American Psycho (Vintage Contemporaries)

by Bret Easton Ellis | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by digitaltempest of Montgomery, Alabama USA on 10/4/2003
Journal Entry 1 by digitaltempest from Montgomery, Alabama USA on Saturday, October 04, 2003
The controversial novel about a handsome serial killer who moves among the young and trendy in 1980s New York.

Journal Entry 2 by digitaltempest from Montgomery, Alabama USA on Thursday, October 30, 2003
This book revolves around 26-year-old Patrick Bateman, a successful Manhattan yuppie. He seems normal enough in the beginning of the story, but soon the readers come to realize that Bateman is more than just a little psycho. I liked the movie way better than I liked this book, but the book was... addictive. This book was just awful. I think I've said that 1,000 times now. This book was so awful I had to keep reading it. It was mesmerizing. It was like looking at a car crash. It's horrible, but you can't stop looking.

The obsessive name-dropping and label-whoring annoyed me to no end and the intricate detail of shallow habits was enough to kill me. Yes, I realize this was to cement the shallowness in stone, but it was still annoying. But I had to know what was going to happen. Add a very anticlimatic ending and feeling of "What's the point?" after it's all over with. I confess that I also skimmed over some of the gorier scenes because it all became redundant and not very shocking after a while. Honestly, I can't think of anything or anyone I actually liked in this book. Reading about pretentious rich people usually doesn't render very many likable moments.

There was one scene that made me die in fits of laughter, and now, I can't remember what it was. Damn, it was the one scene that made me smile. I love Ellis' writing style -- despite the fact that this book wasn't particularly moving to me. This is one of those books that you get something out of with each read. I plan on rereading it in the (distant) future. I feel like I've probably missed small details (this is a very detailed story), and perhaps, I'll enjoy this more in the future.

Journal Entry 3 by digitaltempest from Montgomery, Alabama USA on Monday, June 12, 2006
pc