Picnic at Hanging Rock (2)

by Joan Lindsay | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0143202723 Global Overview for this book
Registered by ukcanaus of Melbourne, Victoria Australia on 1/28/2012
Journal Entry 1 by ukcanaus from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Saturday, January 28, 2012

In 1900, a class of young women from an exclusive private school go on an excursion to the isolated Hanging Rock, deep in the Australian bush. The excursion ends in tragedy when three girls and a teacher mysteriously vanish after climbing the rock. Only one girl returns, with no memory of what has become of the others . . .

Journal Entry 2 by ukcanaus at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (2/1/2012 UTC) at Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Mailed today to kayjay33, RABCK for Australia Day winner.

Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by wingkayjay33wing at Langley, British Columbia Canada on Friday, February 10, 2012
Thank you UKCANAUS, for the gift of this book which arrived today. It sounds like an intriging mystery.
I love the postcard. I have fond memories of both times I visited your lovely country.

Journal Entry 4 by wingkayjay33wing at Langley, British Columbia Canada on Monday, February 20, 2012
I have just spent a long lazy day reading a mystery that had no solution. I was intrigued but must admit that I like books to finish with all the loose ends tied up. There were still a lot of loose ends and unanswerable questions when I finished the book.
It is a small book so I will probably send it on another trip soon.

Journal Entry 5 by wingkayjay33wing at Langley, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, March 18, 2012
The book will soon go to Dove-i-Libri as she is kindly sending me one that i would like to read.

Journal Entry 6 by wingkayjay33wing at Langley, British Columbia Canada on Friday, March 30, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (3/30/2012 UTC) at Langley, British Columbia Canada

This book is on its way to Florida. I hope that you enjoy it Dove-i-Libri.

Journal Entry 7 by wingDove-i-Libriwing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, April 09, 2012
Letting you know this book has arrived safely! I'm not sure when I will get a chance to read it, but will make a journal entry when I do. Thank you so much for sending it along! I was so intrigued by the small part of the movie I saw that I was glad to see it on your bookshelf!

Oct 2, 2012: Moved to the short list, hoping that it can be released in time for Pinkoeria's November E-Less Release Challenge!

Dec 16, 2012: Oh, well, still here. Maybe next year!

March 25, 2013: Finished this book today. Very strange story. Since it's BASED on a true story, I searched articles about the actual event and read about it. Intriguing at the least .... Will be saved to release during November's E-Less Challenge. A bonus point because the author's name is also e-less!

OVERVIEW: While Joan Lindsay's haunting Australian classic Picnic at Hanging Rock is a work of fiction, the story is often considered one of Australia's greatest mysteries.

...

October 17, 2013: Offered as a RABCK to send off as part of Pinkoeria's E-Less Release Challenge in November. See this forum thread: CLICK HERE. Reserved for JMSMom.

Journal Entry 8 by wingDove-i-Libriwing at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, November 01, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (11/2/2013 UTC) at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sent off to JMSMOM as part of the E-Less Challenge. ☺ Happy Traveling, Book! ☺

Journal Entry 9 by wingjmsmomwing at Newalla, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, November 19, 2013
Received yesterday. Thanks so much Dove-i-libri for sending it. I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 10 by wingjmsmomwing at Newalla, Oklahoma USA on Friday, September 09, 2016
A very different story.

Journal Entry 11 by wingjmsmomwing at Wishlist Tag Game , a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, September 09, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (9/9/2016 UTC) at Wishlist Tag Game , a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

On its way to emmejo for wishlist tag.

Journal Entry 12 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Monday, September 12, 2016
This arrived today. Thank you!

Journal Entry 13 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Thursday, November 17, 2016
I really enjoyed this story. Like kayjay33, I tend to prefer a solid answer for mysteries that I get this emotionally involved in, but after a brief, shocked "that's it?!" moment, I think I actually liked the ending. It immediately had me turning back to re-read a couple scenes and see if I could get some extra clues, which I don't think I've ever done with a mystery before.

The characters and the humor of the writing were what really drew me in. I found so many of the people in her fascinating and amusing, walking an excellent balance between realistic motivations with complex histories and the fun of exaggerated, satirical views of the characters.

Journal Entry 14 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (10/24/2017 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

Sent out as part of a RABCK bundle. This book isn't as Halloween-y as some I could have chosen, but it is atmospheric and I think the recipient will enjoy it.

Journal Entry 15 by mcsar at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Monday, October 30, 2017
Thank you very much for the book. This arrived today with a ton of Halloween goodies just in time for Halloween. I love everything.

-------------------------
Updated Dec 3, 2017

This is a short but engaging read with very interesting characters. As others have noted, this book remains a mystery at the end. And it is this mystery that makes such a haunting tale; one still does not know what has actually happened; I for one am kept wondering about the characters and the event. I enjoyed the book.

Journal Entry 16 by mcsar at by post, RABCK Sweepstakes/Drawing -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, February 03, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (2/3/2018 UTC) at by post, RABCK Sweepstakes/Drawing -- Controlled Releases

On its way to the winner/decoy of the 2018 Australian Literature Sweepstakes. Hope you enjoy this mystery.

Journal Entry 17 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Monday, February 05, 2018
Arrived today! Sometime, mcsar, you'll have to share your secret for getting such fast mailing between Canada and the US. The book looks VERY interesting - DH says he wants to read it too. And thank you also for the extra labels and the kitty-in-the-blanket note!

Journal Entry 18 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Sunday, April 15, 2018
I loved it, DH loved it, we borrowed the film from the library and both loved that too. Here's the IMDB link:

The writing is irresistible, and the story never lets you go. The book is considered a classic of Australian literature, and rightly so. One important theme is the contrast between the natural world and ladylike refinement of the late Victorian - heading out for a picnic, the students put on corsets, petticoats, long black stockings, hats and gloves. There also might be signs of tension the oh-so-British population feels about the native aborigines (the Hanging Rock formation was an important site for the original inhabitants). I encourage readers to do a little online fossicking of their own to learn more.

I will be offering this as a bookring to share the delight with others.

Journal Entry 19 by wingJudySlump612wing at By Mail, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (11/19/2018 UTC) at By Mail, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to Bookworm-lady as the first stop in an international bookring.

Journal Entry 20 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, December 05, 2018
And here it is!
Thanks for sharing; looking forward to re-reading it. :)