reliable wife

by Robert Goolrick | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by babsdotter of Sparta, Missouri USA on 3/7/2012
Journal Entry 1 by babsdotter from Sparta, Missouri USA on Wednesday, March 7, 2012
He placed a notice in a Chicago paper, an advertisement for "a reliable wife." She responded, saying that she was "a simple, honest woman." She was, of course, anything but honest, and the only simple thing about her was her single-minded determination to marry this man and then kill him, slowly and carefully, leaving her a wealthy widow, able to take care of the one she truly loved.

What Catherine Land did not realize was that the enigmatic and lonely Ralph Truitt had a plan of his own. And what neither anticipated was that they would fall so completely in love.

This is an advance read edition.

Journal Entry 2 by babsdotter at Sparta, Missouri USA on Wednesday, August 29, 2012
on its way to the next stop as part of VBB

Journal Entry 3 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Waiting for me when I returned home from my vacation. Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Tuesday, May 28, 2013
Ralph places an ad in the paper for a wife and Catherine answers it and moves to Wisconsin. Neither one is honest in their intentions and their story unfolds in ways they never imagined.

Journal Entry 5 by dabercro at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (6/26/2013 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Adding to Aberpeter's Read and Journalled Bookbox.

Journal Entry 6 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Monday, July 8, 2013
Came home in my Read and Journaled bookbox. I look forward to reading this book

Journal Entry 7 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Sunday, December 22, 2013
Lies and Deception

It's 1907 and Ralph places an ad in a Chicago newspaper looks for a reliable wife. Catherine responds to the ad and soon finds herself moving to Wyoming. Although Catherine's façade is that of a reliable wife, she has other motives which aren't as pure as she'd like Ralph to believe. As the story unfolds it becomes apparent that Ralph has other motives for his new wife as well.

Overall I felt there was a "Be Careful what you Wish For" theme that ran through the novel. With false assumptions, devious plans, and half truths running rampant throughout the story, not one of the characters really seemed to have a full grasp of themselves as an individual. They were each so caught up in the other characters, their own plans, and intended outcomes that no one was truly happy and everyone kept looking for the next best thing. It wasn't until the end of the novel that Ralph and Catherine finally accepted themselves as individuals and because of this they were finally able to open themselves up to love the other and to be loved.

Journal Entry 8 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Friday, May 2, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (5/2/2014 UTC) at Kirkland, Washington USA

sending to lauraloo29, winner of the April Happy Day RABCK

Journal Entry 9 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, May 9, 2014
What a wonderful surprise! Thank you!

Journal Entry 10 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, July 6, 2018
Sadly, time for my yearly book purge. I will look for a new home for this one.

Journal Entry 11 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Monday, February 11, 2019

Released 2 yrs ago (2/13/2019 UTC) at Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sending to the winner of wonderful family sweepstakes! Congratulations!

Journal Entry 12 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Saturday, March 30, 2019
I think that I was a decoy here. :)
The postman just delivered it in my hands.
Thank you to the Canada Post who wrapped it in plastic because the paper enveloppe was torn apart.
Seems like a book that I'm looking forward to reading.
Thank you lauraloo !

Journal Entry 13 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, April 8, 2020
Ho, ho, a very good book !

Journal Entry 14 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Saturday, May 22, 2021
Wow, this book has been all over the world!
Thanks, Icila, I think this must be for the Wonderful Family Sweeps...

Journal Entry 15 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Released 3 wks ago (9/21/2021 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent today to the winner of the Wonderful Family Sweeps; I ended up with two copies of this one in the last round, and really enjoyed reading it. I hope the lucky winner will also like it.
And it does not travel alone! :)

Journal Entry 16 by wingPaulanniwing at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Thursday, September 30, 2021
Thank you for this well-travelled book and for its travel companion, Bookworm-lady! I think I am going to like this.