corner corner Ambulance Girl: How I Saved Myself By Becoming an EMT

Ambulance Girl: How I Saved Myself By Becoming an EMT
by Jane Stern | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by Rhonder of St Paul, Alberta Canada on 3/27/2012

status (set by elizardbreath): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Rhonder from St Paul, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Five years ago Jane Stern was a walking encyclopedia of panic attacks, depression, and hypochondria. Her marriage of more than thirty years was suffering, and she was virtually immobilized by fear and anxiety. As the daughter of parents who both died before she was thirty, Stern was terrified of illness and death, and despite the fact that her acclaimed career as a food and travel writer required her to spend a great deal of time on airplanes, she suffered from a persistent fear of flying and severe claustrophobia. But a strange thing happened one day on a plane that was grounded at the Minneapolis airport for six horrible, foodless, airless hours. A young man on a trip with his classmates suddenly became dizzy and pale because he hadn’t eaten in many hours, and there was no food left on the plane. Without thinking about it, Jane gave him the candy bar that she had in her purse. A short time later the color had returned to his cheeks, the boy was laughing again with his friends, and Jane realized that this one small act of kindness—helping another person who was suffering—had provided her with comfort and a sense of well-being.

It was shortly thereafter that this fifty-two-year-old writer decided to become an emergency medical technician, eventually coming to be known as Ambulance Girl. Stern tells her story with great humor and poignancy, creating a wonderful portrait of a middle-aged, Woody Allen–ish woman who was “deeply and neurotically terrified of sick and dead people,” but who went out into the world to save other people’s lives as a way of saving her own. Her story begins with the boot camp of EMT training: 140 hours at the hands of a dour ex-marine who took delight in presenting a veritable parade of amputations, hideous deformities, and gross disasters. Jane—overweight and badly out of shape—had to surmount physical challenges like carrying a 250-pound man seated in a chair down a dark flight of stairs. After class she did rounds in the emergency room of a local hospital, where she attended to a schizophrenic kickboxer who had tried to kill his mother that morning and a stockbroker who was taken off the commuter train to Manhattan with delirium tremens so bad it killed him.

Each call Stern describes is a vignette of human nature, often with a life in the balance. From an AIDS hospice to town drunks, yuppie wife beaters to psychopaths, Jane comes to see the true nature and underlying mysteries of a town she had called home for twenty years. Throughout the book we follow her as she gets her sea legs and finally bonds with the burly, handsome firefighters who become her colleagues. At the end, she is named the first woman officer of the department—a triumph we joyously share with her.

Ambulance Girl is an inspiring story by a woman who found, somewhat late in life, that “in helping others I learned to help myself.” It is a book to be treasured and shared.

Journal Entry 2 by Rhonder at St Paul, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (3/27/2012 UTC) at St Paul, Alberta Canada

Sending directly from BetterWorldBooks to the Happy Day RABCK winner - stringofpearls! Hope you enjoy this wishlist book, it looks interesting!

Journal Entry 3 by stringofpearls at Escondido, California USA on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

This arrived today - thanks, Rhonder! It does look interesting. I'm looking forward to reading it soon!

Journal Entry 4 by stringofpearls at Escondido, California USA on Saturday, October 27, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (10/24/2012 UTC) at Escondido, California USA

I was drawn to this because it's the true story of a woman my age who jumps into an unlikely new career by the seat of her pants. Not sure how she stuck with it. Sending the book to MyssCyn who is also indefatigable (had to use a thesaurus to find the perfect word)

Journal Entry 5 by MyssCyn at San Antonio, Texas USA on Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Wow, I actually know what indefatigable means. Thank you! I call it being a bulldog.
I love the description of the book and will shoot it to the top of my Mt. TBR.
Thanks so much for the book and also for letting me whine and complain so often.

Journal Entry 6 by MyssCyn at San Antonio, Texas USA on Friday, November 02, 2012

I truly enjoyed this book. I loved that the author, a writer for Gourmet magazine, overcame her fears and just pushed on through to become an EMT. Her story shows that you can do anything you set your mind to and it illustrates that you never know what is going on in a persons life unless they tell you.
I wish she had included her husband in the story a bit more. It isn't until the end of the story that we hear he has his own hidden demons.
Thanks for this great read!

Journal Entry 7 by MyssCyn at San Antonio, Texas USA on Sunday, January 06, 2013

Sending off as a wishlist tag.

Journal Entry 8 by Flossie771 at Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Monday, January 14, 2013

Thanks for tagging me....adding to mt tbr.

Journal Entry 9 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Thursday, May 22, 2014

Sent from Flossie771 for my: Virtual Biography/Auto-Biography/Humor Bookbox. Thank you for the extra books!

Journal Entry 10 by JennyC1230 at another bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, April 17, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (4/17/2015 UTC) at another bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sending to Booklady331 from the Virtual Biography/Auto-Biography/Humor Bookbox Enjoy the books!

Journal Entry 11 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The book arrived today. Thank you for sharing with me. I am looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 12 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, December 26, 2015

this is about a lady who overcame her fear and did what she did not expect to do. As someone who had to fight for overcoming fear in their lives I could relate to her in some way. I will pass it so I'm probably one of the virtual boxes.

Journal Entry 13 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Sunday, January 17, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (1/17/2016 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! KTM book off to NancyNova for the ABC VBB box. Trust you enjoy the book.

Journal Entry 14 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, January 30, 2016

Love the way the title is printed - and this book has been through a few hands! Adding to Mt Toobie for now.

Journal Entry 15 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, February 06, 2016

It didn't take long to find a match for this book! Just pulled for a wishlist tag - will read then forward it on.

Journal Entry 16 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, March 03, 2016

From a bookbox, A gourmet magazine writer, who goes into panic attacks on planes decides in her 50s to become an EMT. Quite funny, I suppose because I too trained as an EMT and worked as a nurse. I totally get the macabre humor, as she describes her training and her "firsts" on the runs. Now off to another reader as a wishlist tag.

Journal Entry 17 by wingNancyNovawing at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Saturday, March 05, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (3/5/2016 UTC) at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

From the wishlist tag game. Enjoy!

If you aren't familiar with Bookcrossing, take a few minutes to check out this very cool site. Bookcrossers LOVE books, and more than anything, they love to read books and then set them free for other people to find and enjoy. I would love it if you would leave a journal entry -- you can say where you found the book or how you liked it when you read it. Then, when you are ready, pass it along for someone else to enjoy! Thanks and happy reading!

Journal Entry 18 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, March 14, 2016

Thanks, NancyNova! This was on my wishlist for quite a while.

Great to see such a well-traveled book!

Journal Entry 19 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, January 23, 2018

I read this several months ago and really enjoyed it. It’s a quick read, but a moving one. I could identify with some of Stern’s feelings and issues and greatly admire her courage.

I’ve known a couple people who were EMT's and their work stories were both interesting and frightening. [I served as “victim” to one friend’s practical exam, chosen because – back then (smile) – I was slim and lightweight, good for being “boarded” for spinal immobilization, lifted, etc. I learned a lot and had fun.] Like many, I think, she had to give it up after a few years because of lower back and knee issues – not to mention emotional burnout. The pay didn’t seem adequate for such a demanding job – unless things have changed for the better in recent years.

Recommended!
-----------------------------
Reserved for booklady331's Nonfiction VBB.

Journal Entry 20 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, February 05, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (2/5/2018 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

On its way to elizardbreath via booklady331's Nonfiction VBB. Hope you enjoy it!

Released for Keep Them Moving Challenge hosted by booklady331.

DEAR FINDER,

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 21 by elizardbreath at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Friday, February 09, 2018

Thank you so much for sending this my way. I'm looking forward to reading it. But do you know what I'm absolutely THRILLED about??!!!! This 1886 bookmark you included! I have never seen a legit bookmark from the Victorian era---I'm SO excited! Thank you, friend!