Biography of a Germ

by Arno Karlen | Science |
ISBN: 0385720661 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 2/25/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, February 25, 2012
This book tells the story of Borrelia burgdorferi (Bb), which causes Lyme disease. I found it fascinating and entertaining. Written in layperson's language, it reads easily, yet I learned a lot. This was the author's last book, written in 2000 (he passed away in 2010), after a varied career which included work as a psychoanalyst. This latter career is evident in his telling the story from the perspective of Bb itself, and (to use an old stereotype), his digressions into the sex lives of fleas and ticks :-).

Some readers may complain that he digresses too much and takes too long to get to the actual subject of the book, but I found it all interesting and informative. I plan to search out some of his earlier works, including Napoleon’s Glands and Other Ventures in Biohistory (1984) and Man and Microbes: Disease and Plagues in History and Modern Times (1995).

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, September 17, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (9/17/2012 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Added to MaryZee's Biographies of Things Bookbox and traveling to 6of8.

RIP, MaryZee. We miss you.

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Friday, September 21, 2012
Wasn't really sure about the title of this one -- although I guess it is better than Autobiography of a Germ (I would be afraid to touch that title, literally) -- but it did intrigue me. Thought it might make for interesting reading. Plus it will be a good seed book if I end up restarting this book box from scratch.

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, October 19, 2013
One of the most readable science-related books I have read -- not too much technical gobbledygook and a very clear and straightforward style. I learned things I never knew about ticks and germs and lizards, and they were actually quite interesting. The question of the source of a germ and whether it is new to science or somehow just overlooked despite its effects being well-known was fascinating to me. This discussion of the spirochetes germ that causes Lyme disease was definitely worth the read and is one I would recommend to anyone with an interest in science or medicine.

Journal Entry 5 by wing6of8wing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Sunday, November 03, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (11/3/2013 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

"A book is a mysterious object, I said, and once it floats out into the world, anything can happen. All kinds of mischief can be caused, and there's not a damned thing you can do about it. For better or worse, it's completely out of your control." -- Paul Auster

This book is going into the Medicine Chest Book Box, which is off to Florida and azuki.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, November 19, 2013
I love little micro-history books so am taking this out of the box. Thanks.