The Chocolate War

by Robert Cormier | Teens | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingKateKintailwing of Burke, Virginia USA on 1/27/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, January 27, 2012
Picked this up from the Book Thing of Baltimore, Inc. a few weeks back.

I read another copy and thought this:
This is one of those books kids read in school, but I never got a chance to read it; it was for students in the reading level below mine. So I played catch-up here and finally made a point of reading it.

It says a lot about social structures, peer pressure, and institutions. I like that the sides weren't just "sell chocolate" or "don't sell chocolate." I like all the gray areas and the thought that sprung up thanks to just one single student in a whole school who refused to participate in an entirely optional venture. That was so brave. Even when he wasn't sure about why he was making a statement, he was inspiring others to think for themselves and question their world. He was showing what was possible in this limited environment.

The Vigils were a very interesting group. I love secret society stories, with their strange structures and rules. I loved Obie by the end of the book. And I was SHOCKED when it came down to choosing a second marble from that bag during the big fight. I think it was rigged. I don't know for sure... but I think it has to be. Grrrrr!

I enjoyed it, but it didn't completely change my worldview the way books like The Giver did. That was slightly disappointing, but only slightly. It was a good read and one I'm glad I made. I even started reading the sequel the other day. I'm interested to see where the story could go from there. I also really enjoyed the note from the author at the beginning of the audiobook as he talked about the Young Adult Fiction genre in general and how he found his way into it sort of by mistake. I'm so glad he did!

Journal Entry 2 by wingKateKintailwing at Ballston Common Mall - Food Court in Arlington, Virginia USA on Friday, January 27, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (1/28/2012 UTC) at Ballston Common Mall - Food Court in Arlington, Virginia USA

Releasing this at a BCinDC meetup.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by beautyredefined at Arlington, Virginia USA on Saturday, January 28, 2012
Picked it up at the BCinDC meetup at the urging of many! Should hopefully get to it soon.