Apple of My Eye

by Helene Hanff | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 3/5/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Wednesday, May 16, 2012
I first discovered Helene Hanff a number of years ago, here on BC, thanks to a bookring of 84, Charing Cross Road and The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street. When I spotted this over the weekend at the Book Thing, I had to grab it.

From Amazon.com -
A celebration of her life-long love for New York, Hanff embarked on this project as an assignment, and realized she had not been to many of the main tourist attractions - the Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, the World Trade Center. As make-believe tourists, off she and Patsy travel to describe the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Grant's Tomb, Fraunces Tavern, some of New York's very special small museums, Orchard Street, a tour of Harlem, and much more. Hanff weaves in historical events and tidbits on some of New York's most notorious personalities.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Thursday, May 24, 2012
And I don't remember the last time I read a book as soon as it came in the door (unless it was a bookring, which this one isn't). This one called to me, "Read me now. Read me." So I did ;)

Written in the 1970s, this is a dated look at New York City. But the charm to the tale and love Ms. Hanff had for her city is apparent. I kept wishing I knew enough about the modern city to know which parts of it had changed since the book was written (and which, if any, hadn't). I had to be amused by her concern about Radio City Music Hall possibly closing, which I visited about 8 years ago - still there, and enjoyed the Christmas show very much. When I initially started this book, I was thinking this was before the World Trade Center was built - not true, I'd forgotten that they were building it in the late 70s.

Quite a charming book for a lover of NYC to enjoy, even though it's a bygone time.

This is reserved for a later RABCK.

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Friday, June 08, 2018
Sadly, MaryZee passed suddenly in September 2012. MaryZee's daughter is now ready to rehome her mom's books and I was willing to collect and redistribute them to keep her literary legacy alive.

I don't need any more books on my TBR pile, but I adored 84 Charing Cross Road, so I want to try this one.

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Sunday, July 15, 2018

Apple of My Eye
by Helene Hanff
19004147
Cheryl's review Jul 15, 2018 · edit
really liked it

A really enjoyable read about the author becoming acquainted with her hometown through the lens of a tourist. I snagged this book from a collection that came from a late friend because of how much I loved 84 Charing Cross Road. This book had the same voice and was full if tidbits of trivia and humor. I learned about The Cloisters (I always wondered what they were). I found out the source of the euphemism "using the facilities." I learned about the sad fate if immigrants turned away at Ellis Island. And I learned about the World Trade Center and Trump Tower.

It was nice to see New York City through Hanff's eyes. It made me want to see more of it in person.

Journal Entry 5 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Friday, July 20, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (7/21/2018 UTC) at Silver Spring, Maryland USA

This book is going to meet-up with me and hopefully going home with someone else.

Journal Entry 6 by wingmelydiawing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, July 21, 2018
Picked up at today's BCinDC meetup in Wheaton, MD. I liked Hanff's other book, so I'm looking forward to this one too. And it has special significance having been registered and loved by my friend MaryZee. She always was the best at recommending books while she was alive; no reason for her to stop now. :)

Released 8 mos ago (10/20/2019 UTC) at Fashion Centre at Pentagon City - Food Court in Arlington, Virginia USA

I got about halfway through this one and while it's cleverly written, I am simply not the target audience. I've never been to New York City, and to really appreciate this book you need to have at least a passing familiarity with the locations the author visits.
I hope the next reader enjoys it. I'm taking it to the BCinDC meetup today; if no one claims it, I'll wild release it somewhere nearby.
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 8 by FortHuntLFL at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, October 26, 2019
Left over from the October BCinDC meetup. Took it home for my LFL.

Released 2 mos ago (4/26/2020 UTC) at Day of the Book (street festival) on Howard Avenue in Kensington, Maryland USA

Released at the BC in DC table at Kensington's Day of the Book. This book was in my Little Free Library and now I'm releasing to the world.