A Clockwork Orange

by Anthony Burgess | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by jendudley of Edinburg, Texas USA on 10/27/2003
Journal Entry 1 by jendudley from Edinburg, Texas USA on Monday, October 27, 2003
haven't read

Journal Entry 2 by kirst040 from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, April 14, 2005
Received in the mail yesterday. Thanks jendudley. I'd forgotten about this so it was a nice surprise. TBR.

Journal Entry 3 by kirst040 from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, June 14, 2005
Wow, what an intriguing read. As I started this I wasn't sure if I would even get to the end. I found Burgess' use of language difficult to follow and the violence had quite an impact but soon I was enthralled and found it hard to put down.

I think this is a very important novel with its musings on human nature, criminality, reform and society and the written language that eventually seems add to the message. The detail of what's being said becomes less crucial than the thought behind it. Towards the end I even felt myself feel sympathetic towards Alex, usually very difficult when the character is so flawed.

I haven't seen Kubrick's film but will keep an eye out for it now.

My boyfriend is going to read this next, then I will pass it on to
another bookcrosser, dolphin-au, who also has it on his wishlist.

Thanks again jendudley.

Journal Entry 4 by dolphin-au from Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, July 10, 2005
Thanks kirst040 for sending this to me. This has been on my wishlist for some time! I have seen the Kubrick film a number of times, so am looking forward to now finally reading the book that inspired this masterpiece.

Journal Entry 5 by dolphin-au from Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, December 01, 2005
This book was just as good as I hoped it would be. The movie has been a very true adaptation of this book, something you don't find very often. To start with I found the language somewhat hard to follow, but I got used to it quickly.
It is a fascinating look into the human psyche (although a somewhat twisted one). I can't say I got to like little Alex much though!
A great read. Thanks Kirst040 for sharing this with me.

Journal Entry 7 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, April 28, 2007
I have been meaning to read (and see this film) for some time, but then cringe, and think that it's so violent, and I have so many other books to read as it is... and then this copy arrived on my doorstep in the Aussie Bookbag #3.

Now, I have great faith in Kirst040 and her taste in books, so to my tbr with this book.

Thank you for sharing this book with me.

Journal Entry 8 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, May 17, 2007
As much as I would love to start reading this book (like many others), life seems to be getting in the way of me tackling my tbr pile. So, having borrowed the idea from shnedwards, I am sending this book out as a bookring for one of the '1001 books to read before you die' titles.

Participants:
- brunton11 (Englaund)
- RustyReader2 (Canada)
- VeganMedusa (New Zealand)
- KLL (Australia)
- Luckaye (Australia)
- Jubby (Australia - back home to me)

Journal Entry 9 by jubby at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (5/23/2007 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

This bookring has begun its journey. Posted off to brunton11.

Journal Entry 10 by wingbrunton11wing from Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 30, 2007
I'm looking forward to reading this book. Thanks jubby!

Journal Entry 11 by wingbrunton11wing from Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 29, 2007
I agree with dolphin-au completely on this one. Initially difficult to get into but once I got going and understood the language used it was an interesting read.

I'll pop it in the post to rustyreader2 tomorrow. Thanks jubby for the chance to cross this book off my list!

Journal Entry 12 by RustyReader2 from Nepean, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, July 31, 2007
Arived safely. Looking forward to reading it!

My apologies for not having finished this book yet, but my family was camping this summer and I forgot to bring my books with me and now we are renovating and the book was put into a box...I have found it though and will get it going this week.

I am so sorry all...I am trying to get through this book, but having a really hard time, so I will be getting in touch with the next in line and as soon as I have their address I will be sending the book off...I will journal later after I have read it (library book)

Journal Entry 13 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, July 12, 2008
What's happened to this bookring?

Well, it appears that Rustyreader2 has fallen into black hole, and taken every single bookring that was in her possession with her.

Sadly, I had not read this book before mailing it out... I've learnt a few lessons from this experience.
Happy reading Rustyreader2.

Journal Entry 14 by RustyReader2 from Nepean, Ontario Canada on Saturday, July 12, 2008
I have sent this book out and any ring/ray that I have that are stalled unfortunately not in my posession. I have sent a lot of books onto NepeanBCLibrary and they have not journalled any of them....I've already been in touch with a few people (bookcrossers) and we are trying to rectify this situation. So before you go accusing me of hoarding books, you may want to check with me first. Thank you.

Journal Entry 15 by lostbookisland on Friday, August 29, 2008
This book has washed ashore at the Lost Book Island after not being heard from for many months. This new arrival will be shown to a room and be allowed a bit of rest before being introduced to the many fun things to do here at the island.

All around there are books sipping cool drinks under shady palms while other books participate in a wide variety of beach sports. There is plenty of sand, surf and sun here for all of the lost and wayward books to enjoy.

It is hoped that very soon a new journal entry will come to rescue this book from the island and send it back out into the BookCrossing world so that it may continue on its journey. It is hoped that the new journal entry will tell all the interested parties where this book has been this long time and where it will be traveling to next.