The Rise of Endymion

by Dan Simmons | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by Matt of Sandpoint, Idaho USA on 10/21/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Matt from Sandpoint, Idaho USA on Tuesday, October 21, 2003
When I finished Hyperion, I wondered if the other novels had the clearity and original story lines as the first in the series. I loved it but held off from reading the other three because I thought that they were written because the first three were popular and so he decided to continue, I was wrong.

This was the best series, sci fi or not, that I have ever read. It is a enormous story that asks and somehow answers enormous questions. The characters are well developed and the themes of the book are so incredible that I felt changed for having read them.

It is a story of tolerance, obligation, courage, empathy, love, committment, passion, hope ,sacrifice, loyalty, spirituality, philosophy, emotion, promise, faith, trust and so much more. The last book contains one of the best love stories I have ever read, and I can't say enough about Simmons intellectual and emotional writing.

If you have time and patience, pick these books up and read them, consume them, enjoy them. Then prepare to ask yourself some very meaningful questions about life the the meaning of it all.

Journal Entry 2 by Matt at Sandpoint, Idaho USA on Monday, August 18, 2014
At the second reading I knew what was going to happen, but it didn't make it any less moving. A truly great story.