Killed at the Whim of a Hat: A Jimm Juree Novel (Jimm Juree 1)

Snuggle up with a book!
by Colin Cotterill | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingDeepswampwing of Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on 2/20/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingDeepswampwing from Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Saturday, April 28, 2012
The launch of a brand new series by the internationally bestselling, critically acclaimed author of The Coroner’s Lunch

With worldwide critical acclaim, Colin Cotterill is one of the most highly regarded “cult favorite” crime writers today. Now, with this new series, Cotterill is poised to break into the mainstream. Set in present day rural Thailand, Cotterill is as sharp and witty, yet more engaging and charming, than ever before.

Jimm Juree was a crime reporter for the Chiang Mai Daily Mail with a somewhat eccentric family—a mother who might be drifting mentally; a grandfather—a retired cop—who rarely talks; a younger brother obsessed with body-building, and a transgendered, former beauty pageant queen, former older brother. When Jimm is forced to follow her family to a rural village on the coast of Southern Thailand, she’s convinced her career—maybe her life—is over. So when a van containing the skeletal remains of two hippies, one of them wearing a hat, is inexplicably unearthed in a local farmer’s field, Jimm is thrilled. Shortly thereafter an abbot at a local Buddhist temple is viciously murdered, with the temple’s monk and nun the only suspects.

Suddenly Jimm’s new life becomes somewhat more promising—and a lot more deadly. And if Jimm is to make the most of this opportunity, and unravel the mysteries that underlie these inexplicable events, it will take luck, perseverance, and the help of her entire family.

One of Library Journal's Best Mystery Books of 2011

Journal Entry 2 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (1/2/2014 UTC) at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden

En annorlunda deckare, Jimm Juree var kul att lära känna!

Journal Entry 3 by Mariabokmal at Malmö, Skåne Sweden on Friday, January 03, 2014
Paket fullt med överraskningar i posten idag - fick inte plats i postlådan, men brevbäraren ringde på och hemlevererade! Tack så hemskt mycket!!!

Journal Entry 4 by Mariabokmal at Malmö, Skåne Sweden on Saturday, January 04, 2014
Couldn't wait to start with this one, a "cosy" mystery was just what I was in the mood for. And the book didn't disapoint! I like Jimm Juree as much as (or even a bit more) i like Dr Siri in the other books by Cotterill!

Released 3 yrs ago (4/10/2015 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention 2015 in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

At the Convention.

Journal Entry 6 by wingeponine38wing at Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 10, 2015
I was so excited to find this on the book buffet! It has been on my wishlist for a long time! Tack!

Journal Entry 7 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, February 16, 2016
Oh, this was so much fun! For me, the mystery was secondary to the wonderful characters, from retired cop grandpa, whose honesty kept him from advancing in his career, to the mother (Mair) who may have a touch of dementia and who loves to tell her family - in great detail - personal stories they'd rather not hear. Brother-turned-sister Sissi, who makes her living hacking into websites and creating online personalities, and younger brother Arny, still a virgin. Jimm Juree herself is a sympathetic character, and what she does to resist a would-be suitor adds to the fun of this story.

The title is based on a George W. Bush quote, and each chapter begins with one of his verbal masterpieces. :-) Very entertaining!

So, how are the skeletal couple buried in a VW bus related to the murder of an abbott - or are they? Read this fun mystery and find out.

Journal Entry 8 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (2/16/2016 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

On its way to ghir via the US/Canada Wishlist-tag game.

Released for Keep Them Moving Challenge hosted by booklady331.

Journal Entry 9 by wingghirwing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, March 02, 2016
Received safely today. Have recently discovered this author and look forward to reading this one. Thank you for sharing this with me.

Reserved for hyphen8 when done.

Jimm Juree's move to a small village becomes less sleepy when a VW van containing two skeletons is unearthed by a well digger, closely followed by the murder of a monk.

I think I prefer the second book (Grandad, There's a Head on the Beach) because the characters have settled into their roles.

Journal Entry 10 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, April 03, 2016
Love the title and the cover of this one - thank you ghir!

Received today during our TOC lunch at Town - thanks for setting everything up.

Journal Entry 11 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, October 13, 2016
I wanted to like this: for one thing, the Dubya quotes are priceless. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood, but Jimm's attitude got to me - she seems to look down on everyone and everything around her.

Or it might just be that I wasn't in the mood for anything, since at the time when I started this I was having trouble settling on my next read, and abandoned several books in a row. Oh well. Better luck to the next reader.

Journal Entry 12 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (10/18/2016 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Headed out in AlterEgoZoe's Asian/Far East Bookbox; released for solittletime's Spook-tacular Halloween challenge and DragonGoddess's Tick Tock challenge.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book!

Please take a moment to make a journal entry and let the book's previous readers know that it's safe with you.

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow the further adventures of your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

(Think of it like Where's George for books: a little like geocaching or a treasure hunt - you can follow a registered book's journey every time someone makes a new entry. Some BookCrossers even leave books *in* geocaches!)

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!

Journal Entry 13 by wingfreezonewing at Leominster, Massachusetts USA on Friday, November 18, 2016
Received this in the Asian bookcrossing box. I'm pretty sure I've heard good things about this series. Looking forward to it.