefer eating Spanish food...:) I don't understand people who travel to another country and don't realize that they themselves are the foreigners with the differing habits, not the locals...

I've got jo_an_a's address and will try to get this to the post asap! :)

Journal Entry 24 by wingSoozreaderwing at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (3/26/2013 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Thank you for the opportunity to read this book! The book is now on its way to the next reader! Happy Reading! :)

Journal Entry 25 by jo_an_a at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, April 02, 2013
Arrived today, thank you very much for sharing this book!

Journal Entry 26 by jo_an_a at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, April 06, 2013
This was a quick read but once again I think I have overdone this genre. Having just had read the fast moving Last Seen in Bangkok, this book seemed a bit slow and boring to me. Gonna put all Brits Abroad -books aside for a while!

I have emailed the next reader for address.

Journal Entry 27 by jo_an_a at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, April 29, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (4/29/2013 UTC) at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Posted to the next reader today.

Journal Entry 28 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, May 17, 2013
This has rolled in to an unexpected bookring and ray meet-up at my house... seems somehow they all decided to come at once! I'll try to get to this within a reasonable frame of time, but have several to read and life and work sometimes interfere in my reading time!
Thanks so much for making this available and for sending. We spend a lot of time in Mallorca, so I am very curious about this one - I expect a lot of the experience could easily transposed to the Balearic Islands.

Journal Entry 29 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Monday, June 10, 2013
As we have a family connection to Mallorca and spend a lot of time there, I was curious about this book - granted las Palmas is far from Palma, (and we're 70 km from Palma) but there are lots of expats in Mallorca too, and as we see retirement on the horizon, whether we'll move there full time in a few years is a question bound to pop up.
Reading this has confirmed by conviction that it would probably not be a good idea!
On the whole I found this an interesting read - hadn't given much thought to the mafia aspect of things, although of course that's bound to be an issue I suppose... seems Joy and Joe got off pretty lightly, all things considered. At the outset I found the book a bit irritating in the false cheer sense - it seemed every page was packed with wannabe funny sequences, rather like some of the entertainment hired by the Smugglers... gradually the fake smiles seemed to fade away and be replaced by more regular narration - funny at times, not so at others.
I'm PMing for the next address - sorry it's stayed here in the Alps so long.

Journal Entry 30 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (6/18/2013 UTC) at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland

Oh dear - very high time this took to the road again! I apologize profusely for having kept this in the Alps for so very long - somehow it landed on the back burner and then I ended up forgetting I hadn't already sent it out!
Now it's headed from the slopes of the Swiss Alps to lowlands of Scotland. Again thank you for making this book available, and thank you for sending.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 31 by carmendoran at Dundee, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, July 12, 2013
Looking forward to reading this one!

Journal Entry 32 by carmendoran at Dundee, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, August 10, 2013
Really enjoyed this book, many laughs and grimaces at the trials and tribulations of the team. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 33 by carmendoran at Dundee, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, August 10, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (8/10/2013 UTC) at Dundee, Scotland United Kingdom

Enroute to merrymari in the USA - enjoy!

Journal Entry 34 by merrymari at Traverse City, Michigan USA on Saturday, August 17, 2013
Thank you to Shrewsbury for releasing the book, storm0103 for hosting the ray, and carmendoran for sending it to the U.S.A.! This book has arrived safely, I look forward to reading it and I will msg Agrace for her address when I am finished with it or asap so that I don't forget!

update: 9/12/13- I realized I forgot to put my thoughts on the book, so here goes; I tried to get into this book, but there's just too much going on right now. As in too much working, lol. I have a vacay coming up, but if I took a book on vacation I'm likely to leave it somewhere so...didn't want to do that. I read the first few chapters/sections, but it didn't grab me. It happens. The previous notes in this thread seem to vary from people who have a good or positive experience to others who are meh, like me. C'est la vie. Keep reading!

Journal Entry 35 by Agrace at Frisco, Texas USA on Wednesday, September 11, 2013
More Ketchup Than Salsa arrived today!

Journal Entry 36 by Agrace at Frisco, Texas USA on Sunday, September 22, 2013
Retiring to run a restaurant/bar always sounds like fun when you don't understand the amount of work involved! Not as funny as I had hoped for, but a good summer-time book.

Journal Entry 37 by quickheels at Havana, Florida USA on Saturday, October 05, 2013
arrived today

Journal Entry 38 by quickheels at Havana, Florida USA on Monday, October 14, 2013
Fun, light read. Thank you to everyone involved in this opportunity. The back of the book is coming apart do I'm going to apply a bit of glue and tape in the hopes it will help to continue it's journey. Contacting next reader and will mail in the next few days.