Death at Whitechapel (Robin Paige Victorian Mysteries, No. 6)

by Robin Paige | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wing6of8wing of Silver Spring, Maryland USA on 4/9/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wing6of8wing from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Monday, April 09, 2012
Had to buy a book for the book club at work, which naturally started a mini-spree when I got on Better World Books. This is one of the ones I picked up because it is part of a series I have either already enjoyed or been interested in reading.

Journal Entry 2 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Tuesday, August 25, 2015
I quite enjoy this series and these characters and the opportunity to learn a little about historical figures at the same time. This book involves the question as to whether Lord Randolph Churchill (father of Winston) was at all connected to the Jack the Ripper scandal. It makes an interesting case (although I find Patricia Cornwell's book implicating Walter Sickert -- who is also a character here -- more compelling). I am a little leery, though, of the use, once again, of Freemasons as the mysterious moving force of evil behind events. I don't know any Freemasons, myself, but I think they quite often get a bad rap just because they consider certain things secret or sacred within their order. The mystery here was well-done otherwise, and the character of Jennie Churchill was certainly a fascinating one. The secondary story of Mrs. Pratt also was interesting, particularly as it played into the same themes of the larger story.

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Sunday, January 31, 2016
Adding this to the Mystery/Thriller VBB started by bookstogive.

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA on Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (7/18/2016 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA

This book is on its way to the Emerald City for booksandmusic, who selected it from the VBB.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Thursday, July 21, 2016
Thank you very much for sending this book my way. I am looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 6 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, December 05, 2017
Historical fiction around Jennie Churchhill, her deceased husband Randolph, her son Winston, and the Jack the Ripper murders.
Jennie is being blackmailed with a picture of her late husband Randolph talking to Ripper murder victim Mary Kelley. She is paying up because she doesn't want anything to impede her son's future political career. But when she ends up in the house of a dead man she decides she needs help and goes to her friends Lord and Lady Charles and Kate Sheridan; they've been known to help solve mysteries before.
I loved the quotes at the heads of the chapters such as:

When murderers shut deeds close, this curse does seal them: If none discloses them , they themselves reveal them! Cyril Tourneur The Revenger's Tragedy 1607

Oh, how many torments lie in the small circle of a wedding ring! Colley Cibber The Double Gallant 1702

The efforts we make to escape from our destiny only serve to lead us into it Ralph Waldo Emerson Fate

Journal Entry 7 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, December 22, 2017
This book is reserved for the P author bookring.

Journal Entry 8 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (12/26/2017 UTC) at Seattle, Washington USA

Sent off in the P author's bookring

Journal Entry 9 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, January 18, 2018
Stopping briefly at my house in its travels for the "P" author

Journal Entry 10 by wingjmsmomwing at Newalla, Oklahoma USA on Saturday, February 03, 2018
Taken from the P authors bookring.