The Xibalba Murders (Archaeological Mysteries, No. 1)

by Lyn Hamilton | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 3/5/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, March 11, 2012
I've found a few of the later books in this series, and just bought this one from BetterWorldBooks.com, since I haven't been able to find it. This was a withdrawn book from Thunder Bay Library, and is marked accordingly.

This is promised to Eponine38 in the wishlist tag game, and will be going to her as soon as I've finished reading it.

From the cover -
As the former owner of a Toronto antiquties store, Lara McClintoch is obsessed with finding rare and beautiful artifacts. Her travels take her to the ends of the earth, where history jealously guards its treasures - and where the mysteries of the past meet the dangers of the present...
After receiving a cryptic phone call from Dr. Hernan Castillo, an expert in Mayan history, Lara travels to Merida, Mexico, to help him with a mysterious project that he has undertaken. But on arriving in Merida, Lara sees no sign of the good doctor - until his lifeless body turns up in his office at the museum. Retracing the doctor's recent footsteps, she is drawn into the jungles surrounding Merida. For in this lush paradise are the temples of Mayan gods - and the camps of modern-day rebels fighting to save their Mayan heritage. As the body count escalates, Lara must uncover the secrets of the Mayan underworld known as Xibalba - and journey into the very heart of darkness...

Journal Entry 2 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, March 17, 2012
This is a great premise for a mystery series, former owner of an antiquities store gets caught up in mysteries relating to archaelogical digs. In this case, a long-time colleague calls Lara and asks her to join him in Mexico, but won't tell her exactly why. He only mentions a project involving a writing rabbit.

Unfortunately, this first book in the series is not very well written. The pacing is terrible, and the characters lack depth. That said, I did enjoy the way the author incorporated the Mayan calendar into the story structure to give a Mayan flavor to the storyline. I'm hoping the writing will improve as the series goes on (since I have the next 3 or 4 books in the series).

This book will soon be off to Eponine38, for the wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (3/24/2012 UTC) at Taneytown, Maryland USA

This went out in the mail to Massachusetts this morning, for the wishlist tag game. Sorry it took so long. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, March 26, 2012
Thank you for this wishlist book via the tag game, MaryZee!

Journal Entry 5 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, March 22, 2015
Oh no, I read this actually a couple years ago and never journaled or released it. Shame on me. At this point I don't remember details, but do recall being slightly disappointed in it. (I've read another of this series since then [The Moai Murders] and enjoyed it more).
It was definitely worth reading; sometimes my impressions of a book are largely due to my mood at the time [a somewhat scary thought!].

I do hope this book finds more readers, to honor the memory of maryzee.
----------------------------------------
Reserved for bookstogive's Mystery/Thriller/Suspense VBB.