Irish Fairy Tales

by Padraic O'Farrell | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingtabby-cat-ownerwing of Bellingham, Washington USA on 1/29/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingtabby-cat-ownerwing from Bellingham, Washington USA on Sunday, January 29, 2012
Irish fairy tales, illustrated by Peter Jones.

Journal Entry 2 by wingtabby-cat-ownerwing at Phoenix, Arizona USA on Sunday, February 16, 2014
These fairy tales were unlike any fairy tales that I have ever read. Fairies and leprechauns are not nice people in this book. The things that happen to the Irish people in these fairy tales can be quite frightening.

Journal Entry 3 by wingtabby-cat-ownerwing at a RABCK, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (2/18/2014 UTC) at a RABCK, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

This book has been mailed to linguistkris of Solingen, Germany as a belated birthday present.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by winglinguistkriswing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, February 24, 2014
What a beautiful surprise, thank you so much! I love how the birthday celebrations this year just go on and on, and curling up with a fairy tale is just about my favourite thing in the world.

Journal Entry 5 by winglinguistkriswing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, March 05, 2014
These are some beautiful fairy tales, and they certainly have an above-average fairy content! :) I really enjoyed these tales, and I think it may be telling that a lot of the stories involved an element of "just deserts" -- in fairy-tale Ireland, for once, being kind and generous really pays off, and that always makes a story satisfying to me. I also liked the illustrations; simple as they were, they gently supported the narrative without distracting.
The only thing that keeps this from getting top marks from is the narrator's voice; the preface warns us that O'Farrell "spiced the original with a little humour", but oh boy, was that not my kind of humour. In fact, I disliked the preface so much that I was pleasantly surprised that the fairy tales themselves turned out as readable as they did. Once I decided to skip over the occasional jarring image or metaphor, I really, really enjoyed these stories.
My favourite moment would have to be the very ending of The Leprechaun and the Dandelion -- good for the wife! :)

Journal Entry 6 by winglinguistkriswing at by mail, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Monday, April 28, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (4/24/2014 UTC) at by mail, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

Congratulations on winning the handmade sweepstakes! :)

Journal Entry 7 by Izzy5000 at Kansas City, Missouri USA on Sunday, June 12, 2016
Loved this rendition of fairy tales!

Journal Entry 8 by CathrineB at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Thursday, October 27, 2016
I've never read Irish fairy tales (as far as I can remember), so it would be interesting to read these fairytales and see if I find some simalarities and differences with Norwegian fairytales!

Also, thanks for the tea bags and chocolates!

Journal Entry 9 by CathrineB at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Sunday, November 13, 2016
This was a great collection of fairy tales! I really enjoyed reading them. They were different from the fairy tales from the Norse mythology, but I did find a few simalarities; with three challenges that has to be performed to "win the prize".

Journal Entry 10 by CathrineB at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (12/6/2016 UTC) at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway

Sent to someone I hope will enjoy it!

Released as part of the advent calendar at the Scandinavian forum.