Septimus and the Danedyke Mystery

by Stephen Chance | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Tanamo of Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on 3/10/2012
Journal Entry 1 by Tanamo from Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 10, 2012
A classic tale from Faber Finds.

Journal Entry 2 by Tanamo at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, March 23, 2012
Enjoyable little mystery set in fenland.

Journal Entry 3 by Tanamo at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 12, 2012
This book is now on the Mystery & Thriller VBB at bcuk extra.

Journal Entry 4 by Tanamo at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 19, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (5/19/2012 UTC) at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

Taking to the Nottingham meet in case Cross-patch is there.

Journal Entry 5 by Tanamo at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 19, 2012
Unfortunately cross-patch didn't make the meet so this book is once again reserved and waiting for her.

Journal Entry 6 by Tanamo at Cart's Lane in Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, August 10, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (8/10/2012 UTC) at Cart's Lane in Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Taking to today's mini meet at Mrs Bridges tea rooms.

Journal Entry 7 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, August 10, 2012
Thank you, Tanamo, we got there in the end.

Journal Entry 8 by wingCross-patchwing at Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 13, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (10/13/2016 UTC) at Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Going into KaleLewin's Crime/thriller BookBox.

Journal Entry 9 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, October 23, 2016
Taken from KaleLewin's Crime Bookbox

Journal Entry 10 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 04, 2017
This was a charming, quick & easy to read mystery. Ex-Inspector Treloar is now the Reverend of a small rural parish was once home to The Danedyke Cup, a relic supposedly once belonging to Our Lady. When one of the villagers is assaulted in the church it transpires that someone is on a treasure hunt & believes that the cup is hidden in the church. Using his police experience & calling in help from a friend in the force & a local doctor, Septimus manages to track down lost manuscripts, work out where the cup is hidden & find it before being abducted by said thieves & finally retrieving the cup for a second time for it to all ending satisfactorily.

At only a hundred & thirty some pages this is quite a short read yet nevertheless an entertaining one. When I realised it had first been published in the early 1970's I was worried it would seem very dated un-PC & sexist but it didn't. The characters were credible enough & I liked the fact Septimus, despite being a vicar, was happy enough to bash someone with a truncheon should occasion demand & not adverse to a touch of blackmail either!

On the whole it's a fairly gentle paced tale the sort that would make perfect Sunday evening viewing. There's no bad language, little violence & only one murder but...*spoiler alert* it is the truly tragic demise of Sir Handel - Septimus' discovery of his body must surely soften even the hardest of hearts. While I don't think I'll be chasing down more in the series I'd be more than happy to read any I come across by chance.

Journal Entry 11 by wingPlum-crazywing at UK Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 02, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (7/2/2018 UTC) at UK Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Added to Abi-Gibby's UK Bookbox

Journal Entry 12 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, July 30, 2018
Taken out of Abi-Gibby's Book Box.
As my TBR pile is massive it may take a while to get to this.