Tristram Shandy

by LAURENCE STERNE | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/6/2003
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, October 06, 2003
Pre-numbered label used for registration.

I first read this hilarious - if somewhat hard to describe - book several years ago; when I found a battered-but-readable hardcover copy at the Nashua Library book sale, I thought "Great! A release copy!" so I nabbed it.

The book's something of an adventure in reading, and an example to us all of infinitely nested digressions as an art form. Mix in some slapstick, ribaldry, social commentary, and occasional Fun With Typography, and you've got yourself an entertaining read... and, as Shandy says, "Nay, if you don't believe me, you may read the chapter for your pains."

[Note: This copy is a rather beat-up and sporadically annotated Modern Library hardcover, circa (I'm guessing, since I can't find a date) the 40's or 50's. I've linked to a more current edition, as the Amazon site includes excerpts from that one, in case you're interested. I also noticed a {gulp} graphic-novel version of "Tristram Shandy," which I shall have to investigate further...]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Bridgehead - Bank and Third in Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Sunday, October 12, 2003
Release planned for Tuesday, October 14, 2003 at Bridgehead Coffeehouse on Third & Bank (Glebe) in Ottawa, Ontario Canada.

I plan to release this book at this month's Meetup; with any luck, should be in the coffeehouse at around 7 pm!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Thursday, October 30, 2003
I was first introduced to this by CS Lewis in 'Surprise by Joy'. He talks about it being a book that everyone should read and I am very excited to have a copy in my hands.
It looks like a good time!

CAUGHT IN OTTAWA - BRIDGEHEAD COFFEE SHOP ONTARIO CANADA