Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Registered by BoLe on 10/6/2003
Journal Entry 1 by BoLe on Monday, October 06, 2003
Now let me tell you something about Roald Dahl and Quentin Blake. They are marvelous.

Dahl's lucidity in words is made even stronger by Blake's morbidity in pictures. Forces joined, the story equally suits a 10-year-old kid as a 24. Every Dahl's adventure is a wonderful journey far back, on and sideways.

If you usually become a little peckish whilst reading a book, like myself, your hunger will be thrice satisfied with the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Oh, and the songs, those songs, so good!

Release planned for Monday, October 13, 2003 at Post Office, Trzaska Street in Ljubljana, Ljubljana Slovenia.

Slice It If You Can contest's smartie winner is pikapolonica.
Check http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/10/188777 . That is why this sweet choco book is on its way to her.

BTW, did you know that an average American eats 4.5 kg of chocolate every year?

Yes, that's how here says. May it be that, since the mentioned reference is primary concerened with cacao, the data of 4.5 kg implies such an amount of raw cacao? If so, it would mean that an average American eats a 100g Milka chocolate with 25% cacao solids per two days. Nåja, this also doesn't sound that much, does it? However, when such an intake becomes regular like brushing your teeth, it surely has to have an effect. Because I know of another statistic, which says that an average American gains a kilogram a year.

Journal Entry 3 by pikapolonica on Thursday, October 30, 2003
This is exactly the kind of chocolatey book that can brighten up rainy autumn days. Very appropriate for this time of year.

Does an average American eat 4.5 kg of chocolate a year? Hm, that is 45 100g chocolates and means that one should eat one such every 8.111 days. Doesn't sound so much, after all, one chocolate per week. :)

I read the book, but what can I say, it was a bit disappointing. The point of the tale seems to be that you will fare best in life if you are good, quiet, not envious, incospicious and unnoticeable. Hm? Is that really so?

Journal Entry 4 by pikapolonica on Wednesday, April 14, 2004
This book is to be turned into a chocolate bookring in Europe.

The usual bookring rules apply, except that there is an extra condition that you send one chocolate to the person after you together with the book. And of course you will get the chocolate from the person before you. :) It should be any kind of chocolate, but preferably from your country and not more than 100g (so it doesn't add that much to the weight of the book).

The bookring is closed now. Wow, I never expected such a response to my idea! :)))

When you receive the book, this is what you should do:
1. Make the journal entry telling the other participants that the book is with you.
2. PM the person after you to get his/hers address. To keep the ring moving: if there's no reply after 2 weeks and 2 PMs, then PM the next person on the list for the address.
3. Eat and enjoy the chocolate. :))))
4. Read the book and make another journal entry when you are finished.
5. Send the book and the new chocolate to the next person, preferably within 2-3 weeks after receiving it.

List of participants (in mailing order) - these people already journaled the book:
1. ermintrude75, Norwich, UK
22. Zartbitter, München, Germany
23. froggy-frog, Tübingen, Germany
24. urpfi, Basel, Switzerland
25. blacksheeps99, Wien, Austria
26. Back to me in Sweden.

Journal Entry 5 by pikapolonica on Friday, April 16, 2004
The ring has started, here is a map of its travels.
The book and a Swedish chocolate are on their way to ermintrude75. Happy reading! :)

Journal Entry 6 by ermintrude75 from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 21, 2004
Arrived safe and sound yesterday... thanks pikapolonica! The question is, can I make the chocolate last as long as it takes me to read the book? :o)

[3rd May] Of course the chocolate didn't last that long... although the book is very nice and short to read, with Quentin Blake's famous illustrations in there too. It helped me to while away a rainy afternoon, suffering a nasty cold, but sad to say it wasn't quite as fantastic as I remembered from childhood. I thought more had been made of the "sticky ends" suffered by the four other children, but then again maybe that would make the story too long and the moral message too heavy (compared to the idea that everything will be OK if only you can win a competition... hmm, not sure about that one either ;) Still, Mr Wonka's character is sharp and witty, and the book did cheer me up which is what I needed.

Off to Portugal very soon, the only problem is which chocolate to choose to send with it!

Journal Entry 7 by Dangerouswoman from Matosinhos, Porto Portugal on Monday, May 10, 2004
Received by mail post in friday!Thank you for the chocolats Erminnutrude(katy)

Journal Entry 8 by Dangerouswoman from Matosinhos, Porto Portugal on Saturday, May 15, 2004
This book is amazing!I love to read them.It tels us the story of a young boy that live in miserable conditions whit is four grandmothers, grandfathers and is parents.
But one day he have a surprise.He found some money in the street and decide to try is luck whit some bars of chocolat to win a gold ticket ,to visit a famous chocolate factory of mr.wonka.
He win the last golden ticket and go to this famous factory.
The four boys and girls that win the golden ticket are rich.
Somethings stanges hapened whit the others kid because they are ambicious.Charlie continuos the visit.He win.
I think this book gave to us some life lesson because he show to us that sometimes the ambition, and have lots of money don´t gave to us hapiness and good results.Sometimes he have to be more kindness and humilty.
Charlie have the same caracter at to the end and he win.Mr.Wonka gave to him the factory.
Its amazing how the world of the chocolat is so vaste and so big.
I love to read this book and eat the chocolats that came whit them.

Journal Entry 9 by Dangerouswoman at entregue em mão in -- Controlled Release --, Porto Portugal on Saturday, May 15, 2004
Released on Saturday, May 15, 2004 at entregue em mão in Porto, Porto Portugal.

Released to Ravediver.I hope that you enjoy the book.Its very beautiful.

Journal Entry 10 by RaveDiver on Tuesday, May 18, 2004
Arrived today in the mail! Thank you dangerouswoman3 for the lovely and tasty chocolates, but I'm afraid they won't last til the end of the book... ;-)

Journal Entry 11 by RaveDiver on Friday, June 11, 2004
A very funny book, where the little brats go down the sink, and because they're not the only ones guilty of their bad manners, their spoiling parents join them...;-)
A great book that should be read by grown-ups too!
To be passed to Di78...

Journal Entry 12 by Di78 from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Tuesday, June 22, 2004
Arrived today by hand with a wonderfull chocolate that soon I will taste... Thanks RaveDiver.

Enjoyable book.

15/09/04
I'ts almost a month since I try to contact the next person of this bookring with no luck...
I'll try the next in the list.

Journal Entry 13 by WAM from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, October 15, 2004
Arrived in Madrid. Thank you Di78 for sending it and for the chocolate, and, of course, to pikapolonica for the idea.

Journal Entry 14 by WAM from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, October 21, 2004
Delightful book! I had read it ages ago, and then again when my kids were the age to read (or at least of being read to). And now I did it again, to discover that I have to correct BoLe: the book is still worth reading after 24!

And what can I say of Di78's chocolate?. The book was a quick read, but the chocolate lasted even less...

Now, off to France together with some spanish chocolate. I hope you like it black, Kanapoutz. It is my favourite, and it has less cholesterol!

Journal Entry 15 by KanaPoutz from Nice, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France on Tuesday, October 26, 2004
The book was waiting for me today as I got back to the office after one week. Thanks a lot WAM for the dark chocolate, which will be much appreciated today as the weather is horrible, I'm tired and don't want to be at work! This will cheer me up! :-)
Thanks also for your message, I'm glad you're interested in Kanapoutzs ;-); see you on the French forum!
More about the book later!

Journal Entry 16 by KanaPoutz from Nice, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France on Monday, November 22, 2004
Thank a lot Pikapolonica for this bookring! And WAM for the chocolate, which was wonderful (and did not last very long!).
I really enjoyed the story, especially the descriptions of the chocolate factory, with lots of crazy great ideas!

And one thing where I thought "oh yeah, THAT'S what it is!" :
"Don't mention that disgusting stuff in front of me! Do you know what breakfast cereal is made of? It's made of all those little curly wooden shavings you find in pencil sharpeners!" :-)

I would just love a cup of hot chocolate mixed by waterfall...! :-)

Sending to Bilbi today, it seems that these days it's all about chocolate between you and me, Bilbi! ;-)

Journal Entry 17 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Tuesday, November 23, 2004
Got it today ! Thank you bole and kanapoutz for this 'ring ! I'll do my best to enjoy the chocolate... I mean the book ... er both will do :*

Kanapoutz and I are chocolate-addicted
I plead guilty too for speaking it out on international 'ring ;-)

Journal Entry 18 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Thursday, November 25, 2004
Don't wanna talk about my mouth watering ! Don't wanna talk about my giggling throughout the reading ! Don't wanna talk about my chocolate addiction !
Do you think I'm ready to disappear into the chocolate river pipes :DD

The smell of chocolate around the factory reminds me of the coffee factory not far from where I live and on certain days, the smell is really really strong and so exquisite.
The squirrels remind me of a commercial in which a guy is back from Switzerland and tells his friends that "marmottes" (just check what this animal is) are making chocolate in a factory.

To conclude : great story - thank you for sharing it and great chocolate from kanapoutz - I share it with my family, something like 70-30 : fifty-fifty was never intented :p

Journal Entry 19 by jaed from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Thursday, December 16, 2004
Got it yesterday, thanks pikapolonica, bilbi & EmilieJolie !

Journal Entry 20 by Lil-Rhinehart from Bois-Colombes, Ile-de-France France on Tuesday, March 29, 2005
I read a French Translation a long time ago. I can't wait to read the original version, and all the more since chocolatey bites will ponctutate the story...

Thanx pikapolonica and jaed !

Journal Entry 21 by KanaPoutz from Nice, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France on Monday, July 18, 2005
Ladies and Gentlemen, good afternoon!

Sorry to interrupt, I know you're not supposed to intrude like that on a bookring, but I just HAD to say this :
Please anyone who has enjoyed this book, go and see the Tim Burton's movie! That's if you like his movies, because it's kind of weird, as usual! But I think the movie translates very well the book, even though I am not sure I would want kids to see it, as it is sort of scary!
The chocolate factory is unbelievable, the characters are crazy, the oompa-loompas, well, what can I say, and Johnny Depp is fantastic as Willy Wonka!

Thanks for your attention, I will now leave this bookring, for ever :-)

It was a real pleasure to rediscover Charlie's story (espcially munching chocolate all along) :)

The book is now on its way to the Netherlands.

Journal Entry 23 by E-mile from Almere, Flevoland Netherlands on Wednesday, August 17, 2005
Got the book two weeks ago already, but with the holiday I didn't come round to make a journal entry.

It will be great to read the book, especialy with the new Tim Burton movie in the cinema (which I want to see one of these days).

Thanks for sending the book and the wonderful extra-dark chocolade, Lil-Rhinehart!!

Journal Entry 24 by E-mile from Almere, Flevoland Netherlands on Sunday, September 04, 2005
I absolutely adored the book!! It was very difficult to read it without some chocolate in my hands; the description of all the chocolate made that I HAD to have some chocolate myself, so the chocolate Lil-Rhinehart has send me with the book; has been eaten while reading the book.

Now next week I want to go and see the (new) movie to round it all up!

Thanks for making a ring of it, BoLe! And Lil-Rhinehart: thanks for the chocolate.

I've asked the next in line (cinde-rella) for the address to send the book to.....

Journal Entry 25 by E-mile at on Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (9/7/2005 UTC) at

the book and the chocolate are on their way to the next bookcrosser, cinde-rella.....

Journal Entry 26 by cinda-rella from Esslingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, September 15, 2005
hiho
the book and chocolate arrived yesterday.
the chocolate was really good :o)
now i will even read the book :-)

thanks for this wonderful ring and thank you e-mile (was the real right choice)

Journal Entry 27 by cinda-rella from Esslingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, October 03, 2005
sorry, not the right time for me to read in english. so the books going to travel - not the others waiting for me!!!
much fun and yumyum to the next ones ;-)

Journal Entry 28 by starfarer2000 from Hamburg, Hamburg Germany on Saturday, October 08, 2005
Thanks for the book and the chocolate, I began to read right away! The choc has to wait until we go together inside the Willy Wonka Chocolate fabric!
Thaks for this ring!

I loved the book! Now I want to see the film, but is it in the cinemas now??? Have to look for. Unfortunately Dorle didn't respond me, so I asked muffin77 for her adress as next reader.

Journal Entry 29 by Muffin77 from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Monday, November 14, 2005
Just arrived here on my desk. Since I have a terrible flu with a bronchitis I will go home now and probably even start reading this book. Thanks also a lot for the chocolate (Milka - hmmmmmmm) - I will wait a bit before eating it. Don't want to share it with the stupid virus!!!
Thanks a lot again for sharing it, *Pikapolonica* and thanks for sending it *Starfarer2000*

Journal Entry 30 by Muffin77 from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, November 16, 2005
Really liked the book - some months ago I saw the film in the movie theater and enjoyed it a lot too (unfortunately the DVD comes out only in jan 2006 here in Germany - no Christmas gift :((( ) Now having read the short book I "saw" the film in front of me again. I don't know how much I would have enjoyed the book without having seen the film first... Still I think the idea of the book is nice. One needs to have these ideas first and describe them in such funny, lively but nevertheless easy way! I am sure R. Dahl ate a bit too much chocolate and suffered from a "chocolate fever" when he wrote the book :)
PMing next BCer in line - the chocolate to send along is already waiting at home to be eaten by someone (and I will give anything that this someone is NOT me!!).

Sent on last Saturday to the next reader (and eater :) ) - enjoy!

Journal Entry 32 by Kerstin-S from Kaarst, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, December 08, 2005
Mmmmhhhmmmm! Chocolate and a book! Bliss!!

Thank you!

Journal Entry 33 by Kerstin-S from Kaarst, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, December 12, 2005
This is a lovely book, I really enjoyed reading it!
I guess I'll have to see the movie now, too. Is it as wonderful as the book? We'll see.

The combination of this book and a bar of chocolate was fantastic, it absolutely enhanced the pleasure of reading about chocolate and chocolate smells etc. Thank you very much for this great bookring, pikapolonica! And thank you for the lovely chocolate, Muffin77!
It's all gone now, so I better send this bookring on as soon as I get the address of the next reader.

The book and the chocolate are on their way to the next reader!

Enjoy and have a merry Christmas! :-))

Journal Entry 35 by ela1979 from Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, December 23, 2005
Got it yesterday. Thanks for the book an for the chocolate.

I´ll do my very best to read ii quickly!

It´s a very nice childrens-book.
I liked it very much.

Soon it will be send to Suzanne4Books.

Thank you!!

Journal Entry 36 by Susammelsurium from Hamburg - Barmbek, Hamburg Germany on Tuesday, June 27, 2006
The book arrived here today! In Hamburg I'll have no problems finding some fine chocolates to fill up the supplies for the next station. But first there's the time to read and to enjoy.

Journal Entry 37 by Susammelsurium from Hamburg - Barmbek, Hamburg Germany on Tuesday, July 18, 2006
It was a pleasure to read, but a little bit too obvious in its purpose. Even as a child I had some problems with a message written so clear you bump into it every other minute while reading. But nevertheless I enjoyed the journey through the chocolate factory immensely and I loved Mr. Willy Wonka and Grandpa Joe best. Thank you for this bookring!

I found some very appropriate chocolate for Hamburg... it may not be a very fine one, but you'll see what it's all about in a split second after you open it. Enjoy! :-)

Journal Entry 38 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Friday, July 28, 2006
I recieved this yesterday.
Will start reading it soon.

Can I just say that I was, for a split second, shocked when I opened the chocolate? :-D Baaahhh! I thought it was fish! :-D And to tell you the truth, I can't stand fish as long as it doesn't look like fish sticks and I absolutely hate to look at dead fish with their heads and big eyes. Eeeergh! I hope the chocolate doesn't taste like fish!

What a nice surprise, thank you, S4B... ;-)

But I really liked the newspaper it was wrapped in. So appropriate! :-D

Journal Entry 39 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Sunday, July 30, 2006
I absolutely adored this story! Marvellous! Wondeful! Very glad to have read it finally.

Will send it out to the next participant as soon as I have the address.

Thanks for letting me read this!

Journal Entry 40 by Georg-und-Co from Griesheim, Hessen Germany on Saturday, August 12, 2006
The book and the chocolate arrived today. Thank you. This is a book I will read at the streetcar on the way to the office.