The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie: A Flavia de Luce Mystery

by Alan Bradley | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Hayes13 of Roma, Lazio Italy on 1/27/2012
Journal Entry 1 by Hayes13 from Roma, Lazio Italy on Friday, January 27, 2012
In his wickedly brilliant first novel, Alan Bradley introduces one of the most singular and engaging heroines in recent fiction: eleven-year-old Flavia de Luce, an aspiring chemist with a passion for poison. It is the summer of 1950—and a series of inexplicable events has struck Buckshaw, the decaying English mansion that Flavia’s family calls home.

Journal Entry 2 by Hayes13 at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa on Friday, January 27, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (1/28/2012 UTC) at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa

Off you go, little book, on a great adventure!

I am sending this book off as part of the Stick or Twist RABCK game.

Hope you love it! I did, very much.

Journal Entry 3 by FrancesinSA at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa on Wednesday, February 15, 2012
I received this book today. Thank you, Hayes13! I have been reading favourable reviews about this book and look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 4 by FrancesinSA at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa on Wednesday, March 07, 2012

I enjoyed this very much and will definitely read the others in the Flavia de Luce series.

Journal Entry 5 by FrancesinSA at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa on Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (3/7/2012 UTC) at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa

Posting today to keeta1 who is next in the "stick" or "twist" RABCK game.

Journal Entry 6 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Friday, March 30, 2012
Arrived today, thanks so much Francesin SA and Hayes13 for sharing. Looking forward to reading it as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 7 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Tuesday, July 03, 2012
I finished this book about 2 weeks ago, but forgot to journal.
It certainly was a bit different, having a precocious 11 year old as the main character. An enjoyable read.

Journal Entry 8 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Tuesday, July 24, 2012
Sending to Deepswamp as a surprise RABCK.

Journal Entry 9 by wingkeeta1wing at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (7/24/2012 UTC) at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Surprise - Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Wednesday, August 08, 2012
Wow! Thanks a lot!
A book all the way from Italy, South Africa, New Zealand to Sweden and a total surprice!
You've made my day!

Journal Entry 11 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Friday, February 15, 2013
This was a lovely book, and a lovely first person! Thanks a lot!
Time to visit another country!

Journal Entry 12 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Friday, February 15, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (2/15/2013 UTC) at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden

A surprice rabac for you, I hope you like it!
Will have a cat as company on it's travel.....

Journal Entry 13 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, February 20, 2013
Thank you very much for the book and the cat, Deepsvamp! We used to have a cat of the same colour, Niki, when I was a child. And this book looks so wonderful that I started to read it at once. I just can't resist it! The book seems to be quite a traveller, too.

This is our Niki. He seems to have caught a mouse!

Journal Entry 14 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, February 24, 2013
This is a wonderful book! It brought back so many childhood memories.
We found also a dead man in our garden by the road. It was in the summer of 1950 or 1951. I don't remember who found the man. It must have been me and my Next brother. We always woke up early. If he had been found by someone else, the adults would not had let us see him. We were about 5 and 4 years old.The man was not quite dead at first. He was lying on his back and his feet were moving a little sideways. Soon came the local policeman and other people and we were ushered into the house. The policeman said: "He has only drunk too much!" and went away. And the man died. This picture in from the late sixties.

I had 4 younger brothers. My Next brother was very keen on Chemistry and Physics. We borrowed Organic Chemistry all the time from the Library. I read it too. Around 10-13 years we knew The Periodic Table of Chemical Elements quite well. Unlike Flavia my brother was not interested in poisons but bombs. At twelve he was known for that even in the neighbouring villages. When the shopkeepers refused to sell him herbicide and other incredients he needed for his bombs, I managed to do the shopping for a while. Luckily nobody was hurt by his bombs. Of course he says that he was so clever at it but I think there was some luck too. He liked the explosions. He did not mean to broke anything or do any other harm. He also build many kind of other things and small electrical devices. At school during the Chemistry and Physics lessons he told the teacher as well as the class mates about things he had read, for instance how television works. Things like that were not in school books yet. The teacher told me about that later.
The Next brother also sold the stamps my father had collected for me before he died in car accident. I was very angry. A little later my Third brother started to collect stamps and he still continues it. I was interested in Philately, too, but I never took it up seriously. I only talked about stamps with my Third brother. But all the things a Philatelist needs are quite familiar to me from childhood. So I know what the little things in Flavia's father's study look like. And I remember funny things through stamps like the green Swedish stamp Högertrafik 1967.

Thank you for the wonderful book, kind Bookcrossers!

Appelsiinin 52 viikkoa haasteen teemani viikolle 8: Lapsuusmuistot
Teema sopii hyvin tälle viikolle, koska yllä olevan kirjan lukemisen lisäksi syvennyin lapsuusmuistoihin laatiessani alkuviikosta kummitytölle 40-vuotislahjaksi valokuvakirjaa hänen lapsuusmuistoistaan.

Journal Entry 15 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, February 24, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (2/24/2013 UTC) at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Surprise! Wishlist-RABCK will be posted today.
Happy reading!

This is my # 14 in
"KEEP THEM MOVING 2013" Challenge arranged by Booklady331.

Journal Entry 16 by Joika at Kiiminki, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Wednesday, February 27, 2013
This was an amazing surprise. Thank you Annelis and also all of you! And thank you Annelis for sharing your childhood memories; they were so interesting to read!

This book has been on my wishlist and now it's on my bookshelf waiting for its turn.

Journal Entry 17 by Joika at Kiiminki, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Tuesday, May 14, 2013
The winner of the Crime Writers’ Association’s Debut Dagger Award in 2007.

How can a mystery be so fresh but at the same time so old-fashioned in a lovely manner? The text is like decorative carving on wood written in a modern font style, lets say "Comic Sans" for example. Okay, enough with metaphors. It must be the setting: the 1950s and a little girl as a protagonist. It kind of reminds me of "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" where it is also a little kid who starts to solve a puzzle - a novel I really liked, too.

This story was really a nice read because it was also quite light and had a twinkle in the eye. It contained humour, eccentric characters and so on. There were also some things to think about; a protagonist who had lost her mother before she got to know to her, somewhat stiff family relations and a murder (!) but the way these things were described was almost comforting. "Such is life and try to laugh at it".

I have plans for such good mystery fiction. I'm sure somebody will pick this up from "the bookshelf of awarded novels" - a game that has only recently started in the Finnish bookcrossing forum. I will offer this book there as it has won the Crime Writers’ Association’s Debut Dagger Award in 2007. It was my first time to hear about this award so I don't know how widely a known competition it is. Nevertheless, this is a mystery worth reading!

Journal Entry 18 by wingerpaxwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Many thanks for offering and sending this book, Joika! :-)
I decided to pick this from "Tarna's Trophy Cabinet" on the basis of these journals. Because this book seems to be a good read, it is reserved for Annimanni too. I'll try to read this by "Klesäpäivät", the Finnish BookCrossing convention (August 17th-18th, 2013).

Journal Entry 19 by wingerpaxwing at RABCK, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (10/29/2013 UTC) at RABCK, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

I'll make my journal entry later...

Mysteerin mukana lähti Geisha-suklaata, sillä osallistun vapautuksella Liinuskaisen Roosa nauha -haasteeseen. Lukuiloa, Annimanni! :)

Journal Entry 20 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, October 31, 2013
Wow, what a nice surprise! And chocolate to boot. Thanks ever so much, erpax - you're a sweetheart!

Journal Entry 21 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, July 12, 2014
Oh no no no no, I thought this was plain boring. Sorry! I struggled through the first 150 pages or so because I didn't have anything else to read on the way back from a week's holiday in Estonia today. But since I'm not in the least interested what actually happened to the dead man - or how Flavia will solve the mystery - I'm going to pass this onwards straight away.

Journal Entry 22 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, October 18, 2014
Thank you very much for tagging me with this wishlist book Annimanni! And a very well traveled book it is too, how fun!
I heard good things about this series, and I am looking forward to try it. :)

Journal Entry 23 by wingTsjarawing at Zaandam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, December 15, 2018
Flavia is quite an interesting character. Though how she managed to solve the murder did stretch the believability a bit. Sometimes the story dragged slightly, especially when she went on in a rambling mood. All in all an amusing read, but I don't think I will search out the next in the series.

Journal Entry 24 by wingTsjarawing at Zaandam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, April 19, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (4/19/2019 UTC) at Zaandam, Noord-Holland Netherlands

On its way to France. Apologies for the delay. I have been carrying the package around in my bag for a week but didn't make it to the post office until now.
I hope you'll enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 25 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, April 26, 2019
I think I have made a good choice in choosing this first sentence.
A well-travelled book at that !
Thank you Tsjara.

Journal Entry 26 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, May 01, 2019
A good choice indeed, I had a good time being eleven and in the same time so clever and naive in the sweet English 1950.

Journal Entry 27 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, May 01, 2019
My May offer in "One book a Month offered" thread.

Journal Entry 28 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Released 5 days ago (6/11/2019 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to Thebookfox. I hope that you enjoy it as I did.