More Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason

LGBT History Month
by Nancy Pearl | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/30/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, February 08, 2012
I got this fair-condition trade paperback from the bargain table at Toadstool Books in Milford. I enjoyed Pearl's first recommendation book, Book Lust, and hope to add some titles to my wishlist after reading this one!

The book's organized (very loosely) by theme, sometimes subject, sometimes author or setting or some aspect of the story. [There is an index in case you want to look for references to favorite authors or titles, but there's no easy way to find all of the, for example, travel-themed stories - some are listed under obvious categories, but not all.] This does promote browsing through the book, which is the idea.

Quite a few of the entries start out with the author being buttonholed at lectures by readers of her previous book to ask why she'd left out [insert favorite book here]. That's one reason for this book's existence, but I admit I had to laugh when she revealed that she'd completely forgotten to mention Trollope's Barchester Chronicles in the previous book - a sizeable omission (rectified here, of course).

I had as much fun spotting my own favorites here as picking up suggestions for new reads. Pearl gives the nod to Bill Bryson, recommends Leo Marks' Between Silk and Cyanide, includes Middlesex in a section on "gender bending" books, and to my delight has a section on graphic novels including Persepolis.

In the entertaining section "Lines that linger", she includes Mary Roach's wonderful Stiff. And there's a "Plots for plotzing" section for books that cross genre lines and/or defy description, including the marvelous Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. And the "Time travel" list includes several favorites of mine, including Daphne du Maurier's House on the Strand...

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (4/6/2012 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to MaryZee's Bookish bookbox, which I plan to hand off to eponine38 on Friday. Hope someone enjoys the book!

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, May 05, 2012
Loveliness! This book arrived at my house on 5/2 in MaryZee's Bookish Book Box. Since I am hanging onto the box until 5/19, when I meet up with MaryZee at the Gaithersburg Book Festival, I have had a lot of time to get acquainted with the contents.

Frankly, I cheated -- at least it feels like cheating. I selected this book -- a wish list book of mine -- and read it and will put it back in the book so that I can use my trades for other books. Thanks, Gory, for including it -- it was a nice break, and a slice of happiness in a rough week!

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Saturday, May 05, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (5/5/2012 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This is going back into the Bookish Book Box for MaryZee to enjoy.

Journal Entry 5 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Monday, May 14, 2012
This book came home in my Bookish bookbox yesterday. I've had the original Book Lust on Mt. TBR for several years. I'm sure I'll have to give this one a read before sending it out in the box again. Thanks to GoryD and 6of8 for playing!

Journal Entry 6 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Wednesday, July 04, 2012
I thoroughly enjoy reading books that contain more suggestions for Mt. TBR ;) And this little book is now responsible for 30 books to be added to my wishlist.

As I read through this, I was pleasantly surprised to take note of how many of these books I'd already read, including Simon Winchester's Krakatoa, Color: A Natural History of the Palette by Victoria Finlay, and The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland (all highly recommended). I also found quite a few books listed that are already on Mt. TBR. Lots of enjoyable books found listed here. Looking forward to some more good reads, now.

Thanks to GoryDetails for sharing this. Makes me eager to dig out the original book and peruse through it as well (maybe I'll find that I've already read most of those that I'm interested in ;) - probably no such luck :P

This will be saved for another trip in the Bookish bookbox, probably this fall.

Journal Entry 7 by wing6of8wing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Sunday, June 03, 2018
Sadly, MaryZee passed suddenly in September 2012. MaryZee's daughter is now ready to rehome her mom's books and I was willing to collect and redistribute them to keep her literary legacy alive.

MaryZee had a lot of books on her BC shelves when she passed. I am planning on sharing most of them with other locals. But I am hanging on to a few that might be more appropriate for other distribution methods. From the looks of it, this might be a good fit if I revive the Bookish Book Box.