Like Water for Chocolate

by Laura Esquivel | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingfraculawing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 1/29/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingfraculawing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, April 29, 2012
Take one part Whitney Otto's How To Make an American Quilt (McKay, 1991), add a smidgen of magical realism a la Garcia Marquez, follow up with several quixotic characters, garnish with love, and you'll have Like Water for Chocolate , a thoroughly enjoyable and quirky first novel by Mexican screenwriter Esquivel. Main character Tita is the youngest of three daughters born to Mama Elena, virago extraordinaire and owner of the de la Garza ranch. Tita falls in love with Pedro, but Mama Elena will not allow them to marry, since family tradition dictates that the youngest daughter remain at home to care for her mother. Instead, Mama Elena orchestrates the marriage of Pedro and her eldest daughter Rosaura and forces Tita to prepare the wedding dinner. What ensues is a poignant, funny story of love, life, and food which proves that all three are entwined and interdependent.

Journal Entry 2 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (5/22/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Sent to a fellow BookCrosser, who chose this book from the USA/Canada Non-fiction VBB.

Enjoy.

Journal Entry 3 by rem_LovesOU at Carrollton, Texas USA on Sunday, May 27, 2012
Hooray. I received this in the mail for a Gen Lit VBB. Thank you Fracula.

Journal Entry 4 by rem_LovesOU at Carrollton, Texas USA on Tuesday, July 30, 2013
Part recipe book, part love story. Excellent read. I'm now placing into the ABC VBB. (Already Been Crossed...)

Journal Entry 5 by rem_LovesOU at Carrollton, Texas USA on Monday, October 21, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (10/20/2013 UTC) at Carrollton, Texas USA

Picked as part of the ABC VBB. Enjoy! Good story, lots of recipes.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, October 26, 2013
Arrived today. Thank you for sending it to me. I will pass it on after I read the book.

Journal Entry 7 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, February 25, 2014
Started reading this book today. This is my second 1001 read for the year. My goal is to read 20. I better get going.

Journal Entry 8 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, February 25, 2014
It was a quick read, but not what I call a "fairy Tale" like the back of the book does. This is my second 1001 book for the year.

Journal Entry 9 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (8/26/2015 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! KTM For ABC VBB to minesayn

Journal Entry 10 by wingminesaynwing at Huron, Ohio USA on Thursday, September 03, 2015
Received in the mail today...thanks booklady331 for the book and all the cartoons scattered throughout. I left them where I found them so that I can enjoy them again when reading. Always like reading more 1001-books, too.

Journal Entry 11 by wingminesaynwing at Huron, Ohio USA on Thursday, September 21, 2017
Having read about a quarter of it, I am really enjoying the book. Since it is on someone's wish list and I have a rabck to complete, I am going to send it on before I finish with this copy so that it is not delayed. BUT I already borrowed a copy from my local library so that I can finish it.

So far, Tita has had a wild birth experience, and she has had her heart broken at her mother's hand. Will there be more heartbreak and more wild food-related experiences in store for this young woman? I suspect so...planning on finishing it soon.

Finished it, and truly enjoyed the story of Tita and Pedro and the others. A bit of magical realism and lots of recipes intertwined throughout the year. Loved the natural remedies, too.

Journal Entry 12 by wingminesaynwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, September 21, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (9/21/2017 UTC) at Richmond, British Columbia Canada

"No two persons ever read the same book."--Edmund Wilson

Sharing this book with the wider world--enjoy!
I have either registered it, or received it from another person who is willing to share it, too. Consider logging onto www.bookcrossing.com and letting us know where it is been and where it is going next. It can be done anonymously or join the site as a member.

Sent via the post to the winner of the Happy Days Sweeps for the US/Canada. Chosen from your wish list; hope you enjoy this book, which also happens to be one of 1001-BYMRBYD books. Safe travels little book! Enjoy the story.

Journal Entry 13 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, September 28, 2017
Thank you so much for sending me this wishlist book even before you finished it. I look forward to reading it.

----------------------------
Updated Jan 11, 2018

I loved it. This book has a magical quality that I do not know how to describe. It is a very charming book. Read and discover for yourself.

Journal Entry 14 by wingmcsarwing at by post, RABCK Sweepstakes/Drawing -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, February 18, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (2/20/2018 UTC) at by post, RABCK Sweepstakes/Drawing -- Controlled Releases

On its way to the winner/decoy of the Culinary Sweepstakes. Enjoy this gem of a book.

Journal Entry 15 by CathrineB at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Friday, March 16, 2018
Wow! Thank you for this book, it sounds like a fun story!

And thanks for the 2 nice postcards and the funny notes and cartoons inside the book!

Journal Entry 16 by CathrineB at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Tuesday, January 15, 2019
This was a funny story! I'm glad I got the chance to read this book! But sometimes I did think "This was unrealistic", for instance with Gertrudis and the shower.