The Sandman: Fables and Reflections (Sandman library)

Registered by LilyKlip of Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on 4/6/2012
Journal Entry 1 by LilyKlip from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Friday, April 06, 2012
A collection of stories about people who were somehow "touched" by the Sandman. In places I was reminded of Grimm's Folk Tales - but, of course, the stories here are not for children. Meet the first and only King of the USA, a bodiless head which will be of importance in later stories (also in this volume), walk through the streets of Rome with a "beggar" and listen to Orpheus' song.

As before: Please keep the books for a maximum of three weeks.

participants (order will slightly change for each book in the series):

KiwiinEngland and Nell-Lu have left the Spiral. KiwiinEngland moved to NZ and is therefore not in Europe anymore and Nell-Lu, although she enjoyed the stories so far, asked to be removed from the list.

1. Xirxe (Germany)
2. SerendipityN (Germany)
3. Tsjara (Netherlands) Please post to No. 5 MKTiny. Thank you!
(4. Esme-Weatherwax (Ireland) only Season of Mists (Book 4), World's End (Book 8) and Endless Nights (Book 11))
5. MKtiny (UK)
6. Vekiki (UK)
7. Lunacia (Norway)
8. Appelsiini (Finland)
9. vedranaster (Croatia)

and back to me

Link to Volume 7: Brief Lives

This Spiral is listed in the BookRing Directory

Journal Entry 2 by Xirxe at Hannover, Niedersachsen Germany on Monday, June 11, 2012
I've just been told, that Sandman has arrived safely in Hannover. But he has to wait until the weekend - before I don't get round to start reading.
Thx so many times to LilyKlip for this great Spiral!!!

02/07/2012
The sixth Sandman and until now my personal favourite!
It's not a continous story but rather 8 1/2 strips, including the short 'foreword-history'. More than the half of it base upon true historical incidents and life stories like Emperor Augustus, the French Revolution, Marco Polo etc. The others are predicated on old legends or myths, so throughout the whole readingtime I had the feeling, these are not just phantastic stories but they could have really happen like this. And in every event Sandman plays an important part.
Last but not least the pictures are again impressive as always. For every story there is a certain style (Ramadan - very coloured, like a fairy tale; Soft Places - almost paltry, blank spaces like you expect it in a desert etc.), which accords perfectly with the contents of the different tales.
Fantastic stories, amazing drawings - a great book!

Journal Entry 3 by Xirxe at per Post, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (7/6/2012 UTC) at per Post, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

The Sandman is now on his way to SerendipityN. Enjoy this wonderful book!

Journal Entry 4 by SerendipityN at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, July 12, 2012
It arrived today. :-)

Great choice of tea, Xirxe, just what I needed today.

Thank you!

Journal Entry 5 by SerendipityN at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (8/7/2012 UTC) at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

I liked this volume a lot, it's a nice collection of stories covering a variety of themes.

It's off to Tsjara now. Enjoy!

I also came across "Death" in a bookstore and, of course, had to buy that.

Thank you again for this wonderful RingSpiral!!! :D

Journal Entry 6 by Tsjara at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, August 11, 2012
Arrived here safely. Thanks for sending SerendipityN!
I quite like the cover of this one.
Thanks again for organizing the spiral LilyKlip. :)

Journal Entry 7 by Tsjara at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, September 05, 2012
Loved this one! This volume has all different kinds of stories set in different times of history, with the Sandman somehow playing a role.
I really enjoyed all the stories, but the ones I liked most were "Three Septembers and a January" about Emperor Norton (of the USA), "The Song of Orpheus", and "Ramadan" (fairy tale like with gorgeous drawings and colours). Oh and "The Parliament of Rooks" too (the drawings of Dream, Death, Cain and Abel were just so cute - in the story told by Abel).
And I was pleasantly surprised to see Fiddler's Green again (in the story about Marco Polo), though I only realized that it was him at the end.
This may be my (new) favorite volume. :)

Journal Entry 8 by Tsjara at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (9/5/2012 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

On its way to MKtiny now.
Happy reading!

track and trace code: 3SRZ016085600

Journal Entry 9 by MKtiny at Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 13, 2012
Arrived today with some lovely chocolate - thanks Tsjara :). It looks a bit meatier than the previous books and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in :)

The imagination of Neil Gaiman never ceases to amaze me. This is one of the best so far. The Orpheus stories are my favourite, even if they are quite gruesome.

Journal Entry 10 by Vekiki at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, October 01, 2012
It's hear with me in London town. I'll get to it asap, looking forward to this instalment

Journal Entry 11 by Vekiki at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, October 14, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (10/14/2012 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

thanks for sharing - on it's way to the next reader now

Journal Entry 12 by winglunaciawing at Sandnes, Rogaland fylke Norway on Monday, October 22, 2012
It is with me! Arrived today. Envelope was broken, but seems to be OK.

EDIT 13 Nov 2012
I have an exam 1 December, but I promise to start reading this when I'm done with the exam... I wanted to start earlier, but the perfume allergies are still bugging me...

Journal Entry 13 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Thursday, December 20, 2012
The book will stay with Lunacia until after the holidays so it doesn't get lost in the postal craziness.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Journal Entry 14 by winglunaciawing at Sandnes, Rogaland fylke Norway on Tuesday, January 01, 2013
This has been a very enjoyable read. I hope to post it off this week (today's a public holliday in Norway), so that it can be on its way again shortly.

Journal Entry 15 by winglunaciawing at Sandnes, Rogaland fylke Norway on Thursday, January 03, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (1/3/2013 UTC) at Sandnes, Rogaland fylke Norway

Mailed off to Appelsiini. :-)

Journal Entry 16 by wingAppelsiiniwing at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, January 10, 2013
Received this today, thanks for sending! I have another book to finish before I can start this, so please be patient!

Journal Entry 17 by wingAppelsiiniwing at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, January 26, 2013
Just finished the book. Some stories I found little weird (yes, Gaiman stories can get weird! *lol*) but I really liked "The Hunt" and "Ramadan".

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 18 by wingAppelsiiniwing at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (2/6/2013 UTC) at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Finally there is a post office by my route! :) The book is travelling to Croatia, have a safe journey!

Journal Entry 19 by vedranaster at Zagreb, Zagreb City Croatia on Friday, February 15, 2013

Arrived safe and sound this morning! :)

Thanks for sharing, LilyKlip, and everyone for reading and sending the book on! :D
Sandman arrived at just the right time; I've just finished reading Zafón's The Angels Game and am now unwinding my brain with a teen horror novel. Sandman will fit in nicely after that. :)

Journal Entry 20 by vedranaster at Zagreb, Zagreb City Croatia on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Wow. This one took a lot out of me, mentally. The stories were connected to those from the previous instalments so it took a bit to put the pieces together, but not only that, they referenced mythology a LOT, and I am NOT up to speed on my mythology. ;) Because of that, I felt like a was missing a lot and it was much harder reading the stories with my brain nagging me to go read the story of Orpheus and Eurydice, and me grumbling back that I just *don't* have the time to do that right now. *grin*

I enjoyed it nonetheless, though I think I might have to revisit this whole set one fine day when I'm retired, with lots of free time on my hands.

Thank you all for reading and sending on, and thanks LilyKlip for sharing and for patiently waiting for the book to return home.

Journal Entry 21 by vedranaster at Zagreb, Zagreb City Croatia on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (4/13/2013 UTC) at Zagreb, Zagreb City Croatia

Returning home, to LilyKlip. :)

Journal Entry 22 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Saturday, April 20, 2013
It is back home. Thank you!