Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power

by Rachel Maddow | Nonfiction |
Registered by imuzak12 of Virginia Beach, Virginia USA on 4/7/2012
Journal Entry 1 by imuzak12 from Virginia Beach, Virginia USA on Saturday, April 07, 2012
I like Rachel Maddow Show, but that is not the reason I picked up this book. The other night, she was talking about nuclear weapons in her show as a part of introducing her book (I think). I am from Hiroshima, so the nuclear arms are the one of the topics I am very into. I really liked how she presented the past, present, and future of nuclear arms. So, her comments on nuclear weapons during her show sold me this book. I know this book has much more than that, which is better and worth reading:) I am very much looking forward to reading this one.

*The link to the video clip I mentioned above (from The Rachel Maddow Show on 3/25/12) is http://video.msnbc.msn.com/the-rachel-maddow-show/46863289#46863289. There is a choice for reading transcript, so I hope it will work for the residence of the outside of the US.

Registered@Corpus Christi, Texas, USA.

I am planning to offer this book for Int'l bookring. The thread is here.

Journal Entry 2 by imuzak12 at Corpus Christi, Texas USA on Saturday, April 28, 2012
It was really a good reading! Chapter 1 to 6 were very interesting. Rachel Maddow presented historical events and the US Presidents' actions in these parts. Many of those facts were not quite familiar to me, so I enjoy reading them. Then it changed. Chapter 7 to 9 were disturbing and upsetting. Coincidentally, I just watched the movie "The Whistleblower" very recently, so my shock from knowing sex-trafficking in Bosnia was still fresh. As I read how things happened--it was quite disturbingly a perfect setting--, those facts nauseated me. The worst part is that those American contractors (and some from other organizations) remained unpunished under diplomatic immunity, and the contractor has changed the name and still doing the same work. The very upsetting part for me was chapter 9 about nuclear weapons. I really hope Americans see it as a big serious problem that needs very serious attention and reconsideration of owning them.

If you are interested in knowing about sex-trafficking scandal in Bosnia, I would recommend to watch the movie "The Whistleblower". I am planning to read the same title book written by Kathryn Bolkovac, the real heroine.

*The longer version of my review and quotes are on Goodreads

Journal Entry 3 by imuzak12 at Corpus Christi, Texas USA on Saturday, April 28, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (4/28/2012 UTC) at Corpus Christi, Texas USA

I am hosting Int'l bookring for this book. As of April 28, there are participants only from the US, but I would be happy to welcome participants from other countries as well.
Forum thread link ... http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/475391

Bookring order:
JudySlump612 (US) -Int'l mailing
JDT (US) -US mailing
Erishkigal (US) -US mailing
---------------------------------------------
chocola905 (Japan) -Int'l mailing

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Friday, May 04, 2012
Arrived here safely, the first stop on its bookring journey.

Journal Entry 5 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Friday, May 25, 2012
Because I don't watch the Rachel Maddow Show, I didn't know quite what to expect. What I found was very smooth, slightly funny writing, on a very timely topic.

I do wish she'd used some footnotes. Part of her ironic style is to impute thoughts or opinions to public leaders, which we really can't know. She does give sources at the back, and I'm not really quarreling with her statements. But I was getting an uneasy feeling that I was becoming a liberal 'dittohead,' believing someone's assertions just because I liked the person making them, or because they fit into my pre-existing opinions. Or maybe I'm just too used to reading histories and flipping to the back to check the source. My favorite quote from the book she takes from Anthony Lewis: "If a President on his own can take us into a war in the gulf, Goerge III will be entitled to smile - wherever he is,"

Journal Entry 6 by wingJudySlump612wing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, May 25, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (5/25/2012 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Media mail to JDT

Journal Entry 7 by wingJDTwing at Pleasanton, California USA on Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Drift arrived safely today - quick trip from MN to CA!

I've been looking forward to reading this one and really admire Rachel Maddow's intelligence, insights, and humor on important issues.

Thanks, JudySlump612 - and many thanks, imuzak12 - for sharing this book (& your journal thoughts) on a bookring!

Journal Entry 8 by wingJDTwing at Pleasanton, California USA on Sunday, June 03, 2012
wow - this book did not disappoint! It was well-written; Rachel's interesting, witty,informative, both breezy & intense style made for quite a compelling read!

Her information and perspective are beyond partisan - extremely important for all of us to consider - even when it's disturbing.
(my one negative - once or twice I found her use of slang/humor to be unnecessary/lending a momentary snarky edge for such important thinking and information. That said I did love her dedication!)

I found the deterioration of our nuclear weapons/safety, as well as our recent history of turning over more and more war activity to private contractors, with fewer and fewer or our citizens affected, even invconvenienced by war, to be particularly troubling.

If nothing else, I wish everyone would seriously consider Rachel Maddow's To-Do List of guidelines (p249-252)

Sending this book on to Erishkigal - with thanks again for the chance to read and think about this important book.

Journal Entry 9 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, September 19, 2012
First, I apologize for having this book forever, and even worse not getting it journalled. I was sure I had acknowledged it’s arrival after pming with a from the library this summer....but now that I’m back to send it on, I see that I didn’t. Or I lost it. I wrote a long journal last week for another book, then when I went to submit hit a wrong button, and it was gone.:( Scary. And I haven’t had time to go and redo it. At the same time, I have ghost books on my shelf~~same book, same bcid, showing up two or three times. But there is just no excuse for being this tardy/this bad a bookcrosser. I am so sorry!!!

I thank you for sharing this excellent book with me. I learned history I didn’t know, and am reminded of much I did (once upon a time). It’s one of several that should be required reading before November.

And as for the "To do list," my opinion would be to start with winding down and abolishing the military's dependence on private contractors for what used to be military functions. Not that this is the most important, just the one ( I perceive as) most do-able.

Journal Entry 10 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (9/26/2012 UTC) at Salt Lake City, Utah USA

All packed up and in my car, ready to stop at the PO and get this on the way back to imuzak12. Thanks again!

Journal Entry 11 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (9/26/2012 UTC) at Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Journal Entry 12 by imuzak12 at Corpus Christi, Texas USA on Monday, October 22, 2012
Thank you, Erishkigal, for mailing the book back to me with a beautiful postcard & a bookmark of Hovenweep National Momument. This book is going to take a break now, and I'll see if I can find some more participants later.