Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

by fannie flagg | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by siriradha of Colorado Springs, Colorado USA on 10/20/2003
Journal Entry 1 by siriradha from Colorado Springs, Colorado USA on Monday, October 20, 2003
Paperback

Journal Entry 2 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, November 01, 2003
Got this today. As agreed, I'll read this first (cannot wait!) and then send it out as a bookray. Thanks, siriradha. :)

Journal Entry 3 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Monday, October 17, 2005
I can't remember if, originally, I read the novel first or saw the film, but I know that I thoroughly enjoyed both in their own right. This story loses nothing in the rereading: it's funny, sad, and engaging, filled with memorable characters. I had a great time revisiting them.

Journal Entry 4 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Monday, October 17, 2005
INTERNATIONAL BOOKRAY!

I'd like to keep this open-ended for as long as possible, but if you find yourself the last person on the list after you've read it, please find an appropriate thing to do with the book. (You can start another ray or a ring, share it with someone you know or another BCer, or just give it a good home. Please just be sure to make a journal entry stating what you're doing.) Thanks!

Don't forget to share your thoughts on the book! And please journal when you receive it. Happy reading.

Mailing order:
Sobergirl (Finland)
keksi2 (Germany)
Fig1178 (CA)
4everLostInBook (CA)
OneTwoRedBlue (CA)- being skipped, no response
shpriz1 (NY)
Mamikaem (MO)
TanyaReed (Canada)
Ibis3 (Canada)
darkpunkangel (Canada)
GateGypsy (Canada)
wubbaducky (UK) (prefers UK/European mailing) - book is here. Note: had contact July 2008 and was assured book would be moving again soon. UPDATE 11/08: Please see last journal entry. I'm declaring this ray dead but have added everyone's names to another ray for this title. Thank you.
Cross-patch (UK)
arturogrande (UK)
Tanamo (UK)
GiraffePrincess (UK)
Dei (Singapore)
BettyBoekwurm (Portugal) (prefers Europe)
Bookworm-lady (Spain) (prefers Europe)
lapin-blanc (France)
MieLH (Denmark) (prefers Europe)
Potat1556 (Switzerland)
iliotropio (Belgium)
sunnybrook301 (VA) (prefers US)

Journal Entry 5 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Friday, October 21, 2005
Mailed off to gussy916 in India today. I hope it reaches you safely! Enjoy the book.

Journal Entry 6 by gussy916 from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Saturday, October 29, 2005
Hey! Just received this in the mail! My first Book ring. Im so happy can hardly wait to get started. Lucky I have a long weekend to look forward to, its Diwali in India.
Thanks Guinneth!!
Will PM the next person for their address as soon as I'm done.

Journal Entry 7 by gussy916 from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Sunday, October 30, 2005
I read the book in a day flat out..could'nt put it down. Something about the narrative and the way the relatonships unfold in this book is so touching, that it makes you want to simply fall right into its pages. Loved every bit of it!
PMing Drusillamac whos next on the list for the address....

Released 14 yrs ago (11/4/2005 UTC) at To the next participant in Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Mailed out today to Drussilamac in Scotland.
Hope the book reaches you safely. And hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Journal Entry 9 by Drusillamac from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, November 11, 2005
Caught this in the post this morning. Thanks for the lovely postcard :-)

Journal Entry 10 by Drusillamac from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, November 27, 2005
I loved this book so much. I couldn't believe it comes in around 400 pages, I felt like I just flew through it. I've seen the film so I was wondering how faithful it was to the book. Both can stand on their own but the book provides more background information to the characters.

The book easily flits back from the 1980s to the 1930s then onto the 1950s. You never get confused as each chapter is headed with the date and if it's coming from a newspaper source.

A throughly charming read!

Journal Entry 11 by Drusillamac from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 30, 2005
Sent to dark-draco in the post today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by wingdark-dracowing from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Friday, December 02, 2005
Received a couple of days ago. Apologies for not journalling straight away. Have started reading and am already hooked.

Journal Entry 13 by wingdark-dracowing from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 05, 2005
It's been a long time since I've seen the film, which I love, but this was no bad thing. I could make up my own images as I read.

I thoroughly enjoyed the read and finished it in record time. It's so well written and the short chapters just speed you through the whole story. It could have been so easy to get confused as it skipped back and forth in time, yet only once did I have to check the date of the bit I was reading, and only because I was trying to watch the news at the same time!

Has anyone tried the recipes in the back? I've copied a few down and determined to try the Fried Green Tomatoes. Well, you just have to.

Thanks so much for releasing this book.

I'll send it on ASAP.

Released 14 yrs ago (12/23/2005 UTC) at posted to a fellow bookcrosser in Royal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 15 by al3xa from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, December 29, 2005
Hello,

Well I loved the film! and the book... Ive got to page 40 and decided I'm not particularly captivated by it... though I'm not entirely sure why as I enjoyed the film so much... maybee its simply beause I can not dedicate the time at the moment... so ive passed it on to my flat mate Lottiotta who I understand is next on the list.

Thank you for letting me take part... oh I did love the inventiveness of the recipe section and will try to make Fried Green Tomatoes one day :)

bright blessings

alexa

Journal Entry 16 by Lottiotta from Aberdovey, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, January 07, 2006
Well thank you Al3xa! :) This is a silly story. She wasn't getting into it, so she told me to read the first 10 pages to see if I could get into it. Well I quite liked it, so I thought I'd carry on! I'm sorry for causing fuss by trying to be skipped, it was clearly a losing battle...

I'm already a third of the way through, so this should be quick! Thanks everyone for letting me be awkward. :)

Journal Entry 17 by Lottiotta from Aberdovey, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, January 08, 2006
Generally this isn't my favourite kind of book, but I loved to read about all the characters like they were old friends. I love trains, too - even when they're horribly late... :D I saw the film already and really enjoyed it, and in a way I'm glad it was different to the book because it meant I could enjoy the parts that I didn't already know.

This book reminded me a little bit of "Holes" by Louis Sachar, because all the characters were linked to all the others somehow and you meet the families through lots of generations. The coincidences are great, too! Although not as profound as the ones in Holes.

Also, Idgie rules. :)

Journal Entry 18 by Lottiotta from Aberdovey, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, January 09, 2006
On to longfordmaine very shortly! Hopefully today.

Journal Entry 19 by rem_VPX-482879 on Friday, January 13, 2006
Received in the post from Lottiotta. I will tackle this one after my current read.

UPDATE 05/02/06
I finished this a few days ago but I was in Wales at the time with no access to a computer.

I've really enjoyed reading this book even though it jumps around in time a lot. I generally don't like that style although both this book and "The Time Traveller's Wife" are notable exceptions to my general rule.

I was sad to finish this as I was enjoying listening to Mrs Threadgoode's chats.

I'll move this on as soon as I have the next address.

Journal Entry 20 by rem_VPX-482879 on Thursday, February 23, 2006
After some delay in getting a response from those after me in the list, the book is today in the post to platypussj.

Journal Entry 21 by platypussj from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, April 15, 2006
I want to live in Whistlestop in 1924!!! Why do we have to progess so fast? This book is funny, charming, poignant. It had me giggling and shedding real tears, I am so glad to have read it.

Journal Entry 22 by platypussj from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, June 05, 2006
Posted to Kemppu over the weekend.

Journal Entry 23 by Kemppu from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, June 15, 2006
Got the book today. I asked to send this in my parent's address because I was in the middle of moving right when the book was going to be sent to me. So, the book made a little trip to the town of Ikaalinen from where my Mom sent it to me here in the city of Helsinki. It arrived safe and sound - and in perfect time for me to take it with me tomorrow, since I'm going to have to sit in a train for several hours this weekend. Thanks, platypussj and Guinneth!

I've also seen the film based on this book, but it was long ago. I only remember some basic things and the fact that I loved the film. I'm really looking forward to reading this book!

Journal Entry 24 by Kemppu from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, June 19, 2006
Lovely book, I'm so glad I got it with me into my weekend trip to Oulu and back by train (which goes nicely together with the book's train theme.)

I really liked both the interesting and touching story and the memorable characters in it. The book is so full of life, good things, bad things, sad things and happy things alike. Both the story of Evelyn who finds the joy of life with the help of discussions with Mrs. Threadgoode and the stories of the Whistle Stop Cafe, Idgie, Ruth and others. Yes, there are actually many stories, told as memories and newspaper/letter clips. I didn't even mind the time shifts, maybe because I read the book so fast.

The only minus in the book are some of the thoughts (mainly racist and sexist) that disturb me even though I know they're there because of the time and place of the book. Also, some bits were a bit too religious to my taste. However, the good thoughts overrule the disturbing ones for sure!

Has anyone read the story from queer and/or women studies point of view? I think Idgie and Ruth's relationship was particularly interesting here, as well as the character of Eva Bates. I especially liked the fact that none of these women were described as bad, abnormal, disgusting or anything like that. Not that I thought that they were like that - I loved them. I just think that in a different kind of book they might have been seen like that.

I'd like to try out some of Sipsey's recipes, but unfortunately most of them contain milk and/or meat which I don't eat. Also some of the incredients are almost impossible to get in Finland and all the measurements in the recipes are in cups and the degrees - I think - in Fahrenheits which I don't understand (I'm also too lazy to convert them...) The fried green tomatoes I might try, however, if I can find green tomatoes. Otherwise, I can still get some cooking inspiration from the recipes.

So, I loved the book and the overall atmosphere of the story. Seems that I'm not the only one. I think I'll buy myself my own copy of the book if and when I find one.

The book goes to Sobergirl next.

Journal Entry 25 by Kemppu from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, June 21, 2006
Posted to Sobergirl today.

Journal Entry 26 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, June 26, 2006
Thanks Kemppu! The bookring is now in Turku.

Journal Entry 27 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Thursday, July 06, 2006
I remember seeing the movie years ago (I think I even had the video, don't know where it's disappeared though), and loved it.
I loved the book too.
Now the book will travel to Germany!

Journal Entry 28 by keksi2 from Ann Arbor, Michigan USA on Wednesday, July 19, 2006
Caught in the mail today - thanks a lot sobergirl for the candy that came with it!
This is the only ring/ray here at the moment, so it´s next on my TBR.

Journal Entry 29 by keksi2 from Ann Arbor, Michigan USA on Wednesday, July 26, 2006
What a nice book! At first I thought it started a bit slow, and it took awhile for the plot to develop. But then all the lose threads came together in a beautiful story. The only little criticism I have is that the characters were a bit of a cliché: the southern beauty, the tomboy, the frustrated middle-aged housewife,...I would have enjoyed the book even more if the characters had been a bit more individual. But otherwise, this was a very very good read - thanks a lot guinneth for sharing :-)

Off to Fig1178.

Journal Entry 30 by Fig1178 from Walnut Creek, California USA on Thursday, August 10, 2006
Received this book yesterday and will start reading it very soon!

Journal Entry 31 by Fig1178 from Walnut Creek, California USA on Tuesday, September 05, 2006
I really enjoyed this book - thanks for letting me be a part of this Book Ring. I would definitely read other books by this author.

Am emailing 4EverLostInBook for their address, then will ship it off!

Journal Entry 32 by 4everLostInBook from Riverside, California USA on Tuesday, September 26, 2006
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe arrived in the mail. Thank you so much! I'll get to it soon and then pass it on to the next person on the list.

10/14/2006 - What a great book! I really enjoyed spending time at the Whistle Stop Cafe and with all of the wonderful characters Fannie Flagg created. I have sent a message to OneTwoRedBlue who is up next on the list and as soon as I get an address, I'll be sending the book on. Thank you for making this book available!

10/26/2006 - I was unable to get in touch with either of the next two people on the list and so have sent it off to shpriz1, who I hope enjoys the novel as much as I did.

Thanks so much Guinneth for making this book available!

Journal Entry 33 by shpriz1 from Clifton, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, November 01, 2006
Got it. Thank you very much.

Journal Entry 34 by shpriz1 from Clifton, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Wow, wow, wow. This book is simply awesome. The only bad part about it is that it ended way too soon (for my taste). The movie is my old-time favorite and I was looking forward to reading the book. I can't decide which one is better (usually the book wins, but not in this case). The characters are simply adorable. I really enjoyed reading newspaper articles. Dot Weems is great. I truly belive that my boyfriend is reincarnated Wilbur (either that or they are long lost twins who are only about 100 years apart) lol.
Thank you, Guinneth, for starting this ray and including me in it.
I will mail the book out as soon as I have the address.
===================================================================================================
11/08/06 - Mailed the book to the next person.

Journal Entry 35 by Mamikaem from Maryland Heights, Missouri USA on Thursday, November 16, 2006
Received this in today's mail. Thanks!! I have some book rings in front of this, but will get to it asap.

UPDATE: 12/30/06 - My apologies for my slowness. Just starting this today.

Journal Entry 36 by Mamikaem from Maryland Heights, Missouri USA on Monday, February 05, 2007
This book took me a long time to get through, not because it wasn't captivating, but life got in the way. I'm glad I stuck it out though. It was really good! I'm looking forward to reading other books like Fannie Flagg. I've always known her as the goofy actress from 70's game shows. I didn't expect her to be such an excellent author! Thanks, all!

Mailed to TanyaReed on 02/06/07.

Journal Entry 37 by TanyaReed from Little River Harbour, Nova Scotia Canada on Saturday, February 24, 2007
Just got this yesterday. I can't wait to read it!

Journal Entry 38 by TanyaReed from Little River Harbour, Nova Scotia Canada on Sunday, February 25, 2007
I liked this book. It is interesting to see how the book differed from the movie (and there were quite a few differences.) The jumping through time and "tell not show" style are usually not my thing, but it worked for this book.

Journal Entry 39 by Ibis3 from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Friday, March 30, 2007
Just arrived. I have a few books before it, but I hope to get to it soon. It looks really good.

Journal Entry 40 by Ibis3 from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 05, 2007
First, an apology for holding onto this book for *so* long. I actually finished it back in April but have had a backlog of books to read, journal, and post. Finally I''m up to the books I finished in April!

So, it''s been a while since I finished so I''m going to have to try and recall my feelings and thoughts when the memory of reading it was fresh.

I couldn''t help but compare this book to the movie, which I really loved. The book contained many of the same elements but the emphasis was quite different. I really enjoyed how the story was told in short narrative chapters interspersed with the newspaper gossip column and the chapters about Evelyn. I really enjoy books that jump around in time as long as all the threads come together and Flagg managed to do that quite well (though there was what I believe to be an error in the timing in Evelyn''s sections near the beginning of the book. I think my memory of the movie is too strong to really appreciate the book on its own merits, even though there were a few things about the book I preferred (e.g. the implication that Idgie and Mrs Threadgoode was the same person was a melodramatic Hollywood addition, plus the relationship between Idgie and Ruth was too subtle -- I liked how forthright and honestly portrayed it was in the book). Not sure which ending I liked better, but I''m glad that the book had so much more meat than the movie -- with a longer span of time and more characters to develop.

I''ll send this book out on Tuesday (it''s a holiday on Monday here so the P.O. is closed).

Thanks for your patience, everyone!

Journal Entry 41 by Ibis3 from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 07, 2007
Sent out today as promised. Sorry again for the delay!

Journal Entry 42 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Book has arrived safely, thanks. I''ll start this sometime today.

Journal Entry 43 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Monday, September 17, 2007
What a cute story!

I kinda found it funny and ironic when Mrs. Theadgoode thought that we wouldn't reach the year 2000 and that we're in our last time because I'm here sitting here reading it and it's 2007.

I will PM the next person and will pass it on when I get a address.

Sent today to wubbaducky after gategyspy asked to be skipped.

Released 13 yrs ago (10/12/2007 UTC) at To the next participant in Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Sent today to wubbaducky after gategyspy asked to be skipped. Thanks Guinneth.

Journal Entry 46 by wubbaducky from not specified, not specified not specified on Saturday, November 03, 2007
Arrived safe and sound - many thanks!

Journal Entry 47 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Monday, November 03, 2008
Sadly, this very well-travelled book seems to have prematurely reached the end of its journey. I last heard from wubbaducky in July of this year, but nothing since then. I certainly hope he/she is alright; I know RL does sometimes interfere with BC life, but I'm still sad that my most successful bookray to date has died. Ah, well.

I've given the names of all participants still waiting to read this to JennyC1230, who has another copy circulating. I'm sorry for the delay and hope you all get to enjoy the book via her ray. You can find it here.

Journal Entry 48 by wubbaducky from not specified, not specified not specified on Friday, August 28, 2009
Sorry sorry sorry. Posted on this morning - apologies for the huge delay. Life got very very crazy for a while there. Very very sorry!

Journal Entry 49 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 02, 2009
Since this ring had been stalled for almost two years, I had signed up for another one and read the book almost 6 months ago. This copy appeared out of the blue, so I will now ask Tanamo if she still wants to read it, two years down the line.
And if you are now getting stalled rings and rays moving again, wubbaducky, could you please have a look for Rape: A Love Story, a ray started by me which you have had in your possession for around 18 months. I would appreciate it if it could get moving again, as I know a lot of people were looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 50 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 27, 2009
Update on the progress of this ring. Tanamo has already read it, and I'm getting no response from GiraffePrincess. I've moved on to Dei and am waiting to find out if he/she would like me to send it on.

Journal Entry 51 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 23, 2010
The book is finally on its way to JennyC1230, who has another ring running, made up of a lot of the people who signed up for THIS ring and then got frustrated when it stalled!!

Journal Entry 52 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, February 01, 2010
The book is here! Thanks for sending it arturogrande. The bookray I started in December 2007 is still travelling so I will save this book for a replacement if needed for it.

JennyC1230's Fried Green Tomatoes Bookray

Journal Entry 53 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Wednesday, May 19, 2010
My Bookray for Fried Green Tomatoes is at the last person, so this book is ready to travel again. I sent Guinneth a message to see if she wants this book back or if she wants me to put it in a Bookbox. I just noticed the bookmark inside the book, and found that it was made for Guinneth, so I can mail it to her once I get the address!

Journal Entry 54 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Offered as a RABCK in the RABCK forum, since Guinneth doesn't want this book back.

Journal Entry 55 by JennyC1230 at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (9/4/2013 UTC) at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sending to Evelyn because I think she might enjoy this book.