The Confession: A Novel

by John Grisham | Audiobooks |
Registered by dabercro of Clinton, Utah USA on 3/19/2012
Journal Entry 1 by dabercro from Clinton, Utah USA on Monday, March 19, 2012
Another fast-paced novel by Grisham. Donte Drumm is days away from execution for a crime he was convicted of nine years earlier. Donte has always claimed his innocence. His attorney has tried over the years to get the conviction over-turned. The body was never found and Donte was convicted by rogue cops and a forced false confession.
Travis Boyette, suffering from an inoperable brain tumor, has just been paroled in Kansas for a different crime. He seeks out a minister in Kansas and confesses to having commited this crime in Texas nine years earlier.
What will the minister do with this information? Is Travis telling the truth or is he a nut case? Can they stop the execution of an innocent man? Where is the body? The book addresses government corruption, abuse of power, racism, abolishment of the death penalty, etc. Not only is this a fast-paced novel it also is thought provoking.

Released 7 yrs ago (3/31/2012 UTC) at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sending to Aberpeter in WA.

Journal Entry 3 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Saturday, April 07, 2012
Thanks dabercro

Journal Entry 4 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Wednesday, February 12, 2014
Donte Drumm is on death row for murder and his execution date is set. Mere days before the execution, Travis Boyette confides in a pastor he has never met before that Drumm is innocent. He knows this because he is the one who committed the murder Drumm has been convicted of. With the hours on the clock ticking down, Drumm's defense attorney is doing everything he can to stop the execution.

The story moves at a fairly fast pace and time is of the essence to reverse the ruling of Drumm's execution. I had a hard time believing no one in a position of power was willing to listen to the defense and took the new evidence seriously. Although I'm sure defense attorneys are often calling for a last minute change in the sentence and the governor and/or justice system has to sift through fact and fiction, I felt there was enough evidence to at the very least give Drumm another 30 days. But alas, this story wasn't so much about Drumm as it was the death sentence and people who are wrongly prosecuted. If Drumm hadn't been killed the story wouldn't have been about the corrupt political agenda of those who support the death penalty

Journal Entry 5 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (5/13/2014 UTC) at Kirkland, Washington USA

adding to booklady331's CD only bookbox

Journal Entry 6 by Dove-i-Libri at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Wednesday, June 18, 2014
This audio set is visiting us with a lot of friends in booklady331's "CD Only" Book Box --> (Link) I didn't choose this set, so it's going back into the box! Happy travels!

Journal Entry 7 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, July 18, 2014
Arrived home in my CD only bookbox. I am going to keep this book to listen to.

Journal Entry 8 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, January 16, 2015
Started this book this morning.

Journal Entry 9 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, January 17, 2015
Less than a week before the scheduled execution of Donté Drumm, convicted ten years ago for a murder he did not commit, the real killer steps forward. Travis Boyette, a convicted serial rapist on parole, approaches Keith Schroeder (a Christian minister) in Topeka and confesses to the murder. Boyette has an inoperable brain tumour, and feels bad about sending an innocent man to his death.

Reluctantly, Keith Schroeder agrees to drive Boyette to the town where the murder occurred in the hope that a confession will stop the scheduled execution of Drumm. Keith Schroeder joins forces with Donté Drumm's defence lawyer, Robbie Flak in the hope that they can at least halt the scheduled execution until Boyette's story is checked.

The character development was sketchy. The fiction became a vehicle against the death penalty and thriller became propaganda. This diminished the impact of the story, reduced my enjoyment of it and is reflected in my rating.
This story was written as a political statement. The plot is not believable enough for my liking, and characters on one side of the issue are created as likeable, basically good people, while those on the opposite side are completely bad. The story lacks realism.

The reader does not really get to know the characters. They are pretty one sided – either good or evil. The Confession comes across, at least to this reader, that if you support the death penalty, you are ignorant, racist, and un-Christian. If you oppose the death penalty you are intelligent, non-racist, and a true Christian. If you work for the prosecution, you are a villain; if you work, for the defense you are a hero.
Missing is the feelings and pain of the victim’s family. Knowing someone whose child was murdered, this really bothers me. The mother of the murder victim was presented in a negative sense as ignorant. Unfortunately, I know someone who committed murder and a couple of women whose family member were murderers. I think Grisham needs to get out and spend time with the families of murder victims so he can have a better understanding of their pain and write about them in a deeper manner. Grisham is one sided in this book.

I really do enjoy a book that develops the characters and addresses all sides without becoming a book of propaganda.

Journal Entry 10 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (6/30/2015 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! RABCK to tostle for my VBB

Journal Entry 11 by tostle at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, July 09, 2015
Thank you for sharing this book!

Journal Entry 12 by askmargaret at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Friday, December 25, 2015
Very good read! Thanks for sharing this book.